Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

94 diesel tranny goin krazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
T-REX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 diesel tranny goin krazy!!

I'm quite familiar wit 727's, but this overdrive/lockup stuff iz beyond me...When I wuz race'in, a 727 wuz a 727, now they got stuff I kan't control,,,So, I need sum expert advice...Hope'in sum ov U guru'z kan hep me out....

I don't thank it's major, but iz gunna leed to sumpth'in major if it keepz on....Tha converter ussa juss turn loose when I lifted off tha throttle, and seem to coast, until I gave it throttle, and then lock back up....I don't particular care for that part ov it's operation, but live'd wit it!!...I have a book that said I could hook a certian wire to a switch, and when grounded it would keep the converter lock'd...But, it never workd for me!!.....

Here lately, when I juss slightly lift off tha throttle, tha converter will drop out, and sumtimes go in and out, unless I keep a steady load on it...And, when I lift completrely off tha throttle, it will downshift, thro'in tha rpm way out ov it's good operate'in range.....Then it takes a lil bit to git it to shift back up into OD, and lock up...This iz a pain in tha azz when tow'in my camper on tha interstate, or even run'in empty on tha interstate, when one ov them fools gotta make ya git out tha throttle, while on tha cruise control.....

Any ov U tranny guru's got any help fer an ole penny pinch'in, do it yaself'r????

Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me move this over to the diesel section for you, get you some help.

Diesels had slightly different transmissions than our gassers.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

im in the same boat. i hate the fact that i let off the throttle and the tranny shifts outa gear. i like my tranny in gear at all times unless im stopped. i totally understand wat u mean. i hate it. anyone know how to fix? 96 diesel.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could be a number of things, most of the time a failing/failed TPS or the wiring to the TPS, also the TV cable could be sticking/binding, broke, missing the return spring, or its the TV its self going

Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
T-REX

Thankz Jason...I didn't see tha diesel section when I posted.....

Well, My truck don't have any ov that fancy lektronik stuff....It's ole skool...Mechanikle pump, and haz a std set up for tha throttle.....

Now, I kan even use the "Coast" button on the wheel (cruise) and it will do the same thang!!!...When tha rpm drops any amount, the OD will drop out, no matter how easy it iz released.....I kan't find tha book that told me which wire to ground, but it's from a company know'n for soop'in up diesels...It kame wit a package for tha pump to kick it up a lil bit!!...If I kan find it, I will post tha diagram....

Thankz for ya input!!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by T-REX

Well, My truck don't have any ov that fancy lektronik stuff....It's ole skool...Mechanikle pump, and haz a std set up for tha throttle.....

it does have all of thoes things... trust me, they are there, and can be the cause of your problem.

the tps on the injection pump controls the overdrive and the converter lockup, the tv/tv cable (tv = throttle valve) controls up shifts, kickdowns, and line pressure, all relitive to throttle position

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 09-01-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
T-REX

OK gentlemen....Problem solved........Wuz a bad battery connection!!!

Positive post on tha drivers side battery wuz broke, and leek'in acid(which had damm neer eat up tha battery end)...Tha Battery wuz only 2 yeerz old, so warranty took care ov it.....I cleen'd all connectionz, put all new battery cable ends, used them lil fuzzy washers, and sum red spray on stuff to prevent corrosion........Took'r down tha road, and no mo tranny goofiness!!!.....Back to my ole reliable "Turbo Bee".....

Dodgetrucker75....Thankz a bunch for ya input!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

right on! glad you solved it,

dont know why that didnt come to mind, but bad battery and ground connections can cause these issues also, good work

Quick Reply: 94 diesel tranny goin krazy!!