Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

contaminated fuel ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:54 AM
twiessmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contaminated fuel ?????????

so my 2005 2500 cummins started acting up. the first thang i noticed was that it was taking longer to start it and then i noticed once it was running i was getting alot of black smoke out the tail pipe and when im pulling my traler its got power, but the motor kinda knocks alittle. the hard starting got so bad i thought i was going to run the batery dead sometimes. i took it to the dealer, being its only got 27000 miles on it and is under warenty... the dealer came back with contaminadted fuel and they want 12,000 bucks to fix it. they say i need a new fuel tank, fuel lines, injection pump, lift pump, fuel rail, and new injectors... i find what they are saying hard to believe because i dont se how the truck would even run at all if all this was bad... im thinking all i need is a new lift pump but im not sure. i sure dont have 12k to give to the dealer... plz help.... one thang i dont under stand is dosent black smoke mean to much fuel and if my system is cloged how could it be getting to much fuel.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 AM
sabersix
Default RE: contaminated fuel ?????????

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had to join under such bad circumstances.

There have been a few other threads about this same issue. I believe that most end up using their own insurance to pay for the damage.

I found this thread where the owner worked the issue out with the dealer. Parts/Service may be able to assist you.

P.S. Fill out your signature in your profile so we know what truck you have.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
twiessmer

thats what the dealer told me to do but my insurance denied the clame they say thats ist just a mechanacal problem and they dont cover it....... i have full coverage so i dont know what there problem is. the thang that trips my up why dose dodge put in a fuel filter that dosent work. i mean shouldent the filter plug up first..... to me its like the dealer dosent know whats wrong so they want to replace everythang...
they tried using there scan tool but it dosent trow any codes, wouldnt it throw a code if the injestion pump failed ?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12K to replace the fuel system. . .gimme a break. . .thats way too much.

if you have alot of smoke from the exhaust, I would check your oil level and see if you have fuel in the oil. if you do you'll have your culprit right there, a cracked injector.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I had a expirience with too much wvo and too cold of weather. Heres what you need to do. Get a 5 gallon container of good fresh diesel. Get a battery charger, get containers to get rid of your old fuel properly, get a couple fuel filters, get some power service diesel clean........ leaving your dirty filter in the housing run a line from the drain tot he drain containers you are using and empty your tank by tapping the key to keep the fuel pump going every 10 seconds or so. until tank completely empty. (took me almost 3 hours). Then change your fuel filter. put the 5 gallons of good diesel in there, a good amount of power service. get it started (fill fuel bowl just as you would if when you change your fuel filter). one you have that fuel in there and truck is warmed up work it hard for a little while to force all the crap out. change your filter again and fill up at a reputable station and add some more power service. you should be good to go.

When I did this the dealer had told me that they were goign to have to drop my tank, boil it, flush the lines and run afull fuel system cleaning. When I did it my truck would not even start, I had it towed to and from the dealership. after I got it running I went back to using wvo and no problems yet. I keep two fuel filters and a wrench under the back seat as I go through a filter every 1500 miles or so, but truck is fine and that did the trick for me. You have a leg up since your truck still runs, mine would not even start.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
twiessmer

i did check my oil when it first started hapening i changed it and it hasent moved. if its only injectors i can change those myself for like 2500 bucks but i dont want to do that and it not be the problem. i bought a fass system but i dont get it utill wed.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM
twiessmer

the dealer did drop my tank and flushed the lines and not its harder to start. i was thinking of running some lubro-molly diesel purge through it though

Old 04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
twiessmer

when you say a good amount of power service how much is a good amount and is it better than the little bottles of diesel injector cleaner you buy at gas stations shold i add some to every tank if it works and how much

Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
twiessmer

one other thang if my injectors are cloged do i have to get new injestors or can i just replace the nozeles? is the nozles the part that clogs or dose the whole thang get messed up ?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell you what, try this. . .run the fuel tank down to about 1/4 tank, toss in 32oz of power service or howes, then run the snot out of the engine. find the steepest hills you can and put the throttle to the floor. this will get cylinder pressures up and get your EGT's up high enough to burn any carbon off the tips of your injectors. then when you fill up find one of the high volume dealers and fill up there.

hopefully that will help.

Quick Reply: contaminated fuel ?????????