Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which Smarty program are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
campermama
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Smarty program are you using?

I put bigger tires on my truck and am using the Smarty to get some of the power back to where it was before the tires.
Before the tires I was able to climb hills effortlessly in 4th gear (I have a 5 speed manual)
After the tires I have to be in third gear and it isn't liking that too much either!

I just got the Smarty Sr.

So which software # are you running and reccomend that I run?

Thanks for all your help! You guys are great!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: Which Smarty program are you using?

well going bigger tire is like reducing gear size,like having 4.10 and going 3.55,great for cruising on highway but not good for climbing hills

Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Salute! campermama, try the 40hp setting first see how it works for you, then the 70hp setting compare the two, see which you like best. Most Jr. users are finding the 40hp setting does very well. All our trucks are like people, they all react differently, experiment and have some fun! Congrats on picking the Smarty jr., I believe you will be very happy with it, I can see all the other campers walkng by your site wondering why you have such a huge grin!!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your wanting stock like power back, #1 should do it. . .but wheres the fun in that. . .#3 or #5 will give you a very nice kick in the pants.

BTW, I'm currently running #9 just for fun. . .runs amazingly cool for 170hp tune. nailing it I dont see much more than 1200F and that is with my engine wound out about 3K. #5(no timeing) would climb very quick to 1300 around 2500-2700.

I cant wait to get my TST back. . .the top end for smarty could use some help.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
campermama
Professional

Thanks Splat, I got the Smarty Sr, it has the 30 hp or the 60 hp programs. Software #1 is 30 hp increase with additional timing but doesn't explain what the additional timing is, do you know?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

of course I have the 2nd gen but I leave the smarty on 2 everywhere and the edge on 1 for daily driving....on the weekends I turn the smarty to 9 but thats get me tickets[:@]but its fun

Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I need new glasses.... oops! [&:]

Software #1 is 30 hp increase with additional timing but doesn't explain what the additional timing is
The programmer is adding timing to get the added hp, your truck has the timing retarded from factory, this was done to supposedly help lower harmful emissions and keep the tree huggers happy. Increasing the timing,we would get better hp, mileage and cleaner burning engines.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just that. . .added timeing. the injector opens a bit sooner is all. . .when it fires I dont know, Marco and Bob are very hush hush on the parameters. higher tunes will add duration and I may be correct in saying #6-9 may have a little added pressure since you can only hold those injectors open just so long when the engine is running lower RPM's.

now you have to watch it with timeing. . .too much and you may float the head and pop the head gasket, I got close running #5 and my TST on 3/1. WAY TOO MUCH timeing. think of someone in lowes dropping a 5 gallon pail of 8d nails

now if you are just running smarty and nothing else then you have nothing to worry about. . .start to stack and timeing becomes a forfront player in the game, some is good to help cool things off, but too much is hard on the engine. . .not enough will make things quite hot and smokey.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I have tried them all and anything above #5, my truck can't handle at the moment. So I leave it on #5 with the moderate Torque Managment software.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i keep mine on #3, i tried 5 and my TQ started to slip like mayfair did on the way home from the bar on his board or sharxs trying to wheel chair across an oil spill .....talk about lighting a fire[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: Which Smarty program are you using?