Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

hoping to join you but have a few questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
2004dodgehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hoping to join you but have a few questions!!

I am not new to the dodge family have a 2004 hemi 1500. always loved the diesal though. I will never pull anything or rarely. I was looking at a new dodge 2500 with the cummins but thinking of waiting 1 more year for the new engine. who doesn't want more power. Plus I like the idea of the 6 speed auto for better mpg. I don't mind waiting because for now my truck is great and only has 20k on it so no urgency now. Would you wait? Any issues with the new engine? Not really concerned about the new motor cummins is cummins more concerned about a new 6 speed.

also the truck is there any big changes that are a year or two away in design etc...? I like the ford as well and they have a new motor coming out 6.4 l 350 hp and 650 tq. i don't want to start a ford dodge basing. Have owned both so have no favorites. the ford is much bigger and they both seem to be around the same price give or take a few grand. i find the dodge to be cheaper especially on ebay seems you can get a truly loaded dodge around 35-38k.

any advice?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: hoping to join you but have a few questions!!

Hang on ... lemme consult with someone who knows a little bit more about the future than I do ....

Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
2004dodgehemi

well not sure about the future but I know some of you work at dealerships others are very knowledgable. so asking for opinions and advice.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

Nope, i'd get an '06 now. the new ones have too much emissions crap for me. particulate filter on the exhaust??? huh? no thanks, give me a straight pipe with a magnaflow and now an aero and i'm happy. as for power, an edge ez-box will give you a nice bump without killing your wallet.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: 2004dodgehemi

well not sure about the future but I know some of you work at dealerships others are very knowledgable. so asking for opinions and advice.
Yeah I know

I was just messin with ya

Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
2004dodgehemi

what is the particulate filter? Do you feel the mpg will be up or just the emissions down?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get an early 07 with the 5.9 you wont have the emissions crap. however once 1/1/07 comes about with the introduction of the 6.7L fuel mileage will suffer and you will be held back in terms of what you can and cannot do. . .for a while untill the aftermarket gets things figured out.

the 5.9, 48RE, and 3.73's under stock conditions can see easily 18-20+ MPG depending on driveing habbits. The new engine I have not heard enough about it yet to truly comment on it. I know if it is from Cummins they have done their homework and know the engine will live, this is the reason for increaseing the displacement to 6.7L. the emissions crap robs power, increaseing the displacement makes it easier for the engine to overcome the loss of power, however you do sacrafice fuel mileage.

if I was looking at buying a truck and needed advice, this would be something to think about. The particulate filter for the new emissions crap is expensive, and only lasts for so long before it has to be replaced. if you use LSD fuel it will clog after about 3-4 fill-ups. If the truck is equipped with the 5.9 there wont be as much emissions crap, even though there is a cat, depending on your emissions laws you can get rid of it. The new engnine's computer monitors the cat just like gassers and can tell if it is working properly or not. If you want a Diesel, go for the 5.9L only because of the emissions requirements that go into effect 1/1/07.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
2004dodgehemi

drew? how much is that filter and every 3-4 fillup it will need to be changed? That seems crazy. Is it a fuel filter or ???

Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a difference in the Fuel between LSD and ULSD. Low Sulfur Diesel has around 500ppm sulfur content, which means alot more particles, the ULSD only has about 15ppm sulfur content to reduce emissions.

the particulate filter in the exhaust catches these particles and keeps them from exiting the exhaust. over time the filter will clog much like the filter on your home A/C unit.

if the truck runs ULSD there will be fewer particles going out the tail pipe as opposed to LSD. the Cummins engine has been certified to run on ULSD since 03. many stations around the US still stock LSD and have not changed to ULSD since the in-ground tanks have to be scrubbed to remove the sulfur and other gunk in the tank before ULSD can be pumped in.

another thing I dislike about ULSD is it is refined more than LSD to remove the sulfur. When you remove the sulfur you also remove the lubricative properties of the fuel and I fear there will not be enough lube to keep the injector pump and injectors happy. ULSD is very dry when it comes from the refineries, it is in essence JP-8, however before the oil companies ship it out they do add lubricants to the fuel, but there could be more.

the 3-4 tanks I am refering to is with the new engine with the filter running LSD and not ULSD.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

the Cummins engine has been certified to run on ULSD since 03.
What about 98's?

Are we older diesels screwed ??

Quick Reply: hoping to join you but have a few questions!!