Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Making the switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
dakotafireguy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch

Hey everyone-

I currently own an '05 Ram 2500 Hemi QC and am looking to upgrade to an '06 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab. My local dealer has a few of them that they are advertising at $10,000 below MSRP. I've always wanted the Cummins and have regretted not getting it my current ride. The only downside to this deal that I can see would be a decent increase in my monthly payment. Question is, is the diesel really going to be worth the extra payment? I dont drive an insane amount of miles per year (15k - 20k). Besides the extra oil required per change, are there any other maintenance issues that might get pricey? Also, the truck has 4.10 gears in it while my Hemi has 3.73s, so am I really going to see any increase in mpg? I get 14-15 on the highway with the Hemi.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: Making the switch

Not to much difference in mpgs, maybe 2 or 3 depending on how you drive. the kewlness level will be much higher with the CTD. The routine maint. will cost more but you can go twice as long between service. If your looking at long term , the diesel is the way to go.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
cumminalong

Of all the diesels, the CTD has the lowest maintenance cost assosciated with it, BY FAR.

Examples:

CTD takes 12 qts of oil, Ford PS takes 15-16
CTD fuel filter from Geno's - $14. PSD fuel filter(s) from Geno's $60.
Oil Changes - You can easily push extended oil drain intervals on the CTD. The PSD MUST be changed at least every 5K as it shears oil like a demon.

Now, as far as mileage goes. With those 4.10's you won't see much over what you are getting now, but with a box or programmer you may bump it up a few. Throw a trailer behind it and see what happens though. You'll see a huge difference in mileage compared to a Hemi there.

Range to re-fuels. I can push upwards of 600 miles, more on the highway, before I have to refuel. Nice on long trips. Ever been between Dallas and El Paso, TX. Not a lot of places to stop in there.

Has the sack to pull the nuts off of a rhino! 'Nuff said.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 PM
HAZZERD1051
Rookie

I previously had a 99 dodge ram 360 was gettin less then 12 unless i was on the highway easy. I always had wanted a CTD both for the kelwness and the raw power u have at your disposal. I currently own a 07 dodge ram mega cab, yes it is a bit more on the payments, but i can't think of one reason i would ever regret buying this vehical. I drive alot of intown and to work places and still get over 400+ MPG if i drive on the high way it's 600+ assuming i don't play around. it will be one of the best things you'll ever do.

Plus everyone looks at you like DAMN! now thats a big truck. I even had a PS guy come over to me ask say that lol.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:03 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Try to find one with 3.73's and I think you will be happier with them if you don't tow heavy and it should get a few more mpgs over the 4.10's. I went from a 2005 1500, QC, 4.7L, to the CTD and I'm very happy with it and the better fuel mileage I get from it. I get 18-20 mpg on the Hwy and only got 14-15 mpg out of the 4.7L on the Hwy. Also the diesel engine should last 3 times longer then most gas engines do.

Good Luck

Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
bigmike
Professional

I had a 2000 2500 4x4 gasser that i really liked. Now i have a 2004.5 2500 4x4 CTD and absolutely love it. I got about 12 mpg out of my 2000 and i get close to 16 mpg out my CTD with the 4.10s. There is no doubt that it is worth the extra $100 bucks or so every month.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
dakotafireguy
Amateur

Thanks for the info guys. Looked around some more and found another Mega Cab diesel that has similar options, give or take. Prob going to take a look at that one tomorrow or Saturday. Gotta try and get myself a little more leverage between the dealers. I'm assuming since that one doesnt say anything about it on the window sticker that i saw online, that it has the 3.73s. One of my big reasons for moving up to the diesel is for the great fuel mileage you guys get compared to me. Anybody have a white/grey two-tone mega cab that they have pics of? The other one i was looking at is that color combo and I'm curious what it looks like before I drive an hour to see it.

Thanks again

Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
dakotafireguy
Amateur
Default RE: Making the switch *UPDATE*

Alrighty- Made the jump today- '06 Mega Cab Diesel-picking it up saturday morning(tomorrow)-I'M PSYCHED!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
cumminalong

Whew Hew!

Welcome aboard brother!

Let's see some pics.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Congrats, welcome to the club. I think you'll be very happy, especially if you haul or tow anything with it.

Quick Reply: Making the switch