Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Thoughts on SRT4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 AM
motempo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on SRT4?

I basically want to find out what Stealth drivers think of the Dodge Neon SRT4? I know it's a fast and lightweight FWD car for the money, but I can't get over the fact that it's an ugly Neon. I guess it's just all opinion, but I just don't see what made SRT decide to tune a Neon. I dig the sports coupe look. I just look at the SRT4 as being in a different class though, being a 4 banger rice eater. And then there's the Stealth and 3000GT, THE Japanese/Import Muscle Car. What's everyone else's opinion?

Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thoughts on SRT4?

being a neon owner and not a stealth owner i dont like the looks of the srt4...if it was a 2 door then it would be awsome....

are you saying that SRT is like a tuning company????the point chrysler was trying to make when they developed the srt4 is that they basically wanted a sleeper car...no one expects a neon to do what the srt4 can....the guy that designed it is the same guy that designs the mercedes F1 supercars...like the clk-gtr.....

technically it isnt a neon......its an srt-4...just based on the neon

really bad *** car for around $20,000 when they were new

Old 10-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Willis_93ES
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

being a neon owner and not a stealth owner i dont like the looks of the srt4...if it was a 2 door then it would be awsome....

are you saying that SRT is like a tuning company????the point chrysler was trying to make when they developed the srt4 is that they basically wanted a sleeper car...no one expects a neon to do what the srt4 can....the guy that designed it is the same guy that designs the mercedes F1 supercars...like the clk-gtr.....

technically it isnt a neon......its an srt-4...just based on the neon

really bad *** car for around $20,000 when they were new
Sleeper my ***. lol all of the srt's are loud but thats not a bad thing at all.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
spudsterier
Legend

yeah but stock they arent that loud...and they wanted more of a sleeper look then the sound

Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

only thing i dont like about the SRT-4 is that its a 4-door and that big wing...but other than that i see it has being a sleeper...slighty or a riced out neon at which other people will think its nothing to worry about...till u hit the gas and go for it.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
motempo

Yea, SRT stands for Street and Racing Technology. Same people that designed the SRT10 Viper and SRT10 Ram, SRT8s, and so on. Back in the day they were called just R/T (Road & Track).
What I like about my Stealth though, is that it's a huge head turner. With it's looks, I always see people turn their heads too like at me driving, even with the stock exhaust, when people hear it, they also look. I'd rather ride in something that looks good, unlike the SRT4.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
EvilZombieZ
Veteran

from what I understand RT and SRT are different stages of performance, SRT being more performance then RTs.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always loved the Stealths and I still want a '93 R/T TT in black with black leather interior. I don't understand why the 3000GT VR4's are half a second quicker than the R/T TT's when they are exactly the same except slight differences in exterior appearance. The Stealth and SRT-4 are completely different cars in every way except performance. I couldn't stand the 4 doors on the SRT-4, but it eventually won me over with it's performance and it's looks, it helps hide the 4 door look when they are in black. I still wish they would have at least made the SRT-4 a 2 door and if I had the money I would make mine into a 2 door. The SRT-4 was Dodge's answer to the exploding sport compact car market that was heavily dominated by the Japanese automakers. The SRT-4 is not the first hardcore performance version of the Neon, the ACR and R/T versions completely dominated their class in SCCA to the point at which they changed the rules allowing the other cars in their class to modify to stand a fighting chance. Both ACR and R/T came in 2 and 4 door versions, but the ACR's had no power options, no sunroof and no A/C whereas the R/T had all the Neon's options available. Just because the Neon was primarily marketed as a cheap entry level economy car doesn't mean they cannot be a high performance car.

The SRT-4 is based on the Neon, but it actually isn't a Neon. This is the exact same as the original GTO which is based on the LeMans, but it isn't a LeMans. This is also the same for the Roadrunner and GTX which are based on the Satellite Sebring and the Superbee which is based on the Coronet and later on the Charger, but they are their own models. You wouldn't go to a car show and make remarks about a guy's GTO saying it's just a LeMans. All the other Neon's are just Neon's, such as the Expresso, Sport, SXT, R/T and ACR, they are simply different trim levels and option packages. They share the same exterior, interior, engine and transmission, the only differences are suspension, wheels, gearing and badging, as well as what they come with standard which can be optioned on a plain Neon. The SRT-4 is it's own model and shares very little with the Neon's. Most everything on the SRT-4 cannot be optioned on any Neon such as the suspension, wheels, engine, transmission, brakes, exhaust, seats, shifter, gauges, body kit and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. The hood and spoiler were exclusive to the SRT-4 until some DCX dumb-dumb came up with the Neon SRT Design Group Package that put the SRT-4 hood and spoiler on an SXT with a different nose that loosely resembles the SRT concept car and a dual outlet exhaust.

The SRT-4 is the quickest and fastest stock FWD production car ever built (if you know of one faster please let me know). The upcomming Mazdaspeed 3 may take that title away as it is a very powerful and fairly lightweight car boasting 263 horsepower and 280 torque, but it has yet to be tested. The SRT-4 turns quite a few heads as well and I'm always getting compliments and people wanting to know what kind of car it is, which happened again just yesterday at Ralleys. The SRT-4 also matches and bests the performance in some areas, the Stealth R/T TT which has 2 more cylinders and 1 more turbocharger and intercooler as well as AWD and AWS and twice the price. The R/T TT obviously looks better and I really want one, but most I've come across are falling apart and ragged out or they are in perfect shape and want a fortune for them.

You have the definition of SRT and R/T correct, but you have what they are wrong. The SRT's are made by a seperate division called PVO (Performance Vehicle Operations) which they later dropped the PVO name and just call it SRT now. They are basically a completely different model line of vehicles similar to the Shelbys, SVT, etc. The R/T is just a badge that was given to the top performance version of Dodge vehicles. Before that they had the Shelby name which was more like the SRT/PVO since they were completely different models done up by Shelby Inc. The R/T badge was always just an addition to the vehicles name (Coronet R/T, Charger R/T, Dakota R/T, etc.) to show that it is a high performance version of that vehicle and in some cases it was the top of the line version. AS you know there are two versions of the R/T for the Stealths, the regular R/T with the 222 horsepower N/A 3.0L and the R/T TT with the 300/320 horsepower twin turbo 3.0L.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 AM
motempo

I stand corrected. I was only looking for opinions, not lectures. One question though, why is that everywhere I've seen the name, it says Dodge Neon SRT4? It would make more sense to call it that as well since they are now coming out with the Caliber SRT4.
P.S. I'm not saying is the SRT4 is crap (even though I do think it looks like it, heh), what I am saying is that it is not for me.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
thestealth
Champion

Please respect everyone's opinions...if this turns into a flame war...I will shut it down. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on SRT4?