Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Keys Made

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
sabersix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Keys Made

I successfully programmed two spare keys (and remote entry fobs) for my truck today. As has been discussed in this forum, it is highly recommended that you have at least three working keys because of the way the transponder keys work. If you lose a key and only have one other key, you will have to go to a dealer or locksmith to get a new key programmed by a computer. This has been reported to cost around $275. If you lose a key and still have two remaining keys, you can program a replacement key yourself in a couple of minutes.

I got my transponder key blanks from eBay for $14.95 each plus $2.75 shipping. This guy was very helpful and professional. If you don't see the transponder key listed, just email him. He has them in stock. Be sure to get a transponder key blank(s).

I also got the remote entry fobs from eBay for $9.95 each plus $4.95 shipping. There are lots of different people selling them. Be sure to match your FCC ID number or Chrysler P/N on the back with the item for sale. Don't go by the auction picture.

Ace hardware cut the keys for $1.83. Programming instructions were included by the eBay sellers.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:11 PM
spfd308
Professional
Default RE: New Keys Made

good stuff to know that i didn't. thanks for the info.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:30 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

yes i agree...good stuff to know. would you mind doing a write up on programming the FOB for everyone who doesnt know how??

Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 PM
sabersix

FOB programming:

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed to your vehicle. To program a transmitter perform the following procedure:

Enter the vehicle and close all the doors.
Turn the ignition to RUN position (can be started or not).
Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a previously programmed transmitter for 4 to 10 seconds.
Then press the PANIC button for one second while still depressing the UNLOCK button.
A single chime indicates that the system is in program mode.
Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on a FOB to be programmed.
A single chime will be heard, this indicates the FOB has been recognized.
Press and release any button on the same FOB.
A single chime will be heard, this indicates the FOB has been programmed.
Repeat for all remaining FOBs (including any extra previously programmed remotes).
Turn vehicle to OFF to exit programming mode.
Test the function of all remotes.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:09 PM
sabersix

Transponder key programming (must have two working transponder keys):

Up to 8 transponder keys can be programmed to your vehicle. To program a transponder key perform the following procedure:

Insert 1st existing key into the ignition and turn to RUN position for 5-15 seconds.
Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
Insert 2nd existing key into the ignition and turn to RUN within 15 seconds.
After 10 seconds, the theft alarm light will illuminate. A single chime indicates entry into customer program mode.
Turn ignition to OFF within 60 seconds and remove key.
Insert properly cut new transponder key and turn to RUN.
After 10 seconds, the theft alarm light will go out. A single chime will indicate the key has been properly programmed.
Wait 5 seconds and turn the key to OFF position.
Repeat as needed for any additional transponder keys.
Test the function of the newly programmed key.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 AM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: sabersix

Transponder key programming (must have two working transponder keys):

Up to 8 transponder keys can be programmed to your vehicle. To program a transponder key perform the following procedure:

Insert 1st existing key into the ignition and turn to RUN position for 5-15 seconds.
Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
Insert 2nd existing key into the ignition and turn to RUN within 15 seconds.
After 10 seconds, the theft alarm light will illuminate. A single chime indicates entry into customer program mode.
Turn ignition to OFF within 60 seconds and remove key.
Insert properly cut new transponder key and turn to RUN.
After 10 seconds, the theft alarm light will go out. A single chime will indicate the key has been properly programmed.
Wait 5 seconds and turn the key to OFF position.
Repeat as needed for any additional transponder keys.
Test the function of the newly programmed key.
Ok,

I have a question. I have a 2006 CTD. Is there a transponder key available that does NOT have that remote control on it? That remote on the key makes it too big if you want to carry them in your pocket.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 AM
sabersix

Ok,

I have a question. I have a 2006 CTD. Is there a transponder key available that does NOT have that remote control on it? That remote on the key makes it too big if you want to carry them in your pocket.
I'm not sure on those. You may want to ask the dealer or a professional locksmith.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Yes they make a key with the transponder and without the keyless entry built ontoit. Its grey like the older SKIM keys used to be. Part number is 05134937AA. And it retails for around $50

Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 PM
McGillicutty

My 2004 CTD came with a funky, cheap looking key and no fob. Until I read this entry in this thread, I assumed you all were speaking of the keyless entry fob when you spoke of the "transponder". This isn't the case? What exactly is the transponder, is it located in the key and what's it's purpose? Can I just buy any old Dodge Keyless Entry fob and program it to my truck? If I wanted to get the remote start feature, should I just go aftermarket? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: McGillicutty

My 2004 CTD came with a funky, cheap looking key and no fob. Until I read this entry in this thread, I assumed you all were speaking of the keyless entry fob when you spoke of the "transponder". This isn't the case? What exactly is the transponder, is it located in the key and what's it's purpose? Can I just buy any old Dodge Keyless Entry fob and program it to my truck? If I wanted to get the remote start feature, should I just go aftermarket? Thanks.
This is what the transponder key looks like (it is has a 1/4" thick grey head) and the FOB. The transponder in the key is interrogated by the security ring on the ignition switch at startup to check for a valid key. If the key is not "programmed" into the truck's memory the ignition is disabled. Remote keyless entry (a FOB) was an standard on the SLT. The transponder key (Sentry Key Theft Deterrent) was standard on the Laramie. Sounds like your truck does not have the transponder key option. It may or may not have the remote keyless. If you do have the remote keyless entry option, but do not have at least one working FOB, you will have to go to the dealer for assistance or go aftermarket. You can go aftermarket or dealer for the remote start feature.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52139/909251A623EE47028D2220893021BA8A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/52139/610874E37634425C9ED073F84A82F828.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New Keys Made