Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate

Well I Decided to go with Suncoast, But should I upgrade my flexplate or not. I'm gonna be on my 100hp Smarty tune full time, its an additional $432. Not sure how much it takes to break the stock ones. I need Advice and soon, might be going coast to coast within the next 30days!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Bigriver
Default RE: Flexplate

Go for the ATS Flex Plate. Sleep better with no regrets. You don't want to have to go back into it later.........out on the road ..........in bum f*%k egypt.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Big River,
Is ATS better than suncoast? I got a suncoast shop w/n like 5 miles, where as ATS is not very local to say the least, but I definately want to make sure I'm not stuck out in bum f*%k egypt!
Suncoast said the Flex Plate in my truck would mainly be a precaution which I agree its worth taking bein I won't get far without it if it goes, But is there a reason to go out of the way to grab up some ATS stuff (I had to drive it there slipping like crazy) or is Suncoast fine for my setup?

I don't know much bout trans and gotta fix this thing, Just found out this cross country thing will be, in a 1.5 weeks if I gotta go and won't know for sure till a week from now!!!I gotta get this $h!T figured out so I can drop it off!!!! Thanks Big River

Triton!!! You run suncoast right where you at!!!???

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Bigriver

Aero.........I'm not qualified to say that ATS is better than Suncoast. I hammered that question for awhile also before deciding to go with ATS.
As in my situation, Suncoast was 5 hours away, opposed to 3 hours to a ATS dealer in Meridian, MS.
The cost between the two was simular, around 6 grand, but I remember the ATS package including the flex plate as well as the Co-Pilot T/C controller for the inside of the cab. Also included was the deep dish pan.
I can see your advantage of having Suncoast close to home, easy for any warranty work or check ups. All I can advise is to see what you get for your money and compare. I would also recommend getting the flex plate. Diesel Demon destroyed his flex plate and described the outcome here on a thread. Check it out.
Best of luck to you, getting an upgraded trans. is difinately worth the bucks if you're going to play with extra power. In my rig, that's the least of my worries!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
triton
Record Breaker

sorry man... I saw the thread but, didn't want to seem bais about my suggestions.

I lot of people say the ATS is rough on the tranny because of it being billet. The Suncoast plate is pretty much a stock plate with the center of another plate welded to the center... hence ( laminated ). I can say I know of more racers running Suncoast than ATS and that says a lot ! The Suncoast flexs more than a billet but, I don't know that there's really any proof one is better than the other.

I have a ATS plate in mine and the rest is full billet Suncoast. I did have a Suncoast plate but, when in Indy going down the track... several bolts backed out and caused a mess. I had to get back home so it had to get fixed. Jeff Garmon built it for me and happen to be there racing. He saw what happen, pulled his wallet out and bought me a ATS. He also paid to have it installed. If Suncoast had a tent at that event... I would have went back with Suncoast. One reason... the backing you have with them, they stand by their products.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 PM
triton
Record Breaker

on the other hand.... ATS has some nice warranties. That's if they build the tranny though. The problems I've seen though is getting the warranty honored. They're a great company... don't get me wrong. There's a fine line though for warranties when you're out abusing the tranny racing, pulling...etc.

There several good places to go for a quality trans..... Gorends, DTT and a few more I can't think of but, since you're right there by Suncoast ( lucky you! ) that's where I'd go....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Big River I really do like the ATS set-up and if I had the money to do it all at once and drive somewhere to have it done they would definately be sitting right next to Suncoast. But time is running very low and Suncoast is what I have to work with, which I know is a good company as well.

Triton thanks for responding to my PM and jumping in the thread, I saw another thread and think I know why you didn't want in this one! (yes Iagree lamination and coating are interchangable....lol)>Sorry I brought that up<

I will eventually start slipping my tranny I'm sure, so when I do upgrade the tranny I'll do the rest of the shafts but just the input for now cause of the money.

Thanks for both yall's help and hopefully I can afford to pull this off before my work trip!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Yeah I wish I had more time to look around, but I've heard lots of good things about Suncoast so I don't feel to bad about going with them, 2 of my friends got tranny set-ups from them and other than little mishap with the pan seal on one no problems to date. I'm slowing making my way into the big leagues . Good thing is even with myTq Conv.messed up I can still be all 3 of my friends powerjokers on there best setting

Quick Reply: Flexplate