Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

OT(for sharx ;-) CB/ANTENNA mount!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT(for sharx ;-) CB/ANTENNA mount!

Hey guys, for those of you that have a CB, where did you mount it in your 2nd gens? and also for everyone, where did you mount your antenna's?(im prob spelling that very wrong!)....i have a tool box in the truck now nad was thinking about off of that, i am going to run duals, yes some people think its stupid, but on the drive to maine, i like to know what is ahead of me and what detours i can take so duals along with my cobra weather band cb will work good i think!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain
Default RE: OT(for sharx ;-) CB/ANTENNA mount!

I have two 3' sticks mounted to the front of the bed in front of my tool box, and a 6' on the roof that is removeable, I don't use that one, the cap stays on the one for the roof.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

dude, you got 3??? that is badass! haha i think i am going to drill into my box instead of the bed and run duals that way....where did u run ur wire into the truck?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
jakebrake
Champion

2 3footers on the headache rack. CB is mounted infront of the middle seat with the face pointing up.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Although dual antennas might look cool, their functionality by not being the proper distance apart is somewhat lacking. If you want looks is one thing, HOWEVER if you want the best performance, I would suggest a full 1/4 wave antenna (approx 96"). Antennas that fall in this category, the obviousfull sizestainless steel whip and the Fiberglass whip (Francis Amazer is one that comes to mind). Outside of those two the only other antenna I would even consider would be the Wilson 1000 antenna.
Big trucks can get away with dual antennas and make them fairly functional, because of the width of the rig. Dual whips properly tuned will have a somewhat directional effect, which is not always desireable when mobile.

One tip though, if you get a full size stainless steel whip there is usually a little ball on the tip of it, take it to an anvil and smash that ball and take it off, they have been known to hang up in tree limbs and other overhead object causing alot of damage to the vehicle it is mounted to.

If I can help anymore, let me know. I do have a fair amount of experience with Radio stuff, as not only an amateur radio operator (and cb guy before that), but was aradio tech for almost 9 years before this new career.
I also have a buddy that owns a CB shop and either has or can get ANYTHING you want if you can't find something you are looking for.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Wire is ran to under the carpet,through the side panels and under the headliner to the roof and for the ones in the bed it is under carpet and out the cab vents behind the rear seat

Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Im hoping to mount mine at the front of the bed, I dont think the stacks will interfere with them, dual 3' fire sticks.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
sharx ram
Champion

This isnt OT...its about truck stuff I dont really care whether it is OT or not, I was just busting your stones hehehe, and Iam glad to see it worked

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

actually a large metal object next to the antenna will have an effect on it, you may or may not ever get the SWR to match properly, which is important if you want the radio to actually work.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

A trucker suggested to me, if I wanted to run duals to make one functional and one dummy. His reason was duals were too hard to tune properly.

Quick Reply: OT(for sharx ;-) CB/ANTENNA mount!