Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

failed lift pump, won't start now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Aaron R.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed lift pump, won't start now?

I was climbing a big hill in my 99 3/4ton 24 valve cummins and the engine died suddenly. Got the truck back home and the electric lift pump was very noisy and putting out only about 5 psi at the fuel filter plugs. Filter was new so I replaced the electric lift pump. New pump is very quiet but I cannot get the truck to restart.
I have cracked the lines open at the head for cylinders 1,3,4,and 5. Cylinders 3,4, and 5 got to the point they would leak out some fuel when engine cranked, but 1 only a tiny trickle. Hoping it would start on 3 cylinders at least I tightened everything back down and tried to get it to start again. Not even a pop or attempt to fire up. No smoke out the tail pipe either. Did this whole procedure several times with no luck getting it to even cough.
I don't know much about these 24 valve cummins but I have experience working with other diesels. I can only guess that the injection pump is bad or an electronic component of it is bad.

Please HELP!!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Scott91370
Professional

You could unhook the line before it goes into the injection pump to see if you get fuel coming out there if not- time for a FASS or AirDog. When my lift pump went bad it would make noise like it was pumping but wouldn't put a drop out.
If you get fuel, I would say it's the injection pump, but I do not have any info on how to check it.

I got lucky and my lift pump was letting fuel through when it was bad. I found out it was bad when I changed my filter. It broke the vacuum and wouldn't work after that.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
joecoldman

I had the same thing happen on one of my service trucks which is '99 CTD 3500. Ended up replacing the injector pump too. Apparently, when the lift pump goes out, if you don't catch it soon enough, it takes out the injector pump. Dig around in some of the older posts here and there is a really good explanation of how the two pumps work together (I can't remember where it was, but it's a good read once you find it.) I have four of these trucks- 1-98.5, 1-99, 2-'01. Had this happen on the 98.5 and 99. I pay more attention now when servicing them to the lift pump and have caught them as they went bad on the '01's- so far-knock on wood- the injector pumps are ok. Also pay attention to how it starts when warmed up- should fire instantly. If you have to crank it any amount of time, be suspicious of the lift pump.

Just my observances- I'm no more than a shade tree mechanic at best, but I have 7 trucks with the 5.9 CTD and one 6.7 CTD. The 98.5 has over 250k and still runs great.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
tburke

Just from my experience if you crack the banjo bolt at the injection pump and bump the key to start the lift pump you should get a good amount of fuel. If you have fuel there tighten it back up and keep cranking it until it starts. When my injection pump went bad it threw a code. But it also took ALOT of cranking before it would start after replacing the pump. Charged batteries and hooked up jumper cables it finally started running rough and I let it idle until it smoothed out, has been fine since. If you dont have any codes I would just keep cranking????

Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM
92oilburner
Professional

You said you were only getting 5psi before, then replaced the lift pump. Are you getting higher pressure now? I have almost the exact same problem! My truck started loosing power, and then was hard to start. 1st I replaced the fuel filter. It seemed to bleed out ok using the lift pump, but was still hard to start. It would start after much cranking, and holding the pedal to the floor. Then I installed a press. guage, and found the press. to be low, untill after the eng. started, then it would climb to around 12 psi. Now my truck won't start at all! Having only 3-5 psi, I also replaced my electric lift pump. I still have only 3-5 psi, and truck still won't start at all.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Is the pump filling the filter housing? If not, you may have a blockage in supply lines or at the pick up. If yes, then lift pump is working.

If the filter housing is filling, crack the banjo bolt on the VP. You should get a good flow of fuel there.

If you are getting fuel to the VP, bump the starter 2 - 3 times and make sure all the air is worked out of the supply lines.

Now, crack the high pressure lines on 1, 3 & 5. Bump the starter again until you get a consitent flow. Tighten them up.

Now, crack 2, 4 & 6. Bump the starter, look for flow, tighten the lines.

Once the lines are tight, bump the starter again.

Now try to start it.

If you still get a no start, the injection pump is likely toast.

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-09-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Aaron R.

I have decided it must be the injection pump. Did more research online and it has all the symptoms of a failed injection pump. Going to order a new one today. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Scott91370
Professional

Did you test the lift pump though?

If not, I hope you're right. $1100+ mistake...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 AM
edonald38

I e have the same problem now with my 1999. My truck quit as was taking off and I towed it back to the house and found no fuel to the filter. I replaced the lift pump and now have fuel to filter but I can't get it to crank. I cracked the injector lines at the head and I finally got fuel to come out by using starting fluid, I know you aren't supposed to use it but I was running the battery down by trying to use the starter only. initally cracked all injectors but number six because it is really hard to get too and I finally got fuel out of all injectors except 6 and it will still not start and stay running.
any help will be appreciated

Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do yourself a favor and put a permanent 0-30psi mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the truck and never drive it when fuel pressure is below 10psi... <10psi = damaging injection pump.

also pull the engine codes and verify the injection pump is bad.

Quick Reply: failed lift pump, won't start now?