Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

17 dollars to repair rear window

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 dollars to repair rear window

I now have a half racing rear window, I made a lextan replacement and siliconed it into give me time to find the best slider madefor our trucks.

I have to call Dave Monday and get him to find out from his glass man to see what he recommends to replace it with and if I can't get it here I order from him.

But I do have a fix for the stock ones, you need and strip of metal same size and as the window edge a about an inch wide and have a 90 degree angle bent to about 3/16 to strengthen the metal and then silicone it to the glass to protect the edge

Get a clear tint applied to the inside so if your on the road it will hold together so you can get home, because the stock will fall apart and be all over the place, if I hadn't taped it right away I wouldn't have made it the few miles to the house without it falling out

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: 17 dollars to repair real window

ORIGINAL: handymanherb

I made a lextan replacement and siliconed it in
What's next ??

Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 AM
handymanherb
Banned

Hey this counts as a mod as I cut 15 pounds in weight, I can really get them off the line now .

No the lextan is just there to keep the rain and hands out till I can get what I want, the stock one broke to easy with no edge protection, besides most the glass guys seem to have just started yesterday so I 'm looking for someone who will be there to cover a bad install, I don't want it to be like my DAK trans, they changed name and moved mangers around and my warrenty was gone in a few months,if I don't decide to do it myself

Before Mayfair has Granny rocking in the back of my truck I show the pics, now I could have done better, but only used a razor knife,silicone,tapeand did it in the dark, but I showed it can be done for an emerency repair just about anywhere

If I taped off the edge and painted the black trim in you couldn't see the silicone, but the main thing it keep the cold out , it dropped to 55 this morning LOL

Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
handymanherb
Banned

Bump

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Herg, that looks good for a quick fix.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Here's a 1/2 decent question ...

How many of you actually open or use the rear slider?

I think I've head my slider open MAYBE 3 times since I've owned my Ram. Once was just to see if it worked.

Do you think sliders are even necessary? Would going back to just a flat back window REALLY effect your day?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Methos
Veteran

I agree with P/S. Looks good for the quick fix to keep the cold and rain out for sure. Beats the plastic bags and duct tape I see around here all the time by a mile.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Methos
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I think I've head my slider open MAYBE 3 times since I've owned my Ram. Once was just to see if it worked.

Do you think sliders are even necessary? Would going back to just a flat back window REALLY effect your day?
I used to use my slider all the time, but that was back when I had a regular cab and was easy to reach to open/close while driving. Can't reach the one while cruising down the road in my quad cab so I don't think I've ever had it open. Closed it once because it was open when I left the dealer's lot, but that's about it.

If it were power to make it easy to open, yeah, I'd probably make good use of it.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I know how Herb uses his. I do the same thing, open the slider and put a long item up through the cab to keep it from hanging off the end of the tail gate too far. Other than that, I usually don't touch it.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I probably would not have even noticed it if you had not pointed out that it was a quick fix.

Quick Reply: 17 dollars to repair rear window