Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Is the spark plug enclosure adjustable???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 07:13 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the spark plug enclosure adjustable???

My first time to change spark plugs on my '02 Ram 1500 Van Conversion 5.9 made in Canada, and I ran into a problem.
My 5/8 deep well socket will not settle all the way down into the spark plug enclosure although it fits into all of the rest of the enclosures. (I don't know the proper word for the 'tube' where the spark plugs live).
For all I know, it could just be an oversize plug that someone put in there. I have found 2 different size plugs from NGK and Champion already.
It could also be a dreaded 'cross threaded' spark plug living in the #4 cylinder and not allowing the socket to seat into the 'tube', 'enclosure'.

I guess that I am asking and hoping that there is a way to adjust the diameter of the spark plug enclosures and if that is possible, how is it done?
If the plug is cross threaded, how do I go about removing it and then repairing the threads?

Old 03-21-2022, 09:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Likely just dirt and other crap around the plug, that won't let the socket seat completely. The tubes that the plugs live in are more hassle than they are worth. Just remove them, and toss 'em in the scrap pile. They just pull out, but, not always easily.

The following users liked this post:
Akwingnut (11-11-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 09:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

They are totally useless so I took mine out by hitting them sideways and it was the best thing I ever did! Some of the sparkplugs broke so I was sure to vacuum around the broken spark plugs before I replaced them to avoid any debris falling into the cylinders.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:42 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
They are totally useless so I took mine out by hitting them sideways and it was the best thing I ever did! Some of the sparkplugs broke so I was sure to vacuum around the broken spark plugs before I replaced them to avoid any debris falling into the cylinders.

Thanks for the responses to my question.
I used a dental pick to dislodge the dirt and dreck that was inside the tube and blew it out with compressed air so, that is not the reason for the socket not seating all the way down into the tube.
With the limited space inside the engine compartment combined with my limited vision and my limited 75 year old body that does not like the obtuse positions required to deliver the forces needed to attempt removing the spark plug tubes, I will first try a thin wall socket and a soak of penetrating oil.
If my plan to remove that f#$#@#$* plug fails, I will give knocking the tube out a try, now that I know that it can be done.
Wish me luck and thanks again. I appreciate what you do by sharing your knowledge and experience.
Have a cup of coffee on me. \_/?

Akwingnut (11-11-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The thin-wall socket is likely going to be the winner.

Akwingnut (11-11-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 06:25 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The thin-wall socket is likely going to be the winner.

Here's hoping that the Amazon truck delivers that winner to me tomorrow.
I will keep you posted.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:34 AM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mostly Blind
Here's hoping that the Amazon truck delivers that winner to me tomorrow.
I will keep you posted.

Supposing the thin wall deep socket doesn't do the trick, and knocking out the tubes is the only viable option...are the tubes welded to the block....are the set into grooves...are they threaded in or what?

Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just kinda sorta pressed in. If you grab 'em with vice grips, and wiggle/bend/spindle/mutilate, they will come out.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Mostly Blind
Supposing the thin wall deep socket doesn't do the trick, and knocking out the tubes is the only viable option...are the tubes welded to the block....are the set into grooves...are they threaded in or what?

They are sort of pressed in by the plugs. I've always tossed them. At least you have a removable engine cover to make access easier. Leaning over the fender on a truck is a lot more trouble. To be honest, I haven't seen the plug tubes in years. It was a left over from the 50's and the Red Ram Hemi with the porcelain tubes on the plugs.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:01 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Why are some of my replies not posted? They are showing that they are automatically being saved but are not being posted?

Have I violated some web site rule?

Quick Reply: Is the spark plug enclosure adjustable???