Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

gooseneck hitch recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
cracker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gooseneck hitch recomendations

I just picked me up a gooseneck horse trailer and has some questions about gooseneck hitches. I figured at least a few of you guys had some experiance with them on our trucks. I have been looking at the draw-tiite hide a goose and also the b&w that also flips over and leaves a level bed. From what I have been told and read I am kinda torn between the 2. They look to be around the same cost and weight rating but a bit differant. Both are bolt up with no welding or bed removal.

Draw-tight-- Sits directly over the axle. In the online instructions, says on 4x2 models (that I own) not to turn the hitch/ball over due to clearnace issues with the rear axle!!! This seams to be a problem due to this is the reason I will pay for a flip over hitch. I see that it comes with a decorative magnetic cover. Is this for when the ball is not istalled and will this some cheap plastic that will break as soon as I put something on it??

B&W-- Sits fwd of the axle by a few inches. On my 6 foot bed will this be a issue with my tool box? Has anyone has any issues with the trailer getting too close to the bed??

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gooseneck hitch recomendations

Sorry Cracker I have not seen thoose, But I do have a Reese slider 16K. I can slide the weight to the frount or rear as I like. It helps out in getting in and out of a tight spots. Also with the ride. I just pull mine out when not in use leaving only the rails.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:12 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got a hide a ball that is mounted 2 inches in front of the rear axle. I also have a 90 gallon fuel tank the size of a tool box in the back of the truck. The trailer never gets anywhere close to the tool box/fuel tank. If you trailer has living quarters or an area over the goose neck hitch(like where you can put a bed) be carefull not to make a sharp turn and have the corner of the trailer bust out your back window. If you have a long bed, then that probably won't be a problem.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 PM
GBWELDING

I went with the B&W, am very happy with it, easy install and tough as hell. It sits about 2" infront of axel center, I also have a large tool box and have had no issues with room. I haven't seen the other brand that you mentioned so all I can tell you is I'm satisfied with the B&W, hope this helps on you decision. Also on flipping the ball, It can become stuck with dirt, rust ect. over time, had a friend get so stuck that a 20 ton overhead crane couldn't pull it out but we know now that you can pickup a truck by the gooseneck hitch without any damage

Old 11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
jakebrake
Champion

any pics?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
bigmike
Professional

i vote for B&W also. the install is clean and tight. just leave the ball out altogether when you are not towing for the axle clearance issues.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
GREYGHOST21
Rookie

I have the gooseneck plate on the 5th wheel rails. ball is 3 in in front of axle. i have a sundowner living quarters horse trailer and have no turning/backing problems with my swb. At 90 degrees i still have 3 or 4 inches to the window. u dont need more than that

Old 11-13-2006, 08:04 PM
cracker
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys. Think I will try the B&W. I called them today and they gave me some measurements to make to make sure that all is good. I have the short bed so from what I can see it looks like the hitch would be pretty close to my tool box. I will let you guys know what I come up with.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 PM
jakebrake
Champion

whats the weight limit on those hitches as far as the reece slider and the b & w? I'm liking the idea of being able to postition the load where I want it. Got any pics of the slider or the b&w?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
cracker
Rookie

http://www.turnoverball.com/ for the b&w

http://www.reese-hitches.com/

Most are 30k hitches. Have not seen the slider yet.

Quick Reply: gooseneck hitch recomendations