Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'01 What is this relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:39 PM
personrlr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by personrlr
Sorry, my first message was out of time and is just on top of this one.
Let see, I m following you guys for a little because I do have the same problem in my 2002 Dodge Ram Van 2.5 liters 318 engine, all are questions and no many answers, maybe one more in the conversation clear a little the concept.
Do we know how the communication is established between the PCM and the cluster? evidently have to be by cables. are these the #27 and #29 in connector C3 on the PCM.
Is any diagrams with this information?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:10 PM
personrlr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remove the instrument cluster from his location, remove the protection board in the back of the cluster, in the circuit board I can see a 5 volts regulator, and couple of resistors of low impedance 15 ohm, 20 ohm and 240 ohm. which means the 5 v came from the instruments cluster in my case and the termination for the bus to with the resistors found in the board,
My question steal the same is any diagram showing this specific connection between PCM and electrical cluster?
Number 27 and 29 on connector C3 of the PCM, are located in the connector for the ODBIII tool.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The instrument cluster is not required, the vehicle should start/drive/stop without issue with the panel completely unplugged. Any voltage regulator found on the instrument cluster exists only to power a microcontroller chip, gauges, and ODBC connector. Go back to troubleshooting PCM and BCM connections. Start by verifying all ground wires. There are at least six wiring harness connections to ground that will prevent the vehicle from running if they arent making solid connection to battery negative.

Last edited by blackvan; 07-04-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't stand the suspense, is it soup yet?
today, July 4, rainy with outside temp of 69... tried to start, turn key on, all guages including fuel and voltmeter working indicating that no bus is NOT an issue, but battery too low to crank/start engine... I should have put battery tender on... OBDII working on my scanner...

took off BCD module as blackvan suggestted to look at in another thread... BCD part# unique to anything on ebay...

took apart BCD box to look inside... all external connections and internals look good... nothing discolored, and more to the point everything is coated with a clear plastic-like substance like it was painted on... probably precluding fixing anything on this board.

Got battery on charge. I dug up my old ocilloscope and will do some scoping on the bus connections when it stops raining.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C3 pins 27 and 29 on the SCI BUSS, pin 30 on the PCI Buss.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM
rsdata
Captain

My question steal the same is any diagram showing this specific connection between PCM and electrical cluster?
Number 27 and 29 on connector C3 of the PCM, are located in the connector for the ODBIII tool.
I found this information today... for a 1999 Dodge Durango

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
From what I have read the PCM uses the SCI for scan tool diagnostics not the CCD. Is this correct?
Dodgerench
Expert: Dodgerench replied 8 years ago.
Actually both. The SCI is the hi-speed bus and is used with the factory DRB3 unit. It has more depth for information than the CCD side, which is considered Generic by Chrysler. The Generic side is stuff that HAS to be provided by law and is a bit lacking. You won't get Monitor screens and stuff like that... just some live sensor outputs, codes and CARB readiness.
I use the Generic/ CCD function when the SCI isn't working to see if the PCM is even working sometimes. It works the same way with diesels (Cummins controllers) and the Mitsubishi products. We need to use a translater card to access ST22-type Stratus using the SCI and the info isn't that much better so I sometimes just punch the Generic Scan Tool button and go in that way.
read the whole exchange here...

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/12ok...n-problem.html

QUESTION

From what I read here the SCI bus communicates with the Dodge DRB3 scan tool, BUT which bus does the PCM communicate on, the SCI or the CCD bus for engine control?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

According to my '99 Durango wiring diagrams, both the DLC and PCM use CCD and SCI.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb ccd VS pci

I may be wrong, but I believe CCD was phased out and PCI was taken up with the generation change in 2002.
From my understanding, SCI is used for dealer diagnostics with the DRBIII and maybe other high-end equipment.

Here's information on BUSS Communications from the '02 manual:
On the SCI BUSS:
PCM
TCM
CAB
DLC

On the PCI BUSS:
PCM
IPM
FCM
CAB
RADIO
AUDIO AMP
DLC
AIRBAG CONTROLLER MODULE
A/C HEATER CONTROL
XFER CASE CONTROL MODULE
SKIM
LEFT AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE
RIGHT AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
COMPASS/MINITRIP COMPUTER
DIAGNOSTIC JUNCTION PORT

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-05-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 AM
rsdata
Captain

Friar...
with all due respect...
this forum is not about Durango or Ram trucks... it is about vans...
info from your manual makes things confusing... at least for me.
You introduced PCI bus in your last post... I show no mention of PCI anywhere.

my '01 Dodge van FSM manual does not show a PCI bus, only SCI and CCD linked to the PCM see attached piece of PCM C3 connector

I understand CCD (sometimes referred to as Csquared D) was phased out and the SCI bus was used by the DRBIII scanner for diagnostics, but I think different lines were phased out at different times??? Durango may have been sooner rather than later. I just read over more of my FSM I have and everywhere it refers to CCD bus for engine communications and SCI for DRBIII scan tool communications.

According to my '99 Durango wiring diagrams, both the DLC and PCM use CCD and SCI
That is also true of the van... the Dodge mechanic in FL hooked to the DLC with his DRBIII scanner, which he described to me as a "souped up OBDII tool" when I questioned him about it.

Right now I am going on the assumption (and it is ONLY an assumption) that CCD bus controls engine functions on the '01 vans and SCI only gives more connection readouts to the DRBIII scan tool and increased functionality for programming and such of BCM (Control Timer). again see attached JTEC diagram

funair02 posted a good link yesterday in another thread that was interesting and informative...
Maybe this read will help???
look at pg 2
http://www.autonerdz.com/yabbfiles/A.../ccdandpci.PDF
IF NOTHING ELSE happens, my brain is being exercised!!!

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-a-391.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-a-396.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by personrlr
I remove the instrument cluster from his location, remove the protection board in the back of the cluster, in the circuit board I can see a 5 volts regulator, and couple of resistors of low impedance 15 ohm, 20 ohm and 240 ohm. which means the 5 v came from the instruments cluster in my case and the termination for the bus to with the resistors found in the board,

RSDATA: my post here about PCM C3 BUSS pinout was a response to this
question. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: '01 What is this relay?