Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AFE Stage II & CFM+ Install and First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE Stage II & CFM+ Install and First Impressions

So, I got the AFE Pro Guard 7 Stage II installed yesterday.

First, let me just say that this thing was the biggest PITA of any intake I've installed. This is due to the size of it. It's ENORMOUS.

Also, the mounting bolt that goes closest to the fender well takes a contorsionist to get tightened. It would have been easier to remove the fender well liner.

The instructions say to put the filter and the coupler on BEFORE installing it on the turbo and into the housing. This is a TOTAL PITA! The only way I was able to get it on was to first put the filter in the housing with the open side (intake tube side) facing up in the housing. I then connected the coupler to the turbo and fit the intake tube into the housing and put the filter on while doing this. Any other way left no room to wiggle the coupler onto the turbo.

Once this was done all that was left was to put the air temp sensor on (easy) and put in 4 hex head screws to secure the tube and the housing cover.

Now, initial impressions of it. Holy Crap is this thing loud. The friggin turbo sounds like a fighter jet spooling up on a carrier deck.

Drove about 30 miles to dinner tonight, listening to that puppy sign like an opera star. Throttle response was nice, turbo spooled very quickly and there is no disguising that there is a turbo lurking underneath. Seriously, the turbo is that loud. It nearly drowns out my exhaust.

So far I'm diggin' it.

Anyways, here'sa few pics.
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/83D0A28C4C17405CB1DFA8EDCC149428.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/D41576BF155B4AFEB9713E1ABAFD680A.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/EDD99704378E4C54926ECACD6770186F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Bigriver
Default RE: AFE Stage II Install and First Impressions

I agree with you in regards of the turbo whine. I have the same system, and at first I questioned weather I liked the sound, but of course it grew on me and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I also like being able to see the filter at a glance to determine when to clean it. As in the stock mode, we had to check out the sensor, or break open the case to inspect the filter.

I'm courious to see how you like the CFM intake. I know that eventually I'll end up getting one, haven't decided which brand to go with.

This fevor never ends eh?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

LMAO...I am glad I was not the only one who had all the fun with that bolt.....My neighbor was laughing at me, I was actually laying across the engine compartment sideways to get that back bolt in, and I aint no little guy by any means.

I got the wounds to prove I put on an AFE Intake...may turn into scars...we will see.

I put on the Pro Dry S filter, I dunno about the performance differences, but the sound is probably real similiar..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM
cumminalong

Well, I like the sound, but it is REALLY loud. I'm gonna put the silencer ring back in and see how that is.

I only got to drive it the one evening before I installed the CFM+.....pics will be below.

The turbo spools REALLY fast. I think I'm gonna have to turn my alarm down to 35 psi and set the wastegate to 38. Right now, I'm at 38 alarm and 40 defuel, but it's getting to 41 - 42 before everything can react.

Throttle response is noticeably quicker. It almost feels like a gasser off the line. No turbo lag whatsoever.

Anyways, here's a few pics of the CFM+ install. Overall this was very simple. Only thing othere than following the instructions that I would recommend is getting a set of the ratcheting wrenches (or at least a 1/2" one). It makes getting the two nuts farthest to the outside tightened down much easier. You can't get a socket on them and a regular closed end wrench would take you all day.

Also, once you remove the stock intake manifold and look inside, the narrowing is much more extreme than it looks from the outside. The stock manifold is a thick piece.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/9A2376E4C4CA4DA08140AE1FA4703AA0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/A3FAEC05CA1F40F29279661C9B8A0351.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/5A6B7587D8404273B742A90E375FB2B5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/061944D5ED8E4A7C91A8A750B32309AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

I'm gonna put the silencer ring back in

Old 05-20-2008, 05:45 AM
cracker
Rookie

You will enjoy this setup. I got the same and that 1 bolt is a pain!! I had my neighbor come ove and hold theboltand i got under the truck. Do you remember what your intake air temp was on the edge before? I never compared the before and after. Also get yourself a pre-filter. They are cheep and imo well worth the $$ to keep the big crap out your filter!!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM
cumminalong

I'll give ya girlie man........ [sm=lildevil.gif]

Seriously dude, the ONLY way to compare what this thing sounds like is to watch Top Gun. I sounds EXACTLY like a jet engine starting up. It completely drowns out the exhaust.

It's not that I don't like it, but I can see that being annoying on a long trip.........not so much for me, but the wife won't be bustin' my chops that whole time. [sm=bicker.gif]

Sometimes ya gotta compromise.

Anyways, some stuff to note so far.

1 - Smoke output is definitely decreased in some of the higher power settings. With the Smarty on 6 and the Edge on 3, I can romp on it and get just a very slight haze behind the truck, other than the initial little puff. Level 4 smokes a bit and Level 5 will still smoke pretty good, if I'm not already spooled up pretty good.

2 - I won't have any kind of fuel estimate for this tank. I've been hot rodding it around too much. [:-]

Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM
cumminalong

Okay, so I did a bit of experimenting and having the silencer ring in there with the AFE intake is a nice sound.

Now it's a really even balance of engine, exhaust and turbo. Before, without the silencer ring, it was all turbo.

It's slightly, very slightly,louder now than my gutted stock intake w/ the drop in K&N filter and the silencer ring removed.

What is pronounced nicely now is the waste gate opening when you get off the throttle.

I can actually hear the engine noises and my exhaust now.......it's like a harmonically balanced, finely tuned, mechanical symphony orchestra.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Have you noticed a decrease in EGT's ?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Have you noticed a decrease in EGT's ?
On the top end, yes. How much? Can't really say yet, I haven't run any good hills or loaded down yet. But, I haven't even hit my EGT alarm yet.

Now, my boost alarm........that's a different story. I get up on that puppy QUICK! [:-]

Quick Reply: AFE Stage II & CFM+ Install and First Impressions