Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Steering Play 2001 Ram Van 3500

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Care-A-Van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Play 2001 Ram Van 3500

I have a 2001 Ram Van 3500 with 72000 original miles. It seems like it has excessive play in the steering wheel and is hard to control in high winds.
I have replaced both idler arms, the right outer tie rod and the strut rod bushings and had it aligned. Everything else is tight on the steering.
When I turn the steering wheel while sitting still, it seems to move about 2-3 inchs before it actually turns the wheels. Could the steering box be bad or out of adjustment? I wouldn't think it would be worn out with only 72000 miles? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Care-A-Van

This TSB is for a Ram Truck. Would it be the same for a Ram Van?

Originally Posted by stev

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Some of the Ram Truck items do apply with the Ram Vans. You will need to contact your local dealer to verify if the TSB applies. Geno's Garage covers many TSBs for Dodge trucks/vans, but not all of them are posted.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Start by having someone turn (wiggle) the wheel and you observe where the play is. Two usual culprits, steering box is loose (internally) and the coupling is worn. Easiest way to access the box adjustment is by removing the grille. There is a cutout in the radiator support piece, and you can see the adjuster in there. (look through the grille first before you go to the trouble of removing). Adjust the set screw in quarter turns until it is tighter........don't get it TOO tight. Usually best to do that adjustment away from the center point just to avoid that problem. If the coupler is loose, you can get a kit for that. Put a grease nipple in the bottom of that coupler so it can be ocassionally flushed with grease, to keep it nice and clean. Check the body for wear also, I bought the whole deal (new) in the one pictured.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Grease nipple is on the left side, midway down.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mopar kit Pt. # 4443436

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2001 does not use that type of steering coupler. It is a U joint, but still worthy of checking for slop.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Care-A-Van

I cant get to the adjusting nut on the steering box even with taking the grille off. The adjusting nut is more like behind the bumper. I have no idea how to get to it easily and make the adjustment without taking the whole steering box out?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Care-A-Van
I have no idea how to get to it easily and make the adjustment without taking the whole steering box out?
Remove the coolant overflow and washer fluid bottles. You'll be amazed at how much room that gives you.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Talking

Originally Posted by alloro
Remove the coolant overflow and washer fluid bottles. You'll be amazed at how much room that gives you.
I totally agree with Alloro's advice here. Last month I had to replace the RAD, water-pump, fan&clutch, belts, hoses and T-stat. Removing the two bottles provided ample enough room to complete the job. Just becareful not to whack the secondary tranny cooler lines.

To remove the bottles, it's just the top screws and slipping off the hoses. Place a pan under the vehicle to catch and spills.

Also, if you are down in there, and you horn isn't the best or not working, you will have room to fix or replace it too.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
nitro71

I'd replace the shocks. A hard time controlling the vehicle at freeway speeds is a symptom of bad shocks.

Quick Reply: Steering Play 2001 Ram Van 3500