Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

3rd gen ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
bigmike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen ball joints

anybody heard of an upgrade to the suspect ball joints that will last a little longer than the stock ones? yes, bad ball joints should be a warranty item, but i have a 2" leveling kit and 33's on my 04.5 and i am pretty certain that new ball joints will be on my wallet. i am just starting to notice a little noise from the ball joints so i am not too worried, but i am sure it is only a matter of time before new ones are really needed.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3rd gen ball joints

I hear napa has some and also MOOG has a set of uppers.

I'm gunna try and get around testing mine this weekend to see how much play I have. . .if I can get a dial indicator from work

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
bigmike
Professional

thanks Drew,
i know we have the same year, have you felt any play while driving yours yet?? i have about 42k on mine, and i am just curious

Old 06-29-2006, 05:33 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

MOOG would be my choice (and is the choice of most of the CTD owners over at DTR). MUCH better than stock for both 2nd and 3rd gen Rams

Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Drew
Professional

I have 32K and noticed just a bit of wandering when I made a trip to the Outerbanks of NC two weeks ago. steering is pretty on but for a few miles she would pull ever so slightly slightly to the right, then to the left.

Ive heard of these things going out with as little as 6K, then there are those that have over 150K with zero issues.

just make sure what ever you get it's greasable I'm looking at some u-joints right now[:'(]

Old 06-29-2006, 08:13 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew
just make sure what ever you get it's greasable
The MOOG ones are greaseable...that's why everyone likes them

Why you'd put in a balljoint without a grease zerk is beyond me....but hey, I'm not an engineer. Maybe there's some benefit that I'm missing. Same goes for U-joints [&:]

The u-joints I put in last summer were from Bumper To Bumper, and they had grease zerks in them...which reminds me, I should check them next time I'm under the truck [8D]

Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Drew
Professional

the reason I say that is the stock ones, even ujoints, drive shafts everything are non-greasable, except for the 05 grease fitting for the front double cardan joint comeing off the transfer.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Ralph78
Professional

[

Why you'd put in a balljoint without a grease zerk is beyond me....but hey, I'm not an engineer. Maybe there's some benefit that I'm missing. Same goes for U-joints [&:]

I am an engineer, and I can only think of two valid reasons.

Reason #1 They save a tiny bit on each vehicle X # of vehicles = Substantial $$$

Reason #2 If they will "just" outlast the WT. then nice replacement parts and labor charge for the dealer X # of vehicles = Substantial $$$

Ralph

Old 06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

[

I am an engineer, and I can only think of two valid reasons.

Reason #1 They save a tiny bit on each vehicle X # of vehicles = Substantial $$$

Reason #2 If they will "just" outlast the WT. then nice replacement parts and labor charge for the dealer X # of vehicles = Substantial $$$

Ralph

lets see if I can find the best way to say this

there we go

Quick Reply: 3rd gen ball joints