Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

hard start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM
RockyMtnGal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool hard start when warm

I have a 2004 (not 2004.5) 5.9, 2500 common rail with 200K on it. The truck has been well cared for. It began to hard start and then no start. We tested injectors, a number of sensors and it was decided by my mechanic that the injection pump was bad. We ordered a reman and it was worse than the old one (or so it seemed). Got a second reman and it was worse than the first. We then replaced the pressure relief valve. When it starts...IF it starts it runs like a champ -- no problems at all. When the truck gets shut down, especially when it is warm, the pressure in the system bleeds off quickly. It will start fairly easily (still too much time cranking) if the engine is cold. Once it warms up it does not want to start. We have tested batteries too. It is not in the starter or the batteries. The lift pump is fairly new and has been tested too. Now it might be that the injection pump was not bad after all as the new pump has not changed anything. I am frustrated as heck!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the diesel section.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Welcome to DF

Does it smoke when you crank it? Have you tried the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors? Blowby/compression tests?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
RockyMtnGal
Exclamation No Smoke at all

I do have an update. So here is the skinny, it has had two reman injectors pumps put into it and a pressure relief valve put it on and it was sent home "fixed". It was not fixed. It did the same thing it always did. It would start after lots of cranking when it was cold in the morning. When it starts it runs GREAT and totally normally. If I drive it and it warms up and then shut it down it will NOT start at all, I can crank until the sun goes down.

So we took it to a specialty diesel shop thinking our mechanic simply did not have the diagnostic tools he needed to diagnose it. They said "no problem". They called me and tell me that my lift pump (which had already been changed out to the updated one less than 40K miles ago) was weak and that it had burned up two injectors. I said, okay put in a new lift pump and two reman injectors (after much deliberation and checking out funds).

SO it was supposed to be ready today by 11AM and GUESS what it does EXACTLY what it did BEFORE the new injection pump, the new lift pump the new relief valve and the two new injectors. NOTHING has changed. Now this guy thinks I should pay him for the new injectors and lift pump when HIS diagnosis was wrong and I can't even verify that the parts were bad -- it ran fine when it started. I have no reason at this point to believe that ANY of the parts that were replaced were EVER bad! I am in over $3K now and NOTHING has changed. I am about to scream at someone!

At a total loss in Colorado and I NEED my truck back

Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the connection the rail pressure sensor, or change the sensor completely, i have had that same thing happen on john deere engines multiple times, (same fuel system) most of the time a simple unplug and plug back in cures the problem, once i had to change the sensor completely

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Wow, I hate to hear that. I find it hard to believe that all those components were defective. Im starting to think its got to be something electrical. To rule out the fuel system all together your going to have to test the rail pressure. Have you tried any other web forums, particularly a cumminsforum? There is alot more people with expertise there that should be able to narrow down your problem.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
RockyMtnGal
Default Thank you

Believe me I hate to hear it too! I think this is in the Dodge diesel forum -- I am kind of new to this and I will look for others. I will call the shop today and have them unplug and replug the rail pressure sensor in and give that a try. Sure can't hurt. If that is it -- I will...well at least it will be fixed. We are utterly at a loss... We simply told the shop we can't keep throwing parts at the truck as a method of trouble shooting. My boyfriend has a uncle who is a genius diesel mechanic but he is a couple hours away -- hindsight being what it is, we should have gone to him first. We just had no idea that the diagnosis would be this elusive... So I am on my Harley AGAIN. While it is great to have the option -- a week out from surgery (tomorrow) I am not really up to riding a bike. Glad my commute is short. Will probably have to bum a ride home and leave my bike at work as we had tornadoes, golf ball sized hail yesterday and yesterday evening...might do it again and can' ride in that! Sick and tired of it!!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
bouncdchk

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGal
I will call the shop today and have them unplug and replug the rail pressure sensor in and give that a try. Sure can't hurt.
Ever figure out what the problem is?

I'm having the same issue now.

For the more seasoned - where is the rail pressure sensor located? I can't seem to find it in Google...

Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM
RockyMtnGal

The fix for me was pressurized fuel lines that were leaking... The leaks were not big enough to create FUEL leaks but under 16K PSI it was enough to lose pressure.

The mechanic who worked on it didn't know squat!! So be cautious when you move forward with a mechanic. Know first and DEMAND that he will start on the likely stuff and the affordable solutions FIRST. This guy took me to the cleaner -- I now have a new CP3 pump, a new lift pump, two new injectors and a new PRV and needed NONE of it. None of it fixed the truck and they screwed up on the install of the lift pump and jacked up the fuel level sender in the process. Arg!!!

With your truck it could be any number of things but I would start with fuel line leaks first -- cheapest and easiest to fix. Don't run your hand down them when it is running -- if you find a high pressure leak with a hand you can lose a hand -- well maybe a finger! This is totally untested but I would in hindsight get a long tool -- like the mirrors on long sticks and cover the mirror part with something like a piece if brown paper bag. That would show any oily spray easily and run it from one end of the other the full length of each line coming off each injector as well as the return lines. I am NOT a mechanic and I am a girl -- but that makes sense to me. I am sorry you are going through this too. Just know if that system leaks pressure anywhere (and there are a number of points where it could) it will hard start or no-start.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
03dodgelane
Default Help!! I'm in the thiick of it...$3000 so far

Well I have been having a starting problem with my 03 3500 Dodge Diesel esp when warmed up.Shows no codes. Cranks and cranks but won't start unless ether used. Had it towed 7 times before I discovered the ether trick.
Know it's not good to do but I have a landscape business and horses and really need my truck every day.
Now I leave it on all day and if I forget and turn it off use ether. I've spent over $3000 on it and this is what I have to do!!!!
3 mechanics:
1) kept for over a week replaces battery Result same
2) Dealer replaces "Acuator" Fuel filter and fuel flush Result same Towed back and they throw up their hands and say "What do you want us to do"
3)Replaces fuel pump relief valve and finds injector tubes loose tightens them Result Same Towed back Finds tubes loose again, tightens and replaces O-rings on injectors. Same result but then I discover the ether can they left in the truck so I use that and at least can forego the towing now.
Next things he wants to do is to replace the injectors. Pricey!!!! I'm worried this won't fix the problem.
I'm seeing here this post on the fuel lines and wondering if that could be my prob. It definitely is fuel pressure related.

This has been going on for about 3-4 months now
Any ideas????......I'm out of money and need my truck!!!

Quick Reply: hard start when warm