Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Buying Our 1st Diesel and have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
lobe50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Our 1st Diesel and have a ?

We are getting a 2005 2500 Quad cab 4x4, w/ the Cummins Turbo 5.9L, Auto.

The truck has 109K on it, the dealer seems to be very reputable, and is replacing all 4 rotors & brakes, tires, and all Ball Joints.

The truck seems to run great, and has a polished intake tube w/ a K&N style air filter installed (not sure of the intake name, can't find one like it on the web so far).

I have been reading how fast these trucks are, and had a ?
I pegged it from a dead start (no power braking it), and it goes OK, but does not spin the tires at all. I have read others saying the tires burn right off?
Is what I am experiencing normal??
If not is there something to look for that is restricting the power??
Also ... I notice quite a noticeable whistle from the turbo when getting on the throttle, is this normal?

The truck is in excellent shape and from Fla, so it is awesome to see a 05 truck here in RI without a speck of rust on it
Thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 AM
pizzo
All Star

AS for stock setting my truck don't spin all that much.. when not power breaking.. Possibly caused from turbo lag..
whistle from the turbo. They might have removed the silencer ring... not that big of a deal it don't really do anything but make the turbo whistle. if it bothers you or your wife You can have my silencer ring. I have only been trying to give it away for months now but nobody wants it
As for the intake you can take some pictures and post them here we can tell you what kind you have.
the K&N air filter is that a drop in the factory box? or is it a cone type on a tube comes right off the turbo?
While they are working on the truck have them check the U joint too..
another thing to look for on the truck is in the exhaust manifold see if there is a pipe plug in it. it will be on the top if so then gauges EGT was installed before and removed now. also if you have a aftermarket intake see if the boost hole is plugged.
Also not sure if the problem was 05 but the inter cooler the sides are plastic they tend to break or crack and loose boost.. you can spray soapy water on the inter cooler and see if it has bubbles from it (while engine is running)
Trans make sure the fluid is nice and red not burn smell or brownish look to it. If so make them FLUSH the trans and filter change. Make sure they use ATF +4 Also see what comes out of the trans pan lots of metal shavings on the magnet OK chunks of metal not so good...

Also add some pictures to this post of everything I have my pictures in my gallery... stop on by take a look
hope this helps Pizzo

Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM
lobe50

Pizzo...
Thanks So Much for all that info.

As for the U-Joint you mentioned? Do you mean the front axles or the driveshafts?
I happen to have gone to school w/ the mechanic doing the work for the dealer, and he let me take a good look underneath. So nice to see NO RUST At all
He said the axle U-Joints were fine and replaced the Upper & Lower Ball Joints on both sides. He said they believe if 1 of the pair needs replacing, ight as well do both while it is apart.

The Intake is the tube style that comes right up from the turbo, and has a cone filter on it.
It also has a type of air filter gauge on it w/ a red/yellow/green indicator in the tube itself. Similiar to the one on our John Deere 410. I will take pics when I get it home.

And lastly where is the silencer ring located, so i can see if it has been removed?
Thanks So Much!!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 AM
RHill

If it helps any, break in on CR cummins is around 100k so its fairly new. Also my 06 with 50k doesnt spin tires due to the low fuel settings. but from 25-60 is great. I fixed that with a smarty but turned the low end fuel back to stock for trany and tire longitivity. Well it would spin just a little bit with stock 265s on it but not at all now with 315s.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
lobe50

Thanks.
The more I read up on these Cummins the more excited I am to pick it up tomorrow
I will post pics of the items in question ASAP.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by lobe50
Pizzo...
Thanks So Much for all that info.

As for the U-Joint you mentioned? Do you mean the front axles or the driveshafts?
I happen to have gone to school w/ the mechanic doing the work for the dealer, and he let me take a good look underneath. So nice to see NO RUST At all
He said the axle U-Joints were fine and replaced the Upper & Lower Ball Joints on both sides. He said they believe if 1 of the pair needs replacing, ight as well do both while it is apart.

