Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

clogged cat questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged cat questions

How do you know if the cat is clogged does it run poorly or have high egts? Smarty jr smokes more than I thought it would I'm thinking the cat is gonna plug up sooner or later. Guess I need to get alength of 4" delete pipe for when it does?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
jedrph
Rookie
Default RE: clogged cat questions

we had 3 cats go out on our old chevy caprice. Not sure about a diesel, but with a gasser it just kind of stalls out, no power at all. I'd imagine beginning signs would be higher egt's. Stuff some banana's in your tail pipe to test!! If you do get the cat delete "test" pipe from DM let me know how it sounds. I was seriously considering getting one because I don't care for the grill smell, much rather smell like good ole diesel. I think it's legal here in PA, at least for now.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she's gunna smoke with that smarty

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
triton
Record Breaker

it wouldn't run at all if the cat was clogged. Or it might run for a little while and then die. There would be no reason a cat in a 07 would be clogged though. Is it a 6.7L you have ? If so, that dreaded particulate filter could be your problem.

You can buy a precut " cat delete pipe " for it though several places. It's known as a " cat test pipe " I tell you what, when I removed mine I saw a 100F drop in egt's. It's worth it.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
jedrph
Rookie

Triton, how much more sound does it make without the cat. I was going to keep my muffler. Thanks. Oh, by the way thanks for the info on the smarty's. I've decided I'm getting a Jr for Christmas.
D.J., thanks as well for your input on the smarty Jr. Helped me make my decision.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM
jakebrake
Champion

My thoughts would be slow to build boost, low power, high exhaust temps, and possibly egr system codes

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jedrph

Triton, how much more sound does it make without the cat. I was going to keep my muffler. Thanks. Oh, by the way thanks for the info on the smarty's. I've decided I'm getting a Jr for Christmas.
D.J., thanks as well for your input on the smarty Jr. Helped me make my decision.
it will definitely be louder. I think the cat does more for sound than the muffler itself. The mufflers are pretty restrictive too so your truck would love to have the cat removed with a straight thru flow muffler. If you have a resonator that plays a big part in keeping down the sound too but restrictive at the same time.

If you want a truck that sounds like a diesel, remove it and put a good muffler on. If you prefer the Cadillac cruise, leave it alone. besides... it's illegal to remove a cat [sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
jedrph
Rookie

It's really illegal to remove cat?? I know that on gassers this is the case, but here in PA diesels are exempt from emissions testing. If no restrictions on emissions, how could it be illegal? My logic anyway!!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
triton
Record Breaker

because the cat is federally mandated as is tampering with any emission equipment. The states are suppose to enforce the law but, don't put a lot into it i think.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

It's a 5.9 and I'm wondering what to do here to make it sound good. I'm pretty sure the cat is gonna plug up smarty smokes a loton the 100hp program which I intend to run full time after I slap my egt gauge in there this weekend.I need to be ready for it and have my new muffler or deleteready to install. I've got the high grade T306 SS mbrp 4" catback system. I would like to get a couple of 306 clamps and a section of 306 delete pipe does anyone sell a delete kit in the high grade or am I going to have to settle for something that's gonna make my exhaust rust? I want to try the delete first and see how it goes. If it drones too loudly I'm yanking the mbrp muffler and gonna try a nelson or something which won't be stainless but I hear they don't drone and that's what I may end up having to do... any thoughts?

Quick Reply: clogged cat questions