Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Block heater question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block heater question

OK, I bought the missing cord and the block heater keeps the engine toasty warm, now the question is: When do you guys use it?

What temps prompt you to plug in the heater, and at what temps do you unplug? Do any of you have a temperature-controlled switch that provides heat when needed, yet saves on the electric bill when heat is unnecessary?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Block heater question

I start to plug my Ram in once the temps staart to drop below 40 degrees. I don't have a temp switch, I use a timer. Having the heater on all night isn't going to make it any warmer than if you just plug it in about 3 hours before take off.

Just use a heavy duty timer ( heater draws about 700 watts ) and set itto go on about3 or 4 hours before you leave for work.

Here is what my timer set-up looks like. I have the red night light plugged into it also so that I can see from a distance that it's turned on

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Scott91370
Professional

Mayfair- I like the nightlight idea!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Mayfair
Legend

You like that huh? Well here's another mod that I copied from the master himself.

Diesel Demon turned me onto this one. It's a battery charger that goes on when the timer / block heater goes on. That way the batteries will be fully charged when I fire it up.

Name:  Gaugespillar010-1.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  114.3 KB

Props to the Master !!

Name:  2006train0242RESIZE.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  41.2 KB

He also turned me onto the idea of relocating the heater cord connection to the rear of the truck instead of the front. Since I back into my driveway, this worked out perfect for me

Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
UpBranchLiner

-0 and below Ill plug it in. Fired right up -15 with the wind howling 35+mph

Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Mayfair, I'm pretty impressed. Thats a really clean mod and looks like it works out for you pretty good.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Thanks man

If you look, you'll see that the extension cord that I used when I relocated my plug in port has 3 places to plug stuff into it.

1. Block Heater
2. Battery Charger
3. I was actually thinking about plugging in one of those ceramic heaters into it that would be mounted inside of the cab. That way when you get in in the morning the cab will already be nice and toasty.

YEP ... another Diesel Demon tip / suggestion

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Like Mayfair, I generally plug mine in if the temp drops below 40 degrees F. I have an Intermatic digital timer in my garage that the extension cord is plugged into. I set it to operate for about two hours prior to startup. According to my Edge monitor, the coolant temp will be about 80 degrees when I turn the key.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Mayfair, do you have any more pics of the relocated plug in or a parts list? I back into my driveway too, and it's kind of godi having 15 feet of cord on my driveway when I leave for work in the morning. I'd love to set up something like that on mine.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I thought I did a write up at the time, but I can't find it. Unfortunately I no longer remember the part number for the most important and hardest to find part, and that would be the socket. What's so hard about it is that it's a MALE socket, not a female. I wound up having luck finding it at an electrical supply house. I also chohe to use a single gang cover ( the black one ) rather than the silver one shown with the socket in the picture.

As far as the installation goes, honestly it's pretty straightforward. I used a 14 gauge regular ole 3 way orange extension cord ( onlythe clear partglows a cool red when it's plugged in ) that I cut the male end off of ( don't need it ). The reason I chose a 3 way is because I alredy knew that I wanted to incorporate the battery charger into the mix. I figured if I'm heating the block, I might as well also charge the batteries.

I attached the head of the cord to the wall of my K&N box, and then just ran the cord along and inside of the frame rails by fishing it inside of one of the holes towards the front. Then i just worked my way to the back and ran it out by the reciever. I attached the electrical box to the reciever by drilling 2 mounting holes and used 10-32 nuts and bolts to attach it. I ran a fitting with a rubber boot inside of it into the inlet port for the wire to run through. I pulled the wire through, and Iheavily siliconed every hole or possible way for water to enter the box from the inside. I then wired up the socket, and then with a little modification attached it to the cover. the cover came with it's own waterproof gasket that I used before putting the whole thing together.

Once all of that was done, I covered the entire cord with split loom and secured any loose hanging wire with zip ties. I then plugged it in and it passed the test. It's been working pretty good foralmost year now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/337DF23E2FAE4AAC8610B5D0974A9F96.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/3C569414DC25417DAE061795C4B07CED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/5F3E59D7D72A4FFDAD1293FBB65F2CA6.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Block heater question