Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Opinions Plz don't know what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:47 PM
Ben D.
|
Champion
Default Opinions Plz don't know what to buy

Ok guys I'm looking for a new truck. I have for the last year or two driven a jeep wrangler with the 4 cyl. and i'm sick of it. too slow no get up and go and the list goes on. well jeep made the wranglers ugly now so i'll go with someting that the more i look at the more i really like.
I'm looking at a 07 Dodge Ram 2500 TRX4 or SLT not sure yet. With the 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel and six speed manual tranny. I gotta say a friend of mine let me drive his and i was blown away. The torque that truck had was phenomanol. (perhaps i was so amazed because of what i was used to driving lol). Well heres what I'm not sure of I was looking and i either want a quad cab or a regular cab. With quad cab i would go with short bed 6.25 and with the regular cab gotta go with long since short isn't an option. Looking for personal opinions on what you like. I'm leaning towards the quad cab and short bed.

And lastly what do you guys think of your trucks. Ive asked a lotta ppl and heard nothing but good things. Most ppl tell me to go with the diesel not only for the power but for the added gas mileage and the fact that the cummins diesel engine has a very good lifespan.

Old 10-27-2006 | 04:14 PM
Ben D.
|
Champion
Default RE: Opinions Plz don't know what to buy

also are the cummins turbo diesels really bad for starting in the cold???? ive heard diesels can be like that but I think that may be more iwht older ones???

Old 10-27-2006 | 04:23 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

First Welcome to DF. I bought the QC short bed and love it. As for what we think of our trucks. WE [sm=Awwww.gif] them to death. The only time you may have a hard time starting is if you didn't have it plugged in and the temp was 25 below zero. If you live in the north were it gets cold and if it did does not come with a block cord, then get them to give you a heater cord as part of the deal. Yes the Cummins has a long life span of up to 250,000 miles. Some have driven them over 500,000 miles.

Old 10-27-2006 | 04:49 PM
dodgedakotacrazy
Professional

i don't own a new dodge i own a 92 cummins . and it starts great in the winter. better than anyother diesel i've seen. i forgot to plug it in one night and hit around -4 degrees F. and i let the intake heater warm up and hit the key and fired off. except thats hard on em...need to be plugged in it turned over pretty slow.

Old 10-27-2006 | 04:56 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

At thoses temps you need a winter weight oil. I'm not sure if you can use a 5w40 in yours like I can in my 06. You may want to check in to this or keep it plugged in all of the time when you have 15-40 in it.

Old 10-27-2006 | 05:10 PM
Dodge This
Professional

I love my 06 quad cab. The best truck I ever owned...[sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-27-2006 | 05:44 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Diito that - I love mine. I've owned all the big three (and Toy) trucks, and I've settled on Dodges now for the last four - and although mechanically as most will tell you they're great, a big reason with me is that at 6'3" and 260 lbs, I am most comfortable on long trips in the Dodge Quads.

Old 10-27-2006 | 06:28 PM
Drew
Professional

the only thing I wish I could have different on my truck is haveing 3.73's instead of 4.10's. but when I need to pull something I know I can back up to anything and yank it across the next state sideways and still get 13mpg.

the first work to be done mechnicaly on the engine is at 150,000, and that is only checking the valve lash. I know a few guys with well over 400,000 on their 03's and 04's that use them for hot shotting, did the 150K valve lash service and didnt have to adjust a thing. they are still on the road and might have seen the dealer once or twice for cosmetic work.

the engine and tranny will still be in good shape long after the body has rusted away.

QC SB is what I have as well, I wouldnt go any other way.

Old 10-27-2006 | 07:04 PM
Ben D.
|
Champion

I was definately leaning towards the QC SB. now hearing that you guys like it that makes the decision easier. I live in southern pennsylvania probably the lowest temp the truck will ever see is mebbe a lil less than 10 degrees. Also whats the deal with the end of this year no more 5.9???? or will there still be 5.9 after the end of year. If so i guess ill have to hurry and get this thing ordered. I'm lookin forward to getting this thing soooo bad. Next time some lil rice mobile or somtin pulls up next to me at the red light they better know waht they are getting into

Old 10-27-2006 | 07:12 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

Buy an 06 then ya won't have all the emission crap on there, and you could probably get one real cheap this tome of year. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Opinions Plz don't know what to buy