Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??

I hear that..... Not sure if i wanna pay on somtin that long and have the fear of sum *** slamin into my home....

Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Mayfair, the two you pictured look like nice units. I have had two aluminum sided trailers and the next WILL be fiberglass. My last camper also had a front window, and my current one and any futue ones won't. Front windows leak, some sooner and some later but they all leak. My next camper will also be a 5er, they are easier to hookup and unhook, and tow / turn better. The bunks are the best thing since sliced bread and are required for any camper I buy. I also like the Forrest River campers and am thinking about a Wildcat model next. I would really love a Cedar creek because they are gel-coat fibergalss and really well built. They are just not fitting my budget just now. Let us know what you get.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

I went through the same type of process back in the spring. We ended up buying a brand new (leftover 2005) trailer, got a very nice deal on it, but if I had known then what I know now, I would not have done it.
We bought a Fleetwood 5th wheel. Well we took a trip with it, and came home with a whole sheet full of paper with all the things that needed to be warrantied. I dropped the trailer off on July 30th, and still dont have it back. More on that in a minute.
Although I did not do it, I should have went here http://www.rv.org/first and payed the 78 bucks for the cd with all the ratings on trailers.
As far as fiberglass vs metal siding, I think it is personal preference, or $$$ preference.
As for buying a used trailer, before you buy check here http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...p=0&f=5602You can find out if it is a decent price or not.

Try checking out some of the RV forums and look for any input you can find on any certain model you are considering.

In talking to many people RV's quality seems to be very lacking, these things are slapped together as fast and as cheap as possible, and it is up to the first owner to make the dealer and/or factory fix everything. The more I read about them and talk to people about them, even the most expensive ones have issues once in a while, but it does appear that you get what you pay for. A $15k fleetwood will no doubtedly have more warranty work to be done than a $75k Alpha.

Like I said my trailer had a multitude of problems. Most of my issues have been with the dealer themselves, and as such the trailer is now actually at the factory instead of the dealer. I guess the bright side is once I finally get it back, everything should be fixed, and since we bought it so cheap, it is worth more than we actually paid for it. We have actually considered selling it once it is all fixed, and getting something different.

Good luck in your search, and not that I am an expert (I do stay at Holiday Inn Express ocassionally), but I have spent HUNDREDS of hours doing research on these things, and if I canhelp ya out, let me know.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

Try checking out some of the RV forums and look for any input you can find on any certain model you are considering.
Are you familiar with any?

It's interresting that the fiberglass is so popular. I thought it was a way for RV builders to save money and make campers cheaper. I was actually leaning towards the aluminum one. Now I'm wondering if i shouldn't lean more towards the older fiberglass one.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

http://www.rv.net
http://www.rvforum.net
http://www.rvforums.com
http://www.irv2.com
http://forum.rvtravel.com

Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Have you used or do you prefer one over the other?

Looks like Mayfair may hafta wander a bit and introduce himself on another forum for a minute huh? Think they can handle it?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Go easy on em at first Mayfair.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Bigriver

Hey Mayfair, For what it's worth, I understand that you're only looking at used models, but if by chance you decide to purchase a new unit, I have a suggestion. I'm guessing that 80% of the rv manufaturers are in northern Indiana. Some great deals can be found there.

That's where I bought mine last year. I decided on a make and model, found a dealer 20 miles from the factory, and swung the deal on the phone. This was pending my inspection approval once I arrived there. It was definately worth my driving from New Orleans to northern Indiana to purchase my camper. It was amazing to see all the campers heading south as I traveled north of Indianapolis. Just a thought .....

Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 AM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

"fiberglass sided one weighs 7000lbs whereas the aluminum sided one weights 4400 lbs."

Yep..thats whatI was saying.. aluminum is going to be lighter.. all things equal..

7000lbs and 4400lbs is a big difference though... there has to be other differences such as a slide or framing.. I have heard some negative things about aluminum framing.. it is lighter but if used in cold climates it causes condensation to build up.. aluminum transfers temperature but wood is an insulator..

I've seen some really nice toy hauler travel trailers soI know they are out there..and a lot of them come with generators...... I'm not sure what a Harley weighs.. butI bet a 2500 could easily handle the hitch weight plus the harley in the back.. if you have an qualizer hitch..

delam can happen even on new trailers.. my bro-in-law has a 2005 with some delam around a window.. he doesn't seem to be too worried about it.. id' imagine it has a leak

I thinkthere'd be no problemcoating a sheet metal roof with rubber roof coating.. I think you can even buy the stuff at wal-mart pretty cheap.

Fiberglass is probably heavier than the aluminum skin, but the weight differences come in from the framing and whether the unit has a slide or not.
Most of the older models are wooden framed - heavy. The newer units are aluminum framed. The fiberglass siding adds a bit of rigidity. Slides add weight, not only because of the extra area, but because the trailer frame has to be a bit heavier as well.
Of course the more options and extras, the more weight. its amazing how fast all those things add up.

Good luck on yuor search.

Glenn

Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
JDH
Rookie

Mayfair

I did a search of craigs list here in houston its a long drive but!
http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/447832757.html

Quick Reply: Hey Campers - Are there any models that I should stay away from ??