Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1990 B150 restoration project thingy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 10:05 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990B150318
I might can remove the fan, the problem however is that the fan bolts through a pulley to the water pump. So if I remove the bolts, the pulley will be removed and I'll have to reset the belts for ps pump and air pump. Almost would seem easier to disconnect the radiator hoses and catch the coolant in a drain pan.
Small price to pay to make it right and safe. Think of those that have rebuilt then installed their engine only to realize they didn't install the head gasket.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Small price to pay to make it right and safe. Think of those that have rebuilt then installed their engine only to realize they didn't install the head gasket.

I've never forgotten head gaskets, yet, but I did try to trouble shoot a 400 engine that wouldn't start. The manifold had been bolted down with block off panel in place of the sheet metal intake gasket. Gee, why won't it pull ANY vacuum? When I pulled the intake, the guy thought it was supposed to be there. I explained that yes, it's supposed to be there to keep junk out of the engine. It needs to be replaced by a gasket to run.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:43 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you're nimble enough, make two studs from all thread rod and replace two bolts across from each other on the fan. These will hold he pulley in place and keep the holes lined up.
This is really smart and would obviously work. I'd have to locate a couple of similar sized bolts and cut the heads off I don't have any other of that type of material around.

So the shroud is a two piece. Having said that, I think it is two pieces because it has to be to get it in. Furthermore, the top piece must enter from the top, the bottom piece from the bottom.
I have not noticed any temp increase. However, I don't idle a lot, and it's cooler now. But so far, it works perfect.

I'll mess with it again if I ever go to sell it or things change.

I can't imagine forgetting a head gasket OMG.
Anyway, I don't get to do anything that cool, and would only want to on something I'm not currently driving :P

Old 12-05-2021, 09:54 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990B150318
This is really smart and would obviously work. I'd have to locate a couple of similar sized bolts and cut the heads off I don't have any other of that type of material around.

So the shroud is a two piece. Having said that, I think it is two pieces because it has to be to get it in. Furthermore, the top piece must enter from the top, the bottom piece from the bottom.
I have not noticed any temp increase. However, I don't idle a lot, and it's cooler now. But so far, it works perfect.

I'll mess with it again if I ever go to sell it or things change.

I can't imagine forgetting a head gasket OMG.
Anyway, I don't get to do anything that cool, and would only want to on something I'm not currently driving :P

All thread rod is available at most hardware stores. I know Lowe's, Home Depot and Rural King all have it in various lengths. If the shroud is two pieces (some are, some aren't) install the bottom first, then put the fan and pulley on the water pump then put the top on.

Be sure to bevel the all thread after you cut it so you can put a nut on it. You double nut the end to thread it in. (Bolt them together tight) Then separate the nuts and remove them after you use a wrench to bolt the rod in.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:01 PM
1990B150318
Professional

Hey folks, I wanted to revisit doing the oil pump, rear main job here that I had an issue with before.

In the meantime, I've learned that I can replace the crankshaft bearings while I have the oil pan off. Should I do that? What would be the benefit of doing so?

When I look at the parts, there are different options. I can go with "standard sized", ".01 undersized" and ".02 undersized". Which do I need?

Will I be able to do all bearings or just some? Will I need 12 point sockets?

Also...

in doing this I'm going to cut away the exhaust cross member and repair/reattach it. I'll be using some clamps like this. I believe this approach will save LOTS of time and headache associated with detaching what would end up being most of the exhaust system.

If you have recommendations on exhaust pipe repair/replacement, would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 1990B150318; 12-19-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:54 PM
1990B150318
Professional

Painted the grille. I think it's better this way.

Quick Reply: 1990 B150 restoration project thingy