Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How do I clean out the engine???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
jw_hendry
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean out the engine???

Here's the situation. I bought a used'05 Dodge Diesel about a year ago now, had 32k on it. At 36k I installed the FS2500 Bypass Oil Filter system hoping to see cleaner oil on the dipstick but it hasn't been helping. The system has been leaking ever since I put it on. I tried to tighten some fitting and reallymade itleak.Now I just got new hoses to stick on it and tryagain. I've been changing my oil every 5k miles using Rotella Synthetic and will continue to do so untill I get this system working properly.

Here's my problem. The way the oil looks after drainingand the rapid change in color right after refill leads me to believe that this engine might not have been very well cared for in its previous life. I know diesel oil turns black in a hurry, but I think mine turns black fast enough to break records. I need to know what is the best way to clear sludge and buildup out of the motor. I've heard putting a little ATF in the oil a few hundred miles before oil drain can help. Someone else told me that he use to fill the crankcase with reddiesel after draining the oil and running it for a minute or two, drain that out and then adding new oil, which seems a little risky to me.

Any info will would be helpful.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: How do I clean out the engine???

the black oil is from the soot that comes from the combustion cycle... it is normal and you wont get rid of it. the filter will only go down to the 2 micron level and the soot particles are smaller than that. I did an Amsoil bypass install and it worked out pretty well... before you re-do your lines have a look at it and see if there is anything there that might stand out with regards to your leaks.

the line couplers are reverse thread in my kit, have had no leaks what so ever in the past 5k miles.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_653443/tm.htm

Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Just keep at it, you don't want to put anything but oil in your crankcase. Bad stuff starts happening when you mess around with the oil. Of course my oil takes 5000 to turn a little brown (never turns black, you can always see through it) and I'm just running stock filter setup with delo 400.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

the CR motors have a 3rd injection event which causes more soot. you'll never get it clean like Jakes. I can put in fresh oil, fire it up and it'll be black in a minute or two...

Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
bekim
Professional

Yup black as night faster than fast!
Never mess with the oil in your crankcase! There is plenty of detergent and additive to take care of cleaning lubrication, and acidity already in your oil.
These days oils are SO much better in the additive department than they were back in our parents' days!
Cheers
Mike
###

Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
duneschick
Professional

I thought something was wrong when I changed mine the very first time. We filled it up, started it, (1 minute maybe) run time, he had me check the oil and it was pure black again. I saw the color before we started it.I realize it's a Diesel Thing![sm=innoc.gif]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: duneschick

[sm=innoc.gif]
I don't think this is the proper place or forum to discuses if you’re Innocent or not [sm=escape.gif]

Old 02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
RocketJohn

I might consider a bypass if I had enough experience with them and was running a fleet and wanted to push my oil changes to 30k+ to save maintenance costs for a business... But for a personal rig... oil is cheap... I can't imagine I'll ever see 200k miles in my truck over 10-12 years b/c I don't drive enough... so it seems like it's nto a cost effective add-on for me... that's what I've gained from talkign about these and analyzing with friends over the last year or so...

Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

My oil gets black like Steves. After a nice trip to NV, pulling long hills on Stage 3 with my Edge Juice (yes hitting the defuel point for EGTs) my oil is darker thanDick Chenney'ssoul (sorry ).

Man I love da turbo when in high elevations (6000+) when pulling pass the gasser trucks.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

heres another alternative to a bypass filter setup...

http://www.filtermag.com/

supposed to be good down to the 2 micron level.

Quick Reply: How do I clean out the engine???