Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

92 Ram van brake nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 PM
nitro71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to be close! It's only a machine..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nitro71
You have to be close! It's only a machine..
Huh? What's this in reference to?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
fredb
Default 92 dodge ram van nightmare

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to an old friend...a biker and he put the word out and came back with...trace the problem. Start with the closest to the wheel and pop the bleed, if it releases, go to the next and so on thru the system, bleeding each step. Well it went back to the Master Cyl and did not release. The new Master cyl!
Replaced it for the third time...new...old...new and another new, who says craftsmanship is dead. Trust no one in the parts business.
Strange thing is that with the exception of one of five(sources) all agreed that both front brakes would sieze at the same time and this never was the case.

Gentlemen she is rolling and back to normal...I hope!

Thank you for you hours of thought and wisdom.
If you are ever in the Omaha area...I owe you a beer and a good steak. Just give me a call at 402-861-5743

Truly yours and thank you ever so much,

Fred

Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM
iroaster84

Originally Posted by fredb
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to an old friend...a biker and he put the word out and came back with...trace the problem. Start with the closest to the wheel and pop the bleed, if it releases, go to the next and so on thru the system, bleeding each step. Well it went back to the Master Cyl and did not release. The new Master cyl!
Replaced it for the third time...new...old...new and another new, who says craftsmanship is dead. Trust no one in the parts business.
Strange thing is that with the exception of one of five(sources) all agreed that both front brakes would sieze at the same time and this never was the case.

Gentlemen she is rolling and back to normal...I hope!

Thank you for you hours of thought and wisdom.
If you are ever in the Omaha area...I owe you a beer and a good steak. Just give me a call at 402-861-5743

Truly yours and thank you ever so much,

Fred
hey fred I'm having the exact same problem same van. Read the post and winded up exactly where you were with the exception of having her rolling without locking up. So with all that said was it the master cylinder alone?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 AM
fredb
Default fredb

Never was the master cyl, or ABS or caliper...turns out it was the least expensive part in the system. The flex brake line that ties from the crossover line into the caliper. Blockage or failure was the cause and in fact it happened a second time, changed it out again and low and behold...forward motion.
I also bled a ton of fluid thru the system before connecting the main line to the flex and then to the caliper in hopes of cleaning out crap from the system. Works great now!
Of special note: make sure to align the bolt that connects the line to the caliper...hole to hole. I missed this and had a rude awakening when absolutely nothing happen during my nightmare!

Good luck and hope this helps.

Fred

Last edited by fredb; 10-04-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fredb
Blockage or failure was the cause and in fact it happened a second time, changed it out again and low and behold...forward motion.
The same hose twice? That is just damn aggravating.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

same here--'92 b250 conv van--only thing that i have had to do to it since '95--rf wheel locked up-brake would not release-put both flexable hoses and calipers on-no problem-happy camper--oh oh--forgot 'bout having to put an ECM on a few yrs back--still a happy camper!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
fredb

Hello out there!
A new problem with the same old van. 92 Dodge ram 250 conversion w/318 motor.
As I run down the road the van will stall...drops dead and then in a moment I can restart it. Thought it could be a fuel filter so that was replaced. Cleaned and new bolts on battery cables since she tested a tiny bit low. Still doing the stall.
I know its either fuel or spark, just not sure of which or the cause.
Anyone have this problem in the past and solved the riddle?

Fredb

Old 08-20-2011, 12:36 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi Fredb
With any new problems you should start a new post. This way everyone will read your stalling problem, because they think you are still having a problem with the brakes. Thanks Fredb If you have any questions, just drop me a pm.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my stall--no start problem was the ECM. glad ya got your rf brake working

Quick Reply: 92 Ram van brake nightmare