Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Dallas192
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust systems

well guys, just put in the Edge withAttitude and WOW it really woke it up. Didnt think it would make that much of a difference but it did Now I"m thinking of the exhaust system. I dont plan on going to anymore power than the Edge, dont really want to spend alot of money on a system, anyone ever use a Summit racing 4 inch system or recommend another system? should I do a catback or a turbo back system?........99ram qcab 4x4 ctd auto.........Dallas

Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: exhaust systems

Being that you have 99, you'll probably want the full turbo back system.

How loud or quiet are you looking for?

If you want quiet, go with an Aero 4040XL and straight though muffler of your choice. This gets rid of the drone and keeps the exhaust within a reasonable tone. Mine isn't much louder than stock, but is much deeper and aggressive sounding (really pisses my other CTD buddy off )

If you want louder, then get an MBRP setup. They have quality components, but they are definitely not on the quiet side.

Or....you could always straight pipe it and go for that semi truck sound.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Dallas192
Professional

thanks Cumminalong, think I'll stay with the quieter system. Between my bike and my race car theres enough noise...lol...Dallas

Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Dallas192
Professional

I'm figuring on the 4" system, what do you think....Dallas

Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

The 4" is plenty for your truck. If you go bigger you will loose some low end torque according to many here.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

The 4" is plenty for your truck. If you go bigger you will loose some low end torque according to many here.
Exactly! 4" will be perfect. You don't need or want any bigger until you start looking at the 500HP range.....bigger injectors.....big turbo / twins....etc.

Bigger than 4", you'll lose performance and the drone will be worse, as the exhaust tumbles and doesn't flow as smoothly. Plus the engine is pushing more dead air through the exhaust and this increases backpressure, just like a restricted or crimped exhaust would.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Dallas192
Professional

Guys, thanks for all the info...your all a big help...keep up the good work ..........Dallas

Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to explain the main reason to go to the 4 inch exhaust. . .the pipe coming from the turbo is only 3.5" this is a choke point when it comes to moveing the exhaust gasses away from the turbo. if these gasses linger too long your EGT's will get higher and higher with the more fuel you put in to increase power. opening this up to a 4 inch system will make it easier for the exhaust gasses to move from the turbo.

on 04 and earlier trucks I do not view going from a 3.5-4 inch exhaust a power booster in on itself. I see it as one of the building blocks to help in keeping things in check when building power. High Exhaust Gas Temps are not a good thing, and going to a larger diameter exhaust will cool things down.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Being that you have 99, you'll probably want the full turbo back system.

How loud or quiet are you looking for?

If you want quiet, go with an Aero 4040XL and straight though muffler of your choice. This gets rid of the drone and keeps the exhaust within a reasonable tone. Mine isn't much louder than stock, but is much deeper and aggressive sounding (really pisses my other CTD buddy off )

If you want louder, then get an MBRP setup. They have quality components, but they are definitely not on the quiet side.

Or....you could always straight pipe it and go for that semi truck sound.
Are you talking about the turboback MBRP becuase I put a catback on mine and it's quiet until you get on it. I love the way it sounds.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Dallas192
Professional

so Drew, your telling me to leave the stock 3.5 inch downpipe off the turbo and basically do a 4" catback correct? Is that to keep up the exhaust flow and to help build some power?.........Dallas

Quick Reply: exhaust systems