Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Shifter Linkage Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Widebody
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Linkage Adjustment

My shifter seems to not line up in park sometimes. It happens quite frequently and to fix it, I need to shift hard down to 1st and then when I move it back to park, the indicator lines up. Anyone know how to make the adjustment on the cable?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 PM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. Widebody, you might want to try this. This adjustment for the tv cable was posted on 2nd generation Ram trucks. I don't know if it's applicable for our vans.

1) Put it in park by selector
2) Carefully release the plastic locking clip--once free of dirt and grime it has a spring that pushes it apart to take slack out of the cable
Be Careful because that clip tends to become brittle with age and if it breaks you will need a whole new cable.
3) Pop the end of the shift linkage cable free of the ball joint type post it locks onto
4) Manually check that it is fully engaged into park
5) Slowly compress the adjuster body until the ball joint cup is in alignment with it's post.
6) Start the vehicle, put it in Park, release the parking brake listening for the distinct pop of the Park Rod/Pawl full engagement.
7) Proceed with caution and run through each selection with engine running and monitor for a premature or delayed engagement of the indicated selection.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 AM
Widebody
Rookie

Originally Posted by ramvan61
. Widebody, you might want to try this. This adjustment for the tv cable was posted on 2nd generation Ram trucks. I don't know if it's applicable for our vans.

1) Put it in park by selector
2) Carefully release the plastic locking clip--once free of dirt and grime it has a spring that pushes it apart to take slack out of the cable
Be Careful because that clip tends to become brittle with age and if it breaks you will need a whole new cable.
3) Pop the end of the shift linkage cable free of the ball joint type post it locks onto
4) Manually check that it is fully engaged into park
5) Slowly compress the adjuster body until the ball joint cup is in alignment with it's post.
6) Start the vehicle, put it in Park, release the parking brake listening for the distinct pop of the Park Rod/Pawl full engagement.
7) Proceed with caution and run through each selection with engine running and monitor for a premature or delayed engagement of the indicated selection.
Thanks. Seems to be a little confusing. I'll check out to see if I can make sense of it by peaking under.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:37 AM
ramvan61
Rookie

I found it under title "gear selector off" in the 2nd generation Ram truck section. I don''t know if the info is reliable. I've seen videos on the adjusting the cable but I not sure if that will correct your problem with selector alignment. Maybe one of the 2nd generation guy will chime in and give us a little direction. My PRND21 alignment is slightly off also. I'm presently doing another project changing the radiator, fan clutch and water pump. I also downloaded a 2001 Ram truck service manual just to see if I could locate the procedure and could not find it. We old van owners are the Rodney Dangerfield of Dodge trucks " We just don't get any respect."

The following users liked this post:
Rcngmec (06-05-2022)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Widebody
Rookie

I found it under title "gear selector off" in the 2nd generation Ram truck section. I don''t know if the info is reliable. I've seen videos on the adjusting the cable but I not sure if that will correct your problem with selector alignment. Maybe one of the 2nd generation guy will chime in and give us a little direction. My PRND21 alignment is slightly off also. I'm presently doing another project changing the radiator, fan clutch and water pump. I also downloaded a 2001 Ram truck service manual just to see if I could locate the procedure and could not find it. We old van owners are the Rodney Dangerfield of Dodge trucks " We just don't get any respect."
Thanks Ramvan. Definitely no respect lol. I replaced the water pump, t stat, radiator, and changed the clutch fan to an electric fan last year if you need any info, let me know. My water pump was in perfect condition so that the only one I wished I didn't do. I read some forum info that the plastic impellers can break, ect. My water pump was the original oem mopar pump, and my replacement was a gates from rock auto. The oem looked better quality and the impellers were metal and not plastic.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM
ramvan61
Rookie

How is the electric fan working for you? What benefits did you gain from it and how difficult was the procedure? Blackvan a former member had detailed post on his change from the fan clutch but most of his posts have been deleted.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Widebody
Rookie

How is the electric fan working for you? What benefits did you gain from it and how difficult was the procedure? Blackvan a former member had detailed post on his change from the fan clutch but most of his posts have been deleted.
Cooling overall is about the same at highway and grade. The AC of course works much. Around city the cooling is much better but still gets warm on steep mountain incline. I upgraded the radiator to a Liland 2 core all aluminum radiator. Doesn't seem to be any better than the oem radiator. I would suggest the 3 core if you live in hot temps.

I read some of the old posts from Blackvan and some others. The fans all seemed to small for me living in Las Vegas. I went with the flexalite twin fans with the shroud integrated with fans. They were really expensive and are loud. They are rated at 4600 cfm. In the summer I need every bit of it on grade and could use a better fan if they make one that fits. I might upgrade to a 3 core radiator next summer. To me the price didn't seem to be worth it for the flexalite fan. That alone was over $400. I changed the OEM fan because I was getting symptoms of overheating, but now looking back I think the clutch fan was the only part that was bad.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

If you have trouble getting the trans into the gear you want, that's going to be a linkage issue. Don't know if dodge used a cable, or actual linkage on the vans... If it's an actual linkage, I would look at the bushings. They are notorious for getting hard and brittle, and falling apart.

Quick Reply: Shifter Linkage Adjustment