Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo issues? Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
farfree2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo issues? Help

Hello everyone,
I have a 99 Ram with 5.9 Cummings all stock. I have an Intermittent problem with my turbo. Sometimes when I start engine and get going down the road I notice that the turbo is not spinning up. This is an obvious sign with such a huge loss of power, usually when this happens the check engine light will come on along with that. After driving for a few minutes (but sometimes has taken a day) eventually the turbo will kick in again and start spinning up and running as normal, along with the check engine light (quite some time later) going back off. I can never seem to catch the code before the check engine light goes back off. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. If so, what was your problem. Possible signs of turbo starting to go? Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
tcarothers
Rookie
Default RE: Turbo issues? Help

Had the same problem about a month ago, right after I bought my 99. Would be going down the road and it would loos all power, it might come back or it could take a couple days. Auto Zone can chech for the code even if the light isnt on, mine was 238 (I think). I ended up replacing the MAP Sensor and that took care of the problem. My milage went up quite a bit too.
Troy

Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
farfree2

Thanks for the responses tob and tc. I really appreciate the input. Tried the cycle and it didn't work, and yes I do have digital odometer. SES light was on as well again. Anywho, I will try to hit auto zone when the light is on if i'm near one to pull a code, but from all the research I've done, it does seem like its the MAP Sensor. So if it is that, is this something that a regular shade tree person like me can handle or should I leave it to the pro's? Also, (tcarothers) how much did your MAP sensor cost? This is my first Diseal engine...........not as familiar with compared to gas.

Once again, thanks for the help all

Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 AM
tcarothers
Rookie

Farfree, You need a 1 1/4 in deep socket to take the map sensor out. It is located on the drivers side back of the block, it looks like a temp or oil pressure sending unit and has a wire harness that has 3 wires and the connector is triangular shaped. Easy to replace. Dealer told me 320.00$ (Bunch of B.S.), go to a local truck shop, they should be able to get it for you for about 60.00$ give or take. Parts stores dont have them, they come from Cummins. Good luck
Troy

Old 05-18-2006, 02:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

so is it the map sensor telling the pcm that there is max boost and it's keeping the wastegate open? I'm trying to grasp how a map sensor would affect the boost levels... I think the wastegate is pcm controlled but i'm not 100% sure...

any experts care to shed some light on this?

Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
farfree2

Ok all,
I finally got a chance to stop by the auto parts store and pull the codes..........Here is the print out........just as I expected them to be.
If I could get your opinions on these, I would greatly appreciate it. TC, do you still think its the MAP sensor? It looks like it is to me

[IMG]local://upfiles/34986/243702B389E5436088113C75DDC756F4.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 PM
tcarothers
Rookie

MAP Sensor is bad. Exact same printout that I had. 100% sure of it.Get it chamged, if U dont, it will get to running worse and worse untill it wont hardly move.
Troy

Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these guys are right, replace the MAP sensor.

what is going on is the MAP sensor is reporting to the computer over 5v. when this happens the computer goes into an engine protection mode and will only fuel to rpm to keep the engine running.

after a few miles the computer will start checking the MAP sensor and will then fuel to boost once again. Ive gotten my truck to do it while Ive been messing with my MAP sensor with some resistor mods Ive been working on.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM
kossuth
Professional

PS the cycle the key trick doesn't work with a 98 or a 99 guys. I think the first year it would work would be 00.

Quick Reply: Turbo issues? Help