Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019 | 08:25 AM
Eunospeed
|
Professional
Default Backup Camera

Hey folks, planning on adding a backup camera over the holidays and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I did a search and found only one thread concerning them. I really like the ones that are integrated in the rear view mirrors. Thoughts?

Old 12-16-2019 | 08:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Personally I have no use for them. My wifes car has one, I never use it. I've spent all my life backing up using mirrors.

Old 12-16-2019 | 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would think it had better be a high-resolution camera, otherwise, the picture will be essentially useless being that small.....

Don't think I have seen them in the mirror before. Interesting idea.

Old 12-16-2019 | 11:30 AM
Eunospeed
|
Professional

Yeah, there are tradeoffs when it's in the mirror. I still think I'd rather go down this path than a separate screen on the dash that is only used for backing up.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019 | 08:07 PM
ElkCon
Veteran

I am considering putting one in when I replace my radio.
The hardest part is running the wire from the rear to the front.
I think there are some wireless ones, but I haven't looked into them. The mirror thing is cool.. I rented a, I think, Nissan that was the same way. Im going to use the head unit since I will get one of the 7in LCD head units.

Old 12-17-2019 | 08:28 AM
Eunospeed
|
Professional

I like the head unit backup camera solution as well. Just not sure I'm going to replace mine any time soon. I've read the wireless versions are not super reliable so I don't think I'll be going down that path.

Old 12-24-2019 | 07:49 AM
Excoastie

I have used the mirror monitors in the past. Simply put, they're not that great. The resolution is low enough to leave you guessing about what you're seeing.
I went with a separate monitor on the one I put on my '99 Conversion.

I would also stay away from wireless. I have read numerous reviews, and threads from various vehicle forums are ripe with folks who were struggling to make the wireless work well.
Yes, running the wires and cables can be a serious PITA, and it will take some creativity to get them properly hidden. It is worth it though.

I went with this one using a separate monitor, and it works well. I mounted the camera on the third brake light, so it has almost a "bird's eye view."

Good luck,

Exco

Old 12-24-2019 | 09:35 AM
Eunospeed
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Excoastie
I have used the mirror monitors in the past. Simply put, they're not that great. The resolution is low enough to leave you guessing about what you're seeing.
I went with a separate monitor on the one I put on my '99 Conversion.

I would also stay away from wireless. I have read numerous reviews, and threads from various vehicle forums are ripe with folks who were struggling to make the wireless work well.
Yes, running the wires and cables can be a serious PITA, and it will take some creativity to get them properly hidden. It is worth it though.

I went with this one using a separate monitor, and it works well. I mounted the camera on the third brake light, so it has almost a "bird's eye view."

Good luck,

Exco
I was thinking mounting the camera on the 3rd brake light would be a good idea. Any chance you can take a pic and post?

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2019 | 10:04 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Eunospeed
Hey folks, planning on adding a backup camera over the holidays and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I did a search and found only one thread concerning them. I really like the ones that are integrated in the rear view mirrors. Thoughts?

Back up cameras are one of the few nanny systems I have any use for. Decades of running heavy equipment and I have neck problems. The GF's car has one and we went to dinner and since it was getting dark, she preferred that I drive. There was a great parking spot in front of a bar we went to and several cars passed it up. I pulled up, and parallel parked and the camera made it a breeze. A lady sitting in front waiting for her husband marveled that I just pulled right in. Well, when I learned to drive, long before the turn of the Century, you had to know that to get a license.

I've got a Mazda CX-5 with the back up camera and I still turn my head but it makes backing up really easy. It's mounted as part of the audio system. I had a Class B motorhome for a while and I added one to it. It came on with the backup lights. The biggest problem there was the monitor worked on a cigarette plug and I would forget to unplug it. I finally wired it to a relay that came on with the back up lights and added a toggle to turn them on manually. It made hooking atrailer up easy as well as letting me look in my blind spot going down the road.

I've seen the mirror mounted cameras but they just seem to be really little. Then again, I'm old and only have one good eye.

Old 12-24-2019 | 04:19 PM
Eunospeed
|
Professional

I'm old too so I'll have to keep all this in mind.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera