Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

New Truck Major Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck Major Problems

Ok first off I am new here and I love the site (good job fellas) .Im not sure where to begin. I purchased a new ram 1500 QC on Feb 3rd 07. The truck had 27 miles on it when I got it. A couple of weeks ago I noticed this noise that sounded like a miss a sputter, it almost sounds like a 6 cyl with exhaust. Picture you pulling up to a red light in a stick shift and instead of taking off in 1st you take off in 3rd or 4th, you get that luggish feeling. Well this truck is an automatic and it acts up as soon as you let off the accelerator. It doesnt sputter when taking off but after your going down the road, it doesnt matter what speed. So I take it to a local dealer and they say its not showing up on the computer, I was also having a loud popping sound when shifting from park to reverse (like when you park on a hill and then try to take out of gear) but this happens all the time even on level ground. So I was told that my transmission needs to be tore apart and even then that only fixes the hard shifting noise making problem and not the sputtering. I have contacted customer service and they have explained to me that I will have to pay for the rental car upfront but would be reimbursed. My problem is, my truck is 19 days old and theres only 900 miles on it. I am not comfortable with having a new transmission put in my new truck, hell I could have done that one with my old truck and saved 25000. My experience with dodge so far has not been a good one. I have always owned chevrolets and the first dodge I buy does this. I have heard about the buy back program but thats just if you decide you dont want the truck. I want the truck just not with tons of new parts having to be added to it. I didnt ask for the truck to start falling apart. From what I gathered this is a freakish thing that has happened because everywhere I have takin it to has no clue on what to do about it. The new truck factor has comepletly wore off and I feel like have been driving this truck for 10 years and I am waiting for the next thing to fall apart. I do not feel comfortable driving this truck at all. Hopefully someone on here can shed some rays of light on my situation because everytime I get in this truck I get pissed off. By the way the truck is 2wd and has the 5.7

Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 PM
ryjack
Default RE: New Truck Major Problems

Does this truck have MDS? That might be the sputtering that your hearing, when the computer shuts off four of the eight cylinders. You said it only does it when you lift, when you re-apply throttle is it still slugish, or does that make all the symptoms go away?

I don't have an answer for the trans, maybe try setting the parking brake before you put it into park, see if that makes a difference. If not, I don't know...sorry.

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2007, 07:25 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran

Yes it has MDS. but it should not shut the cylinders off as soon as I lift, it does it in the middle of traffic going 20mph or down the highway at 60, it doesnt matter what speeds

Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

What exactly did they say was wrong with the transmission? I'm willing to bet the problem you are having with the engine are directly related to the transmission, IMO take it to a different dealer and get a second or third opinion.

Why would they have to tear down a new transmission? I doubt the entire thing needs rebuilt unless they messed up pretty bad at the factory and forgot some parts or something...a dealer should be able to get this in and out fairly quickly anyway.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter
The new truck factor has comepletly wore off and I feel like have been driving this truck for 10 years and I am waiting for the next thing to fall apart. I do not feel comfortable driving this truck at all. Hopefully someone on here can shed some rays of light on my situation because everytime I get in this truck I get pissed off.
I love my Dodge truck, but if it pisses you off, you should get rid of it and go back to what you like. No skin off my nose or anyone here. Only remeber, your next Chevy may have a problem out of the factory also and where do you go from there...Ford!!?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 AM
sharpshooter
Veteran

ORIGINAL: kurts2

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter
The new truck factor has comepletly wore off and I feel like have been driving this truck for 10 years and I am waiting for the next thing to fall apart. I do not feel comfortable driving this truck at all. Hopefully someone on here can shed some rays of light on my situation because everytime I get in this truck I get pissed off.
I love my Dodge truck, but if it pisses you off, you should get rid of it and go back to what you like. No skin off my nose or anyone here. Only remeber, your next Chevy may have a problem out of the factory also and where do you go from there...Ford!!?

Thats great for you, I however am not happy with my truck, if i wanted my truck getting worked on I wouldnt have bought a new one....

Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
traderjk

If I was you and I had all those problems with a brand new truck, I would have taken it back to the dealer and demanded they switch it for one that works right.
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 and I have had no problems with it at all .

Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I guess traderjk said it better then I did. Plain and simple, if you are not happy with it, return it. I would also say, try again...normally they are great trucks.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

Yeah, well you can't just return a vehicle because you aren't happy with it. I think Saturn is/was the only company with a 30 dayno questions asked money back policy.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
sharpshooter
Veteran

After its all said and done now they are telling me its the MDS system and its supposed to do that. Hence the reason I didnt hear it when I bought it because it was quite. Now that I have put an exhaust system on it, it amplifies the sound. So anybody thats thinking of buying a new ram with the MDS on it, you might want to reconsider putting a louder exhast on it. I am not happy with the way this system works, it very bothersome and annoying, even the shop manager agreed that it shouldnt be kicking in and out so much but he said maybe dodge would release some kind of update to fix this.. Now I have to go back to the muffler shop to quite my truck back down.

Quick Reply: New Truck Major Problems