Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hauling two motorcycles in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
kiggy74
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling two motorcycles in the bed

I have a 2005 Quad Cab/Short Bed and need to haul twomotorcycles. The bed is definitely wide enough for two bikes, but I need to find a way to tie them both down. There's a cleat on each side of the bed in the front, but I don't want to have to tie the bikes together in the middle, so I'd need to add a cleat in the middle of the front of the bed. I'm thinkingI would add one on the verticle section just behind the cab.

Do you think the metal at the front of the bed would be thick enough to support the tension created by a cleat that's strapping down two sport bikes? Has anyone ever tried this?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
dlay
Default RE: Anyone ever added cleats to the bed?

You can try these. I've seen these mounted on the floor in the bed a few times. They are good for about 400 lbs each.

http://www.penda.com/truck/fit-your-...p;mode=results

The cheapestI found them is at Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jses...equestid=42499

They fit into the stake hole on the bed rail so if you wanted to mount them in the bed or on the front of the box you would have to cut a mounting hole the size of the stake hole.(thats the bad news) The good news is that when they are not in use they are flat and you will hardly notice them. Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

I have a 2005 Quad Cab/Short Bed and need to haul twomotorcycles. The bed is definitely wide enough for two bikes, but I need to find a way to tie them both down. There's a cleat on each side of the bed in the front, but I don't want to have to tie the bikes together in the middle, so I'd need to add a cleat in the middle of the front of the bed. I'm thinkingI would add one on the verticle section just behind the cab.

Do you think the metal at the front of the bed would be thick enough to support the tension created by a cleat that's strapping down two sport bikes? Has anyone ever tried this?
This should work and be strong enough.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56817/229DB8C6400C4FFBA9965F96288247B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
CatchMyDrift05
Rookie

My bedliner has them built into the sides at all 4 corners.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yah, mine came with them.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
kiggy74
Amateur
Default Hauling two motorcycles in the bed.

Yes, the truck already has four cleats, one in each corner. But I need two cleats in the front per motorcycle so that I can strap them down by each side of the handlebars. So what I need is an attachment point in the middle.The hook in the diagram would definitely work, I'm just not too sure about leaving that thing in the bed of the truck all the time. I would make it tough to haul anything else.

I'm not new to loading bikes in the bed of a truck. It's not that difficult and saves the hassle of owning and storing a trailer (which is difficult when you live in a condo with a 1-car garage). I've just not tried to haul two at the same time. I have 2 bikes that I ride on track so I'd like to be able to haul them both and I'm sure this bed is big enough to do.

I think I actually found a device that might take care of it though. Has anyone ever hauled motorcycles using this?

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-wheel-chock.htm

Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
ryjack
Default RE: Hauling two motorcycles in the bed.

never used that product but i'd be carful or get 2 cradles, not the one w/ the anti theft contraption, that thing looks like it'ld jack up your wheels!!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Have you tried putting one in faceing out the back? I don't know what you have but I though their was alot of room between the rearwheel and fairing on sport bikes.....or are this dirt bikes?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Vegashd

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

Yes, the truck already has four cleats, one in each corner. But I need two cleats in the front per motorcycle so that I can strap them down by each side of the handlebars. So what I need is an attachment point in the middle.The hook in the diagram would definitely work, I'm just not too sure about leaving that thing in the bed of the truck all the time. I would make it tough to haul anything else.

I'm not new to loading bikes in the bed of a truck. It's not that difficult and saves the hassle of owning and storing a trailer (which is difficult when you live in a condo with a 1-car garage). I've just not tried to haul two at the same time. I have 2 bikes that I ride on track so I'd like to be able to haul them both and I'm sure this bed is big enough to do.

I think I actually found a device that might take care of it though. Has anyone ever hauled motorcycles using this?

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-wheel-chock.htm
just stretch one tie down through the front wheel of the other bike to the other side of the truck. This is how everyone does it.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 PM
kiggy74
Amateur

ORIGINAL: jmhai

Have you tried putting one in faceing out the back? I don't know what you have but I though their was alot of room between the rearwheel and fairing on sport bikes.....or are this dirt bikes?
Not a bad thought, but anyone that's tried it will tell you a horror story. The aerodynamics of the body work on these bikes is very directional, as in forward-only. When you try to move them backwards at high speeds the body work acts like a sail and rips right off.

Quick Reply: Hauling two motorcycles in the bed