Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'98 Dodge Ram Passenger Van: Sliding Door Frozen Shut

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020 | 12:20 PM
LittleRadio
|
Default '98 Dodge Ram Passenger Van: Sliding Door Frozen Shut

I took my sliding door off my van to have it refinished and painted. I put it back on and adjusted the bolts to make sure it sits properly flush with the sheetmetal. I opened and closed it multiple times to check functionality -- slides nice. Latches nice. Power door lock works fine. Open. Close. Open. Close. Great. Mission accomplished.

Then suddenly, it froze shut. Handles crank, but won't open door. Door lock plunger is frozen in place. Can't pull it up. Took off metal access plate surrounding the inside handle to pull on the metal rod to unlock it, and it won't budge. Even with pliers. WTH?

If the power door lock motor fails, does it freeze in place? And what are the odds it failed at this particular time? --I wasn't messing with electrical.

There's absolutely nothing on the internet describing a similar problem/solution. So I'm turning to my Dajiban friends to help me sort this out.

I gotta get this door fixed as I'm driving it half-way across the country in the next week. I'll PayPal $20 the first Dodge Forum member who solves this issue!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2020 | 12:33 PM
nibroc
Captain

I could use the 20 bill but don't know

Old 09-11-2020 | 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you can, pull off the interior door panel off, and see if you can see anything obvious.....

The following users liked this post:
JFloors (09-16-2020)
Old 09-11-2020 | 02:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by LittleRadio
I took my sliding door off my van to have it refinished and painted. I put it back on and adjusted the bolts to make sure it sits properly flush with the sheetmetal. I opened and closed it multiple times to check functionality -- slides nice. Latches nice. Power door lock works fine. Open. Close. Open. Close. Great. Mission accomplished.

Then suddenly, it froze shut. Handles crank, but won't open door. Door lock plunger is frozen in place. Can't pull it up. Took off metal access plate surrounding the inside handle to pull on the metal rod to unlock it, and it won't budge. Even with pliers. WTH?

If the power door lock motor fails, does it freeze in place? And what are the odds it failed at this particular time? --I wasn't messing with electrical.

There's absolutely nothing on the internet describing a similar problem/solution. So I'm turning to my Dajiban friends to help me sort this out.

I gotta get this door fixed as I'm driving it half-way across the country in the next week. I'll PayPal $20 the first Dodge Forum member who solves this issue!

Thanks in advance.

Did you reuse the plastic clips that hold the rods in place? I dealt with a similar problem back in the early 80's. A clip had come off and jammed a rod on the lock. The newer clips are plastic nit metal but I'm sure the mechanisms works similarly. Look for a rod at the lock mechanism that isn't in place. It may be jammed in the latch. So either it is just in a bind or the latch has a rod stuck in it.

Old 09-12-2020 | 09:07 AM
LittleRadio
|

Thanks for the ideas thus far. I didn't take anything apart or off the door itself except for the inner padded panel, metal panel surround for the inside handle and the door handles themselves. All inside bits and pieces remained untouched and undamaged.

I'm going to try and find some time this afternoon to touch and tug on the rods and parts hoping that it's just a fluke and that a rod jumped its clip or similar.

$20 offer still stands!

Old 09-12-2020 | 01:52 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Had to replace my front latch assembly a few years ago,That slider door got a lot of use and abuse early on
If I recall it right there was a broken metal tab that while pulling the handle turned and released the front latch. I had put off buying that latch for quite a while because $150. seemed too much at the time.
Mine being a 99 3500 cargo access is easy, pull a couple panels reveals enough to work on it. For a long time had to open from inside pulling on the handle while lifting one of the long connecting rods to the rear latch which would open the door. Obviously ,eventually paid the price and ordered the latch, much nicer having a door that works properly

I think I mighta posted a thread back when I first joined this site on that, will have to look n see

Old 09-13-2020 | 07:48 AM
LittleRadio
|

Hey Ol' Grouch, I started pulling and pushing on the vertical rod that goes from the electric door lock motor to the latch mechanism above it, and it seemed to "pop" back into place. Problem solved! PM me your PayPal name and I'll shoot you a Jackson. Thanks everyone.

JFloors (09-16-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 07:28 PM
nibroc
Captain

I like old DODGE VAN posts like this,,,,,,

JFloors (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020 | 07:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Hey Ol' Grouch, I started pulling and pushing on the vertical rod that goes from the electric door lock motor to the latch mechanism above it, and it seemed to "pop" back into place. Problem solved! PM me your PayPal name and I'll shoot you a Jackson. Thanks everyone.

No need. I enjoy helping others get problems solved. It's payback for when I was young and others helped me. I learned from guys who became mechanics in the Army during WW1 and WW2. (Yes, I'm an olde pharte)

JFloors (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020 | 09:28 PM
JFloors
Veteran

just adding this for future reference, funny how this thread came up then my slider lock quit working too!
Napa sells an assortment pack of "door lock rod clips" that worked in my case, package reads for chevy n ford but same for my dodge also. The clip was gone, probably broke being plastic and dropped down to the bottom in the door somewhere.
The clip itself inserts into the hole provided on the locking arm mechanism, the rod gets inserted into that then swings over and clips to the rod itself to hold in place whether vertical horizontal what have you.
also glad for you guys and this thread, made it easy for me too thanks

Quick Reply: '98 Dodge Ram Passenger Van: Sliding Door Frozen Shut