Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problems.

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Diesel automatic tranny. I bought it new in 1999 and it has 267K miles. I've kept it in great shape inside and out, it still looks new and I get a lot of compliments on how well it looks. In Central Texas we don't have a lot of humidity and no salt to contend with so that helps a lot. Today my AC went out and in this part of the country that's not a good thing. All I've checked so far was that the compressor is not engaging when the inside switch is turned on. Was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to begin, at my age (65) I'm not looking forward to a big goose chase. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Check the fuses, then I'd start with picking up a couple cans of R-134 and a recharge hose. Fill it back up. If you are uncomfortable doing this, I would suggest taking it to a qualified repair facility to have a diagnostic check performed.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Thanks jkeaton for your time, a couple more questions and I'll get to work. Who has the best recharge kit or, are they all about the same? Also does the system have to be evacuated to make room for the new refrigerant. Do you think my system is so old that's it probably just going to keep needing work? I don't have any idea about how long the components are supposed to last. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Imaknucklebuster2
Thanks jkeaton for your time, a couple more questions and I'll get to work. Who has the best recharge kit or, are they all about the same? Also does the system have to be evacuated to make room for the new refrigerant. Do you think my system is so old that's it probably just going to keep needing work? I don't have any idea about how long the components are supposed to last. Thanks again.
I buy mine at Walmart. It's really easy to do. You probably have a leak, ideally yes, you should have the leak repaired and the system properly evacuated and refilled, but in a pinch the method I suggest will suffice. I've been refilling my
95 Chevy every summer for the last couple years. I have a slow leak somewhere, but am too cheap to have it repaired, so I just throw a couple cans in every spring. Gets me through the summer.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Sounds good to me! I'll give it a charge and wait to see how long it'll last, maybe I'll have a deal like your 95 chevy. That would suit me just fine. It'll probably be 4-5 days before I get to it, but soon as I do I'll let you know. Thanks a lot jkeaton, I really appreciate it!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

No problem. If you've never done it, look at a few videos on you tube. It's really easy though. Turn the engine in, ac set to max. Connect the recharge hose to the low side port (it only fits that one, the smaller of the two ports) add till the can is empty. There should be a label under the hood staying the maximum refrigerant charge. Don't exceed that rating.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Okay, Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Well I think I've found my problem, small pin hole rubbed in the piping by the air filter housing. What's the best way to fix the pin hole? Will JB Weld or something similar work?

Last edited by Imaknucklebuster2; 04-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

It's best to replace the line. You're dealing with a lot of pressure.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Imaknucklebuster2
Rookie

Thanks jkeaton, I found both ends that look like where a connection of some sort is, I'm guessing that metal clamp comes off and the fitting just pulls apart? Also, what is the name of this line? Thanks, again

Quick Reply: AC problems.