Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

computer flash

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:38 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer flash

hey guys, been trying to decide if i can make it worth it to take my truck in to have my computer flashed for new tire size. so, to try to make it worth it, i want to flash everything i can that i could use, either now, or eventually. such things as the high idle feature and whatnot. i don't know what all is available, thats why i'm asking you all. i just dont want to spend $80+ just to recalibrate my speedo... thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: computer flash

You dealer charges you to flash for the tires

That sucks! Mine walked out and did it right there in the parking lot and said to have a great day. And no it isn't just cause I'm a woman who batted my eyes and asked nice....the hubby took it up that day

Seriously though call a few other dealers near by...one of them might do it for nothing.

As for other flashes...umm high idle is the only one I know of off the top of my head. I'm sure Parts has a whole list for ya.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
mytowrig
Captain

lucky you. i only have 2 dodge dealerships to choose from within over 100 miles.... oh yeah, west texas blows!!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

I am taking mine in Wednesday to have the TCM transmission stuff flashed...I and they are going to "update" everything else I guess. Not to take your thread away from you, but anyone know what allthey do in a flash? and what they can update on my 2002? thanks!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

Had my speedo done Friday. I went in about two months ago and they told me it would cost 20-30 bucks I went in Friday to have the G30 recall done and the service writer told me that would be $89 and I told him he was out of his F'n mind. Well after sitting there a few mins I asked to talk to the service manager since he was in there when they told me $20-$30 two months ago. So he comes out and tells me it cost $69 but he will do it for $49 and I told him no thanks and why would it cost anything since they were all ready in the computer to do the update flash on the recall. Well about 15mins before they finished my truck he comes finds me and tells me they went ahead a did it for nothing since I was a loyal dodge owner and always gave them good reports on the survey that were sent to me and would I do the same on this one. I guess he knew he was going to get slammed on this survey.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

thats cool it worked out that way for ya

Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't "flash" your truck to recalibrate the speedometer. Flashing refers to updating software. To recalibrate or turn on high idle is much simpler. When a truck is flashed it willget all past and presentsoftware updates. There are features that can be enabled or disabled. Can't remember them all. But high idle, Daytime running lights, rolling locks, automatic unlock, horn beep/ light flash when doors lock/unlock, headlight delay time are a few that I remember. I do these for free for my customers or for forum members. This process does take a few minutes, but to charge more that 1/2 hour for labor is too much in my opinion. But then I can use the STAR Scan and not have to pay/get a tech to do it.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

If my dads client doesnt end up doing all this for me..im heading you way in about 2 weeks..banjo bolts and all!

thanks alot man!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
mytowrig
Captain

wish i lived close enough..

Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Don't forget the interior accessory delay. I love that one. Turn the key off and the radio and windows and cig lighter stay working for the amount of time they set it to or until you open a door. You can choose a couple different times but just go for the max (10 minutes I think).

Quick Reply: computer flash