Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Ongoing steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM
maritimesbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing steering problems

I purchased the old 96 Stratus (2.4) in the summer (this year). I had the sway bar links replaced a few weeks later as the rubber was completely gone on them.

Now I cannot be certain, but ever since I have had problems with the steering at parking and slow speeds. I cannot remember whether I had this issue before the links were replaced or after.

Anyways, the problem is shuddering in the steering both left and right, sometimes with a squeal. The belt is slipping, that is quite obvious.

I replaced the steering belt in August and the steering was working just fine for about two months, then slowly the shuddering started returning, then the squealing. I left it like this for about another month, then decided to try another new belt (different brand), but also fully clean the pulleys with scotch pad/brake cleaner to remove any crap/glaze on them.

Well this second belt lasted about a month and now the shuddering has returned with some squealing. Yet again the belt has started slipping. I know the belt was tightened enough, but these belts are a real pita to keep changing all the time.

I have tried changing the fluid for some new stuff, using a baster doing the replace and bleed method over the course of a week.

I am pretty sure the colder weather is making this shudder/squeal return quicker than normal. Whether it`s because the belt is stiff or the pump is getting old and weak, or could it be something more sinister like a rack problem?

Now I am thinking of all kinds of problems, even whether this could be related to when the sway bar links were replaced - could this be causing the problem? I cannot remember whether I had this problem before they were replaced or not.

It`s not worth putting on a third belt, I know it won`t last more than a few weeks. Starting to pull my hair out over this

Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i once got a belt for a neon where the "V" on the belt did not match the "V" of the pulley. the belt would wear a bit, sit lower in the pulley grove and start to squeal. took awhile to sort out.

sounds like you've covered most of the bases. there are only three things that i can guess at.

1. all drive belts strech a bit, some more than others depending on thier rubber content and build. after installing, the belt sould be brought up to operating temp for at least 10 min (to warm and strech the belt) and then have the tension rechecked. overtighening can overload the pulley shaft bearings causing early failure.

2. road salt, slush, and all the other junk on the road getting on your belt/pulley causing slipage.

3. for what ever reason your P/S pump won't stay tight.

it sounds to me like your P/S system is ok, it's your P/S pump drive that's the issue. the squeal/shake is the belt slipping and the pump not turning smoothly (due to slipage), hence the shudder. i'd go out and tighten the belt, mark the pump (white out or some other easy to spot mark), and check it during fill ups for movement.

hope this helps, let us know.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
maritimesbob

Yup, that`s what I`m going to do. Take another look at the pump/belt and tighten it up again.

What`s the best/easiest way to access the pump so I can pry the pump with a bar to tighten it up? I had access to a hoist/lift before which made things easy standing underneath the engine!

I`m not working at the shop anymore (was layed off last week!) so I`ll be working outside or in a garage. I have stands and trolley jack. I`m guessing take the passenger front wheel off, remove the plastic splash shield, that would give me the room?

I`m inclined to think this is pump/belt related because a new belt works wonders for a few weeks, then the squeal/shuddering slowly returns. If the rack was the problem, surely changing the belt would make no difference?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i have the v-6 so i'm not sure. you could always ask the place you worked at if you could use the lift after hours. no matter what it'll be real fun. happy motoring, and let us know what you find.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
maritimesbob

Well I took the wheel off, put the front on stands. Barely enough room but I moaned and groaned my way there!! The belt seems in good condition but I`m not convinced the belt was very tight. I pryed the pump as much as I could to get the belt tight, then tightened up the bolts. I think I need to find something else to pry the pump as I don`t think I am getting the belt tight enough. I read that most use a bar in the square "hole" on the bracket as some kind of leverage. Would you happen to know what size bar/piece would fit this square "hole"?

I wonder why they chose to use the skinny v-belts for the power steering pumps and not the wider serpentine style belt, at least those have more surface coverage and a ribbed design for better grip.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
tomthedog
Captain

the hole should be for a 3/8 or 1/2 in breaker bar or ratchet to fit in.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
maritimesbob

What are Dayco belts like?

I`m going to have to get yet another belt, might as well get a good one. The last one was Prestone, it didn`t look very good. Just a basic looking v-belt, but a friend said Dayco are real good with a ribbed back for gripping the pulleys.

I`ll take the old belt off, clean the pulleys again, replace with new belt. Run engine to operating temperature and tighten belt again in case it stretched a little. God I hope it stays tight this time, getting sick of this power steering problem.

Starting to think every winter I`m going to be having these shuddering problems. It might be building my biceps but it aint doing the rack or front end any favours. I wonder if my fluid or the filter in the PS system could have come crap in it? I might pay the 50 bucks and have it flushed properly.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running Dayco belts seem fine to me ...Check the alignment as well , I was having similar troubles and examined the belt to find one side worn and burnt looking , and the other side near virgin , the pulley had moved slightly and was out of alignment

Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
maritimesbob

Well I found a supplier that sells goodyear gatorback belts, so I`ll pick one up in the morning.

Steering was terrible today probably because it was so cold. I don`t think the pump was turning too much!!! I could hear a noticable squeel for about ten minutes.

Funny because it has snowed this evening and the steering is just perfect, no shuddering and no squealing! Lol I guess the snow is creating less traction and less effort for the pump/belt!

Quick Reply: Ongoing steering problems