Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

As you may or may not know, I'm considering getting a camper. Camping in my motorcycle trailer is OK, however I would like to have something with a bathroom in it. Also, the RATS don't mind sleeping in tents, however they are too young to set up and break the tents down and I'm a little tired of doing it every weekend. Therefore I'm considering getting a camper.

Are there any models / brands that I should stay away from?

What's up with these newer trailers that are all flat sided. Almost look like fiberglass. Are they OK, or are they flimsy? They just look really fragile ( no offense to anyone who has one - I know you do Riv ) I'm just used to seeing them covered in aluminum siding. These new flat types DO look easier to clean that's for sure !!

Here's one what I'm considering ...

2002 Coachman 24' Travel Trailer

[hr]

[/align]Coachman model 248TBQ, "Spirit of America" model. Separate Main Bdrm with queen bed, twin bunks in rear. Full bath and kitchen w/dinette. Ducted heat and roof air. Full awning, and accessories ( level jacks, sewer hoses, water hose etc, ). Fully self contained and in excellent shape. Tows easily, only 4200 lbs dry weight. Used very little...it's a must see!! [/align]

[/align]

It includes the hitch and stuff nessary to tow it and the RV cover ( which leads me to believe he takes good care of it )

Here's another that I was considering. It's the hard sided type. Basicaly the same layout ...

2000 Coachmen 248TB

[/align] [/align][/align]

RV Type:
Travel Trailers

Year:

Make:
Coachmen

Model:
248TB

Length:

Number of Slides:

Sleeps:

GVWR:
7000 lbs

Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
dhattaway
Default RE: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

Both of those look like nice units. If you like camping you'll love having a travel trailer. I've had two - a 28 ft travel trailer and a 38 ft fifth wheel (the fifth wheel is the reson we got the 3500 dually). Both of them are smooth sided. Not flimsy at all, as nice as anything out there. As for strength, when was the last time you saw a motorhome with the slat siding on it? Make sure you get a load leveling hitch and sway control for the trailer. Those make pulling much more stable and comfortable. With the size and power requirements of either of those (probably 30 amps) you should be good to camp almost anywhere, State parks, national parks, etc. And for 3 or 4 hundred bucks you should be able to get a portable generator that will let you run everything including your A/C if you camp somewhere without power.

Good luck and have fun!

Duane

Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Bigriver

Hey my Brotha........I'm not really too familiar with the good models vs. the bad ones. One thing that I can advise about is that the aluminum sided slats like the one in the photos typically have a wooden frame. Now, if by chance the trailer should ever leak the wood becomes wet, and you can guess the results. In recent years, the mid to upper munufacturershave been using aluminum frames. In regards to slide outs, the lesser brands sometimes have leakage problems along with design flaws. As I mentioned before, these are nothing more than living cubicles rolling down the highway flexing and bouncing as they go. Stuff moves and the all require maintainace I do not know enough about different brands to offer an opinion on what to stay away from. If I were looking for a used trailer, I'd narrow down to a few brands, then look for the best model from the right person. I'm not so sure about buying from a dealer cause you don't know who the previous owner was. But on the other hand, at least the dealer would maybe give you a 30 day warranty. I suppose a good background in my opinion would be from a older couple without kids or pets, that dry stored the camper indoors. Are you considering a 5'ver also. I enjoy the benifits of mine, though I can't put anything in the bed of the truck now. Hey, what do ya think of those toy box style of 5'vers? You could tote your Harley camping, then convert the garage to sleeping quarters for the rugrats. Either way ya go, I'm glad to see ya thinking along the camping way of life !

Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: dhattaway
As for strength, when was the last time you saw a motorhome with the slat siding on it?
I hear ya, and I agree that I haven't seen a motorhome with aliminum siding on it, however they DO seem to have some sort of metal covering them. I dunno, I guess I'm just being un-nessarily nervous / cautious. These newer ones just don't look as strong or as beefy as the older ones. Even though they're beautiful inside, some of them appear to be cheaply made, not like stuff from back in the day. You know what I mean? Not trying to offend anyone, just trying to learn a little. If I buy something, much like my Dodge,I want it to LAST !!

I hear ya about hte hitch and all. The 1st trailer that I have up top includes the hitch and sway bars. I never contacted the second guy, I just found that one.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

It's not the cammping that's new to me, I've been doing that my whole life, it's the camper itself. I'm just not real familiar with what's good and what's not. You know - like how you used to be cautioned against Bayliners if you were buying a boat? That kinda stuff.

Here's how I've been camping ...

Name:  Picture002.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  Picture004-1.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  128.7 KB

Here you kinda get the idea of the "tent city" that I need to errect every time we go out ...

Name:  easter2006039.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  72.5 KB

Here's the inside. Cozy, but lacking a much needed bathroom ...

Name:  DSC00256.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  70.6 KB

Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Bigriver

Oh.......and if ya got a few hours to kill, try looking at" rvtrader.com " Theres enough there to really kill the day !

Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
behindbars

This is what we went with. Garage in back holds 1 dresser or maybe 2 smaller bikes. Has a set uf bunks back there if you're not hauling the bike. Fifth wheel takes up your bed but pulls like a dream.

You could always put the scoot in the bed of the truck if you get a regular travel trailer. It's just kind of a pain in the butt. Both those campers look like they're in pretty good shape though.

That is a prety slick set up you got. They brass light on the side of the trailer makes the whole thing.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/l...31KFW-90423187

Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend

LOL - I'm already looking there. that's where I found the second one that I have above.

You mentioned the 5er. I have a tonneau cover on my truck so a 5er is out, however have you ever seen anyone use one of these ...

Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

believe me its worth losin the cover for the 5er... even so you can take the cover off when you wanna go camping...

Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: behindbars

That is a prety slick set up you got. They brass light on the side of the trailer makes the whole thing.
Thanks !! I get a lot of interrest in my little trailer whenI pull it up. everyone wants to know what it is. The brass light I have mounted to a black piece of acrylic with a flicker flame bulb in it. It's pretty cool. The canopy that I use is one of those EZ-ups. I sit on top of the buckets to give me the height needed and I fill the buckets up with water to hold the whole thing down. With each bucket weighing about 40 lbs when full, it's help up against some pretty strong winds just fine.

I love the looks I get when people look at my step. the recognize it, but can't figure out where they've seen it. It's one of those Suzane Summers steppers. I just removed all of the stickers and bolted it together so that it no longer comes apart. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'd LOVE to have a rig like that bars, however until my lottery ticket comes in, I don't see it happening. that rig you have is beautiful !!

I'm going to keep my little black trailer. When I go camping with the RATS I don't take my bike anyway, so a regular ole camper is all that I need. When I take a bike trip, I leave the RATS and the ladyfriend at home.

Quick Reply: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??