Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AIR BRAKES???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR BRAKES???

hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering today as I waited in traffic, has anyone ever thought about putting some form of air brakes on a 2500 or a 3500? This occured to me as I came to a stop at the stop light, the semi next to me pulled the pressure release, and made that piisshhhh sound. Many of the cummins on the road have stacks or aftermarket exhaust systems, exhaust brakes, and some even have the semi horn. So I just got to thinking, why has no one that I can think of done this to a truck, I searched google but to no avail. Is this illegal for consumer vehicle with theDOTor something?

Just stirring the pot a little bitAny thoughts would be interesting.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: AIR BRAKES???

One of the many jobs I had during my college days was school bus driver. The bus I drove had a GVW of 26,000 lbs and was equipped with air brakes (and a Cummins 6b engine). They work well on a heavy vehicle, but I can't imagine having air brakes on a light duty truck like a Dodge Ram. For one thing, the conversion would be very expensive. The system requires a very reliable engine driven compressor and a large tank. As a fail-safe, if you get any sort of air failure thesystem goesinto full parking brake mode. I imagine it would be possible to convert your Ram to air brakes, but I would not suggest it. Maybe a mechanic like Jakebrake could tell you more.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
BC847
Rookie

There are a number of folks who've converter to a hydroboost system.

As an example ~ http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products/mopar_ram/

Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Airbrakes would be a downgrade on our Rams. They're really a lousy antiquated brake system anyways I don;t know why we still have them on big trucks and why we can;t move into the 21st century like Europe and have electronic brakes pon 18 wheelers. Well I do know why, electronic aren't DOT apporved. Air brakes would also require you to have a commercial driver's license. Yeah they sound cool but really they are sucky brakes. You hit the brake pedal in a big truck and there is a couple of seconds before anything happens. Really just all around inferior...

Old 02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If you want the sound, just put an air compreesor and tank under your hood and put a solenoid valve on there. When you want the sound, just release the valve for a second or two.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:47 AM
PapawDan1871

But what about using it for a parking brake alone? Commonly when you find trucks for sale, specifically standards, they don't have a working parking brake. Though this could be an easy fix, could you swap it for a pneumatic parking brake with hydraulic pedal brake?

Old 06-24-2024, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

16 year old thread?

Old 06-24-2024, 02:28 PM
PapawDan1871

Yeah I saw that, don't expect to get an answer really.

Quick Reply: AIR BRAKES???