Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

WOW...LED Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Default WOW...LED Headlamps

So I took the plunge and decided to try LED headlamps in my van. I was completely blown away at how much they lit up the road in front of me, it was way beyond my expectations.

I used these HB1 9004 6000LM Cree Headlamp Dual Beam HID Xenon White LEDs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361377834141

Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Dennisa.taylor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to get some for my trip to Florida. My biggest complaint on my van has always been the lack of headlights. Lens are getting dull and it seems like I am always on low beam. I tow a 30 ft travel trailer and need good vision. Thanks Alloro!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I found that the high beams are kind of useless for driving. They seem to point up rather high and do a good job of lighting up the trees. But the low beams are more than bright enough where you would never use the high beams anyways. I actually had to tilt my headlights down about 7 degrees because they were lighting up too far down the road.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Dennisa.taylor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some Alloro. I am looking forward to having some light to drive by at night time. Are you saying that you cannot even use high beam? I will make adjustments. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm saying that you do not need to use high beams, but if you do they seem better suited at lighting up a very high and wide area in front of you instead of stronger spotlight type of beam. BTW, the ones I bought everything is plug-in, there is no need to modify any wiring.

After doing some driving last night I had to go back out so I took my Navigator instead. While the Navigators headlights were always much better than my van I was amazed at how I quickly I had gotten used to the whiter light of the van's LEDs and how the Navigator's headlights now seem dim. So last night I ordered a set (different number) for my Navigator.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:43 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Get us some pics with a normal setup and yours, like in a parking lot at night.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whiter light is not necessarily brighter light.

White light has more blue in it which is more glaring to other drivers.
More foreground lighting is only feel good lighting. It actually impairs the ability of the driver to see at a distance.

Humans cannot reliably judge how well they can actually see They are actually extremely poor at such a task, so any claims of improved seeing are purely Psychosomatic.

Headlamps are precisely designed around a filament light source to give adequate seeing and NOT blind oncoming drivers.. One can not just drop any old bulb in a halogen reflector and magically have a headlight which conrfoms to motor vehicle safety standards.

As somebody with a respected mechanical background, It is disappointing to see Alloro jump on the bandwagon regarding vehicular lighting and the cheesy 'upgrades' that are now available, and start promoting products inherently unsafe and illegal

Flood lights are not headlights.

When i am blinded by a pair of LED or HID lights foolishly installed into halogen housings/ reflectors, I get extremely irritated. I have an Illegal extra 2400 lumen spot lights aimed at the opposing lane at the flick of my high beams, so both drivers can be blinded equally.

Seems like soon everybody will just be driving around with excessive feel good bling lighting, until blinded by someone else with the same stubborn, ignorant, selfish mindset.

If you want better headlamps, get 14.4v to the original halogen h4 bulbs, phillips extreme have very precise filament placement leading to better focus. If your lenses are cloudy, it makes the glare to other drivers worse, while reducing the driver's ability to see.

All this information will evaporate like a fart in a windstorm as people will never accept that their lighting 'upgrades' are in fact unsafe illegal downgrades, but it needs to be said.

If your illegal headlights blind me, I will return the favor x 10. i Wish it was not necessary.

Now go take a selfie and post it online somewhere and wait for that 'like tally' to increase.

Anybody who is actually looking to safely improve their ability to see would learn a lot by reading the information posted at this site:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

And not waste their money on illegal unsafe ineffective 'upgrades'

I seriously hope they start enforcing lighting laws. The proliferation of HID bulbs an LED bulbs into halogen housings is a scourge upon our roads and just another sign that ignorance and arrogance combined with today's style of self importance, are an extremely dangerous combination.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Whiter light is not necessarily brighter light.
White light has more blue in it which is more glaring to other drivers.
More foreground lighting is only feel good lighting.
any claims of improved seeing are purely Psychosomatic.