The Intake is the tube style that comes right up from the turbo, and has a cone filter on it.
It also has a type of air filter gauge on it w/ a red/yellow/green indicator in the tube itself. Similiar to the one on our John Deere 410. I will take pics when I get it home.

And lastly where is the silencer ring located, so i can see if it has been removed?
Thanks So Much!!
U joint I meant all of them..

The Air filter is a complete kit tube and all. good
Air filter gauge on the tube GOOD
that air intake that goes to the turbo take that off and then look inside of it the ring is inside in front of the impeller
depends how you have your page set up it could be on the first page or the last page of this link I have mine set to newest post first so for me its the last page it shows you the ring and C clip that holds that in place https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...l-yokel-7.html

Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Lobe,

What you're experiencing with the lack of tire spin is due to the factory tuning....it's called torque management. It's designed to not actually give the engines full power when the ECM senses a power brake or from a dead stop. There is actually a 20 second delay from the time you step on the pedal from a stop until you receive all the power the engine is actually capable. So yes, there IS something restricting the power....it's the factory tuning.

Look in my signature picture and you see what happens with a truck that has NO torque management.....and a few other goodies.

As for the turbo whistle, Pizzo hit it on the head. More than likely the previous owner removed the silencer ring on the turbo. That combined with the intake kit REALLY makes the turbo sign. It does absolutely NOTHING for performance, it just makes the turbo louder.

Make sure the dealer updates the ECM with the most recent flash so you KNOW you have the stock tuning. You don't want to be running around in a truck that you don't know has a tune on it. Some of the tunes can run extremely hot.

Also like Pizzo said, check the transmission. Check the fluid and make them flush it anyways if they can't show you the service record on the truck.

Otherwise, '05 is a good year and tends to have the best mileage of the Common Rails.

Just give a shout if you need anything.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
lobe50

Pizzo...THANKS for the link. I totally understand now
I will look at it after we get it home tomorrow

Also might start looking into a programmer that allows me not to go too crazy w/ uping the power, and allows me to monitor boost, EGT, temps, etc...

Any recommendations?
And do you need an aftermarket exhaust to run one of these??
Thanks Again.....
Can't wait to get home tomorrow
Like a little kid huh.....

Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
lobe50

Thanks Coal Train

It is a Used Dealer who got the truck from a FLA Auction and had it transported here in RI.

If I go to my local dealer will they check the ECM or do they charge you a mint ...lol

I understand the torque mangement now. Thanks for refreshing my memory
It is probably the same thing I had in my 5.7L HEMI. When I installed the 6.1L cam, springs, CAI, I put a SuperChips FlashPaq on it and the torque management went bye bye and so did the tires LOL

I just can't get over the fact that the Cummins can have so much more power stock than that HEMI setup......
I just didn't feel the same, I guess it is a different type of power ???????
Guess I will understand soon enough after we pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks Again

Last edited by lobe50; 12-27-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Coal Train
All Star

The difference is torque.

The Hemi is all HP and no torque.

Where you'll really notice it is with a trailer behind it. Where the gas engine struggles and winds up to 5 - 6K RPM, the diesel just chugs along. I can have a 10K lb trailer behind this thing and the only time I notice it is on the brakes.

What you have to understand is that HP is a made up number. It's the end product of (RPM x TORQUE) / 5252 = HP.

The more RPM's you have, the more HP you have. Race cars / gas motor folks LOVE HP because it's the higher number for them, but it's still just a math problem.

Torque is what moves the vehicle. Torque is what makes it accelerate. Torque is what does the work....not HP.

Look at it like this......

If traction wasn't an issue, my one engine would pull 4 Hemi powered trucks backwards if they were all hooked together. I have twice the HP as a Hemi powered truck, but I have over 4 times the torque.

Get rid of the torque management on the truck and line up next to an equally equipped Hemi powered truck and it won't even be close.

Someone had a quote a while back and I can't remember who it was..... "HP is how fast you HIT the wall. Torque is how far you PUSH the wall"

Last edited by Coal Train; 12-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying Our 1st Diesel and have a ?