Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

93 stealth rt sputtering ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
nicks91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 stealth rt sputtering ???

i have a 1993 dodge stealth r/t na 5 speed with 115,000 miles on it. i bought it about 4 months ago and recently have changed the belts and oil. my issue is that the car sputters and jerks randomly "mostly at low rpm and in 1st-3rd gear" it tends to do it less once its warmed up and has been running for a while but still does it occasionally. i just got back from driving the car, i started it and droke about a 1/2 mile and sfter shifting from 1st to 2nd when i pushed the gas peddle down there was nothing....it just doesnt go or sometimes sputters. you pull over or stop, pop it into neutral and start over and its fine. theres no specific time when it happens. im thinking its a spark plug/wire or fuel problem. Any ideas would really help!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:41 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

it could be the fuel pump is going bad. The good thing about it is that you don't have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. Just remove the seat bottom for your back seat, remove the access coer and the fuel pump is right there.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM
nicks91

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
it could be the fuel pump is going bad. The good thing about it is that you don't have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. Just remove the seat bottom for your back seat, remove the access coer and the fuel pump is right there.

thanks misfitdakota95 i didnt think of that. is there a way to test it before you pull it or after you pull it so i dont waste time and money?

-love the dodge acronyms btw, ive heard very few for dodge and those are new ones for me

Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

well, you will need a special adapter/tee fitting to go inbetween the fuel rail and the fuel inlet pipe. You might be able to rent one from your local auto parts store, if you can you want your fuel pressure to be around 40 PSI. If it's less, you have a problem with the fuel pump. And the acronyms are just a few of the ones I know first hand off the top of my head. When you workoncars for a living, you hear and make up your own nicknames. My favorite is KIA= Keep It Anyway & Killed In Action

Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM
nicks91

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
well, you will need a special adapter/tee fitting to go inbetween the fuel rail and the fuel inlet pipe. You might be able to rent one from your local auto parts store, if you can you want your fuel pressure to be around 40 PSI. If it's less, you have a problem with the fuel pump. And the acronyms are just a few of the ones I know first hand off the top of my head. When you workoncars for a living, you hear and make up your own nicknames. My favorite is KIA= Keep It Anyway & Killed In Action
ill see if a friend has one or maybe the auto parts will and ill be back with how it goes, i do like the kia acronyms for sure...too funny.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

I would inspect the engine computer and suspension computer for damage. Does your sport/tour lights for the suspension blink, or does it function normally?

Also, pull a front spark plug and see what they look like.

These cars usually don't have fuel pump issues, but from 91-93 they have engine computer problems.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
nicks91

Originally Posted by Hans_GZP
I would inspect the engine computer and suspension computer for damage. Does your sport/tour lights for the suspension blink, or does it function normally?

Also, pull a front spark plug and see what they look like.

These cars usually don't have fuel pump issues, but from 91-93 they have engine computer problems.
-i just recently changed the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. my sport/tour mode button does not function properly when you push the button. my sport light is always on. How would i go about testing/checking the cpu's? i was just doing some research and am leaning toward a bad MAF sensor or bad ecu caps

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

It's most likely your ECS computer then. It is located in the hatch area... passenger side. You will remove the passenger side storage bin and that will give you access to a cover that has a single phillips screw in the bottom of it. Remove that cover and the computer will be right there. Unplug the 2 plugs and go for a drive.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM
fescue101

i was having the same problem. so if i disconnect the computer and it helps do i have to buy a new computer or can i just run it with no computer?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Girly TT
Veteran

you can just run without the ECS computer. It will just default to sport mode.

Quick Reply: 93 stealth rt sputtering ???