As somebody with a respected mechanical background, It is disappointing to see Alloro jump on the bandwagon

I have an Illegal extra 2400 lumen spot lights aimed at the opposing lane at the flick of my high beams, so both drivers can be blinded equally.

If your illegal headlights blind me, I will return the favor x 10.
Wow I'm not even sure where to begin with all of the assumptions and hypocrisy in your post. Seeing as how you haven't seen how what I've installed displays down the road, then everything you've written regarding how they light up the road carries absolutely no weight.

Then you go on to suggest I'm blindly jumping on some bandwagon. You seem to have forgotten I am a long time electrician and am well versed in LED technology, and I specifically bought and subsequently suggested these LEDs only because they are made by CREE. A simple Google search will show you that CREE was one of the first in developing LED technology and still leads that market today.

Then the most significant portion of your post is where you say that you purposely setup illegal lighting for the sole purpose of blinding an oncoming driver. The result is that there will be 2, not just one, impaired drivers heading towards each other at 100 MPH. That's about as dumb and irresponsible an action as I have ever heard of.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

I was considering a led bulb for my truck. The one i had in mind has a higher lumen output than the ones you chose(same bulb type 9004). Not contributing to the argument but this may clear things up a bit...
http://www.hid-lightsdownunder.com/page003.html

My post about the bulbs...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ght-bulbs.html

Old 10-27-2015, 09:54 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cree is one of the most highly counterfeited brand Names anywhere,

But you did your google research and found that CREE is a respected name.

Good for you. I'm in awe.

Also you are an electrician. Why that certainly makes you an automotive lighting expert, as surely you have Goniophotometer and know how to use it, and how to compare legal bulbs to the pure junk you installed and are recommending to others, But again, you see more feel good foreground lighting and WOW. Too bad your pupils are now so constricted you cannot see the road properly 250 feet ahead. WOW. You genius. I'm in awe. We all are.

Douche.

As for my illegal lighting, they only come on with my high beams, and only when some arrogant ignorant self important douche like yourself thinks their glaring illegal unsafe WOW led retrofit is the best thing since sliced bread. I leave it on only long enough to make a point, that they are blinding everyone on the opposite side of the road with their low beams. Perhaps if this happens often enough they will remove the unsafe junk from their reflectors.

My low beams are safe, legal, approved and while total lumen output will be dwarfed by some LED glare lights, they will also put more light on the road where it does the most good for the human eye to discern objects on the road ahead

I hope you get pulled over by a cop that has been having a real bad day, and your glaring blue lights are the straw that set him off. Please tick him off too, and resist arrest.

WOW!

You know nothing on this topic, and should not be giving product recommendations.

At this point in time, there is no legal or effective LED h4 bulb which can work properly in a halogen reflector. Phillips comes the closest to it, but they do not advertise it in North America as they know it cannot meet regulations. Granted lots of lighting regulations are outdated, but this does not apply to stray blinding light above the cutoff.

Wait a while. Phillips are spending millions on R&D, trying to design something that will work properly and legally as a drop in replacement, as once there is actually a Legal LED upgrade which can replace halogen filament bulbs in all applications, There is huge money to be made.

Just because h4 LED and HID kits are Now available for sale, does not mean they are safe and legal, only that there is a market for them.

To anybody thinking of following the lead lemming off the cliff, Please disregard the thought of An LED bulb installed into any halogen reflector housing at this point in time. The technology is not there yet.
Best thing that can be done is a 10 or 12awg relay harness to get alternator voltages to the headlight sockets, bypassing the too long and way too thin stick wiring which drops the voltage by 2 to 3 volts, and 400 to 500 lumens per headlamp. The best H4 bulbs are the Phillips extreme. Polish your headlamp housings, and that will be more than enough to see properly, safely, and legally.

Headlamps are not just toys, they are safety devices which must meet a certain criteria. No human eye can properly judge whether they meet this criteria. This is a simple fact. Irrefutable.

Quick Reply: WOW...LED Headlamps