Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Quick response needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007 | 06:39 PM
energinerbuzzy
|
Banned
Default Quick response needed!!!

Hey guys, I finally got around to installing my Leveling kit today and it turned out a lot easier than I thought. Only took an hour and a half to do both sides, only had one jack and did it by my self.
Anywho, thats for another thread.
I need help here, I have no idea what I should torque the wheel lugs to? I have a torque wrench but these feel different than other wheels I have had. I don't want to tighten the hell out of them. Does anyone know what the standard specs are for torquing lug nuts?
Also , anyone out there running E load rated Pro Comp Extremes, what tire pressure are you running? Mine have had 65 psi in them since day one but I read on the tire that it's 65 psi MAX cold at full load. What would normal operating psi be for these on a CTD.

I hope someone chimes in quick, I need to get my lugs torqued down so I can go to work tomorrow....lol

Old 12-02-2007 | 06:45 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Quick response needed!!!

torque to about 120ft lbs to start.

if you have a haynes or chiltons (even the trucks handbook) should give ya wheel torque specs.

with a 2500 and up size truck, run 55 - 65 psi all around. when youre loaded. check the door for the rating..some are 80psi loaded in the rear.

Old 12-02-2007 | 07:14 PM
energinerbuzzy
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kev_n_AZ

torque to about 120ft lbs to start.

if you have a haynes or chiltons (even the trucks handbook) should give ya wheel torque specs.

with a 2500 and up size truck, run 55 - 65 psi all around. when youre loaded. check the door for the rating..some are 80psi loaded in the rear.
Yeah but these tires are different. My stock tires said 80 psi max cold at full load but these say 65 max. Both are E load rated.
But I kept the stock tires at 70psi .
So the sticker on the door does me no good with aftermarket tires.

Old 12-02-2007 | 07:16 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

I read some where that the torque should be 135ftlb.

Old 12-02-2007 | 07:46 PM
energinerbuzzy
|
Banned

Thats on par with what I have been able to find on the web. Still want to know about PSI in the pro comps though.........Sharx, where the hell are ya when your needed???
He runs the same tire , he should know.

thanks guys.

Old 12-02-2007 | 07:58 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Just do like they do at Walmart to torque the lug nuts. When you hear the nut go, "CREEEEEK" it's tight enough.

Old 12-02-2007 | 08:07 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Haynes Manual says Torque the lugs to 145 ft lbs for the 2500

If I don't know exactly what to run I run the max and use a tread depth gauge to watch my tread wear, if it wears in the middle, pressures to high and on the sides to low or the simple way...ask sharx

Don't forget to Align that front end cause your levelin kit will throw it off a little, and if you put in lift coils instead of spacers check it againin amonth or so because they will settle and put it off again....

Old 12-02-2007 | 08:14 PM
savage.basher

My haynes manual says 155ftlbs (I have the same truck as you), I put 150 on them with my "clicker" torque wrench.

I have Pro Comp xtreme all-terrain 305/65r17's E load. They say run 65, andI did for a while to let the bead set??... but I dropped them down to 55 after a month or so.

I thought you said you had 35/12.50s?? You must be running an 18" wheel to still have E load huh.

Old 12-02-2007 | 08:31 PM
energinerbuzzy
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

My haynes manual says 155ftlbs (I have the same truck as you), I put 150 on them with my "clicker" torque wrench.

I have Pro Comp xtreme all-terrain 305/65r17's E load. They say run 65, andI did for a while to let the bead set??... but I dropped them down to 55 after a month or so.

I thought you said you had 35/12.50s?? You must be running an 18" wheel to still have E load huh.

Yup, 35 x 12.5 x 18 I think I'll go ahead and back off on the PSI a little then. I have noticed that when I roll thru dirt or dust that only the center of the tire gets dirty. It stays clean about 1 1/2" from the edges, basicly that part of the tread doesn't see the road at all yet. And I did a burnout the other day and when I went back to look, all it was were two skinny marks like a stock tire............lol.
As for the torque, I went out and did it to 145 and I'll check it each day for a few days then torque it to 155.

BTW, all the damn metric nuts and bolts on this truck have cost me $250 in new tools since I've had the thing!! I still need to go buy a metric socket tommorrow for the track bar bolt. It's only half *** tight because I didn't want to round it out with a standard socket.

Old 12-02-2007 | 08:52 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

Well where's the pics....

Quick Reply: Quick response needed!!!