Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 AM
danthetigerfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not impressed

Im a self employed Welder, I bought a 07 chasis cab with a 6.7 TD . Im driving the truck without a bed (Im building my own bed, almost done) anyway my friend also a welder has a 06 dually with a 5.9 he is loaded down with tools and a lincoln 250 welding machine. He has added a power chip to the truck. so we decide to test my truck! from a rolling start we stay even at about a 100 mph he totally walks away from me. I am very disappointed in my new truck. My truck should easily pull away from His. Mine has a bigger engine and is appox. 3500 pounds lighter at the moment.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: not impressed

That chip can make a world of difference in a engine. Also, has your had a chance to break in yet? How do you like the 6.7?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:31 AM
danthetigerfan

runs quiet. handles well. has power in the low rpms. at around 2600 or 2800 rpms it falls on its face. also the truck seems to be geared too low. I have a 6 speed mt and at 100 mph the engine is 3100 rpms. (red line)
thetruck now has 6100 miles. I know the chip makes a lot of difference but there is also a lot of weight difference between our trucks.( mine much lighter cause i dont have my bed and tools on it yet)

Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

I'm always up for a race!!!
never mind mine is still in the shop

Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what programmer he is running you are looking at 90 - 150 extra horsepower. In my truck with the 90 hp program it took 1.8 sec of my 1/4 mile time. Also he may have higher gears than you. Tell him to put his truck back stock and see what happens. After a programmer / chip their is no comparison. After you get one you will see.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 AM
Ben D.
Champion

Yea definately dude the chip makes a difference plus you need to remember that with the 6 spd manual your 6.7 and his 5.9 really don't have much difference in power if any at all. His chip is a huge advantage almost incomparable approx 90-110 hp more than stock.
Also the fact that it falls on its face at higher rpms is kinda typical of diesels. They make power lowwwwww especially the 6.7 1400 rpms compare that to pstrokes or d***s makin it a 2000 or so.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
cumminalong

Also, the 6.7 in the chassis cabs, isn't rated as high as the one going in the regular trucks. It slightly derated, power wise, so even stock for stock he is making the same power as you.

Assuming that you probably have 4.10 gears in the back and he, most likely, has 3.73's; he has more usuable RPM that you do, that's why he leaves you at 100. He probably has 200 - 250 more RPM's to go before his taps out.

Whatever chip / programmer he has may also have the speed limiter / RPM limiter feature on it. He can disable both and walk away.

Don't be discouraged by running against a chipped truck, it's night and day.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
danthetigerfan

cumminalong, I dont know if this is true or not but my salesman said not to believe the Hype about the 08 6.7 having 45 more Horsepower than the one in the chasis cab. he has told me that it is the exact same engine and nothing more than a ad campaign. ps he said it not me. I dont know one way or another.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
cumminalong

Half the friggin salesmen would also tell you that it has spark plugs and that only thing a diesel is good for is towing.

The idiot that sold me my truck went to school that day. He had a vague concept of what a truck is.........he thought a Honda Ridgeline was actually a truck.

Almost every engine, from every manufacturer that goes into their chassis cab / medium duty / work truck versions is almost always derated.

The consumer market is more interested in raw power, where as the business market is conserned with longevity and maintenance costs.

You can crank up the juice easy, but usually it's at the cost of longevity.

I'll find the actual numbers for you, but IIRC the chassis cab configuration was only 305 hp / 610 tq.

Let me do some looking.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

I'll find the actual numbers for you, but IIRC the chassis cab configuration was only 305 hp / 610 tq.
Those are the correct numbers for the CC with a manual. For some reason the manual can not handle the extra power of the new engine this is why it's cut back to 305/610 from 350/650 in the 2500 & 3500 trucks.

Quick Reply: not impressed