Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'01 What is this relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by personrlr
Sorry, my first message was out of time and is just on top of this one.
Let see, I m following you guys for a little because I do have the same problem in my 2002 Dodge Ram Van 2.5 liters 318 engine, all are questions and no many answers, maybe one more in the conversation clear a little the concept.
Do we know how the communication is established between the PCM and the cluster? evidently have to be by cables. are these the #27 and #29 in connector C3 on the PCM.
RSDATA: Also my post about CCD vs PCI was in response to posts by PERSONRLR concerning his 2002 RAM VAN.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-07-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:05 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Friar...
thats the problem when a thread gets hi-jacked...

No offense meant to you...

I have to read and re-read this FSM for any of it to sink in... so any discussion is helpful that makes me think about what is going on. Before you chimed in I was unaware of the SCI bus and it's reason for being there... now i know.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Originally Posted by blackvan
The instrument cluster is not required, the vehicle should start/drive/stop without issue with the panel completely unplugged. Any voltage regulator found on the instrument cluster exists only to power a microcontroller chip, gauges, and ODBC connector. Go back to troubleshooting PCM and BCM connections. Start by verifying all ground wires. There are at least six wiring harness connections to ground that will prevent the vehicle from running if they arent making solid connection to battery negative.
BLACKVAN: The (ODBC?) DLC connector is powered by the I.O.D. fuse. In GEN 2, the SCI BUSS is powered by the PCM. RSDATA already proved that the van will run without the cluster.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-07-2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Delete reference to CCD BUSS
Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 PM
rsdata
Captain

Friar...

In GEN 2, the CCD BUSS gets its 5 volt reference from the cluster, and the SCI BUSS is powered by the PCM.
I believe the 5V power regulator from the cluster goes to C1 pin5 labeled Transmission Range Sensor Supply... again reminding everyone this is '01 van FSM pinout not '02. see connector pinout image and 8W-40-04 which shows wiring from pin5 to Trans Range Sensor

The 06.jpg seems to show that CCD bus power comes from BCD (body control module, or Central Timer as it is sometimes called) mounted near dog house under radio, but this is the only diagram that shows this relationship of the BCD and power to the CCD bus. I cannot verify this any other way.

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-a-8w-80-39-inst-cluster.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-06.jpg   '01 What is this relay?-8w-40-04.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Yeah, I'm going around In circles. Forget anything I said about CCD in GEN 3, starting with 2002.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Originally Posted by rsdata
I found this information today... for a 1999 Dodge Durango

read the whole exchange here...

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/12ok...n-problem.html

QUESTION

From what I read here the SCI bus communicates with the Dodge DRB3 scan tool, BUT which bus does the PCM communicate on, the SCI or the CCD bus for engine control?

BTW, you brought up the Durango with your post about the link to JustAnswers.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Originally Posted by rsdata
Friar...

I believe the 5V power regulator from the cluster goes to C1 pin5 labeled Transmission Range Sensor Supply... again reminding everyone this is '01 van FSM pinout not '02. see connector pinout image and 8W-40-04 which shows wiring from pin5 to Trans Range Sensor

The 06.jpg seems to show that CCD bus power comes from BCD (body control module, or Central Timer as it is sometimes called) mounted near dog house under radio, but this is the only diagram that shows this relationship of the BCD and power to the CCD bus. I cannot verify this any other way.
The 5 volts reference and the bias and termination resistors are all internal to the CCD circuitry in the cluster. There is no external 5 volts from anywhere that is connected to the CCD Buss. It is a part of the circuit inside the cluster. Prove or disprove it by unplugging the cluster and see if you have ~2.5 volts on either pin 3 or 11 of the buss at the DLC connector.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:29 AM
personrlr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tested in the 2002 Van

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
The 5 volts reference and the bias and termination resistors are all internal to the CCD circuitry in the cluster. There is no external 5 volts from anywhere that is connected to the CCD Buss. It is a part of the circuit inside the cluster. Prove or disprove it by unplugging the cluster and see if you have ~2.5 volts on either pin 3 or 11 of the buss at the DLC connector.
I do test the instruments cluster days a go, unplugging the cluster cancel the 2.29 Vols in pin #3 and pin #11 ta the DLC, and at the pin #27 and pin #29 on the C#3 at the PCM, color code 3 - 29 Purple/Brown - 11 - 27 White/Black.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

Thank you.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 AM
rsdata
Captain

I do not see a connection to PCI buss to inst cluster... at least on the '01 FSM

Attached Thumbnails '01 What is this relay?-cluster-pinout.jpg  

Last edited by rsdata; 07-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: '01 What is this relay?