Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New PCM recomendation/advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM
haydeezy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PCM recomendation/advice

I might need a new PCM for my 1994 B350 5.9L V8. There is a CARDONE reman down the street at my local parts store for $220. Also I could order a used PCM (exact part# as OEM) for $90. What are your guys thoughts on CARDONE, using a remanufactured PCM that may have a 1 year warranty, and using a used PCM out of a pick-n-pull that is only under warranty for 30 days?? Any thoughts or experiences with this are much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,207 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Basically, if it works when you install it, it should continue to work for some time. Go with the cheap unit, see what happens.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM
tjkoko
Professional

FWIW the original Mopar p/n should be imprinted somewhere on the original unit that came with your vehicle. Compare that p/n with what's available. Have you checked what's offered at RockAuto.com?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM
haydeezy
Amateur

Originally Posted by tjkoko
FWIW the original Mopar p/n should be imprinted somewhere on the original unit that came with your vehicle. Compare that p/n with what's available. Have you checked what's offered at RockAuto.com?
Rock Auto only has the A1 Cardone reman for $205. Another online dealer has a used on they say is tested and in good working condition for $90 off of a salvage vehicle from an accident. Im hearing that the Cardone remans are no good and to hope I get a good one if I order from them...

Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haydeezy
I might need a new PCM for my 1994 B350 5.9L V8. There is a CARDONE reman down the street at my local parts store for $220. Also I could order a used PCM (exact part# as OEM) for $90. What are your guys thoughts on CARDONE, using a remanufactured PCM that may have a 1 year warranty, and using a used PCM out of a pick-n-pull that is only under warranty for 30 days?? Any thoughts or experiences with this are much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
Were it me I'd choose one or the other to see if it resolves the problem, no disrespect but seems a no brainer to me after all you've sought advice on and tried... The parts place has the better warranty. If it don't work you exchange it until you get one that works if that really is the issue.
The other is cheaper but used, so how old is it? How did they test it to be sure it is working correct? You can try and return it but is there another to replace it? If no, then you get your money back and have to choose parts place or online or wherever anyway... if time is not an issue then have at it.
If it does work and solve the issue, keep it and pay for/exchange your Cardone for one that works and run the Cardone one. Keep the working OEM one for a backup, or vise versa, then you've got a spare.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by haydeezy
What are your guys thoughts on CARDONE
Isn't the failing one in there now a Cardone remanufactured one?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM
haydeezy
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
Isn't the failing one in there now a Cardone remanufactured one?
Yes, I think so but I did not put it in. I have no idea where it came from. Also, it is the wrong part number. I got part #79-7174 off of it and this number only comes up on Cardone site but there is no Cardone label on the PCM. I've driven about 1000 miles total using this wrong part PCM and started to have problems after 300 miles. Previous owner says he knows nothing of changing pcm.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM
haydeezy
Amateur

Originally Posted by JFloors
Were it me I'd choose one or the other to see if it resolves the problem, no disrespect but seems a no brainer to me after all you've sought advice on and tried... The parts place has the better warranty. If it don't work you exchange it until you get one that works if that really is the issue.
The other is cheaper but used, so how old is it? How did they test it to be sure it is working correct? You can try and return it but is there another to replace it? If no, then you get your money back and have to choose parts place or online or wherever anyway... if time is not an issue then have at it.
If it does work and solve the issue, keep it and pay for/exchange your Cardone for one that works and run the Cardone one. Keep the working OEM one for a backup, or vise versa, then you've got a spare.
Thank you JFloors for the advice. Im gonna grab the correct cardone reman tonight and see if it takes care of the issues.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy for me to sit here and spend your money huh? lol To their credit, the real good advice has come from guys other than me in your recent threads, but i have been following and hope for the good news that the van is running well for you

Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM
haydeezy
Amateur

Originally Posted by JFloors
easy for me to sit here and spend your money huh? lol To their credit, the real good advice has come from guys other than me in your recent threads, but i have been following and hope for the good news that the van is running well for you
Haha yeah... you helped me pull the trigger on getting the cardone. Man I am def no mechanic but Im trying my best to learn and save some money so I can put it back into my van.

UPDATE: So I put in the A1 CARDONE PCM #79-8267 this morning. I ran the van up and down my parking garage for about 10 mins with no problems. I was nervous but I ran it down the street and back maybe 6 times (total 2 miles) and it seems like it is running normal. The key dance still gives code 37 but that is another issue in itself I guess. Everything seems good at the moment. Once it stops raining I'm going to take her out on the highway and run at least 10 miles and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks again for everyone's help!