Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

Homemade or storeway to clean headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Linkinxp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Homemade or storeway to clean headlights?

What's the best way to clean the yellow residue of headlights?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WETSANDING:

Supplies:
Wet/dry sand paper 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000. If you can't find them all that’s okay. You can find them at any auto parts store. Get 1 or 2 sheets of each.
3M Rubbing Compound, it can be found at Kragen or any auto parts store in the auto paint section, by the sand paper. If not ask.

Instructions:
Start with the lowest grade sand paper (400, 600, 800....2000). Wet the sand paper before each use in a bucket of warm soapy water. Then start sanding headlight for about 3 to 4 minutes with each grid of sandpaper. Make sure the sand paper stays wet. Keep doing it until smooth...be patient. After done, dry and your lights will be a little hazy/cloudy..don't freak out. This is were the 3M rubbing compound comes in place. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle. Then it will look like new.

You may then want to try a product called LampGuard to protect your lenses from getting scratched up again.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Linkinxp

Awesome, I will try it this weekend, thanks so much

By the way i love your car

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No Problem , Take your time the better you get at each grit the better it comes out in the end ... A high speed buffer with the rubbing compound also will help greatly ...
Thanks for the compliment ...

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
pixelpadre
Rookie

Originally Posted by bad venge
WETSANDING:

Supplies:
Wet/dry sand paper 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000. If you can't find them all that’s okay. You can find them at any auto parts store. Get 1 or 2 sheets of each.
3M Rubbing Compound, it can be found at Kragen or any auto parts store in the auto paint section, by the sand paper. If not ask.

Instructions:
Start with the lowest grade sand paper (400, 600, 800....2000). Wet the sand paper before each use in a bucket of warm soapy water. Then start sanding headlight for about 3 to 4 minutes with each grid of sandpaper. Make sure the sand paper stays wet. Keep doing it until smooth...be patient. After done, dry and your lights will be a little hazy/cloudy..don't freak out. This is were the 3M rubbing compound comes in place. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle. Then it will look like new.

You may then want to try a product called LampGuard to protect your lenses from getting scratched up again.
It tickles me to death when I hear some say they can get scratches out of plastic lens by using sandpaper or someother snake oil product. Plastic is plastic. When its becomes scratched by years of driving on roads covered by sand, dirt, salt, or other natural abrasives, your only choice is lens replacement. Until we get congress to reinstate the use of glass lens, we will all suffer while manufactures getting rich at our expense.

Glass lenses were outlawed to allegedly protect pedestrians who could have survived the impact but bled to death from the glass lens of headlights.

So to save the lives of the 2 people that were stupid enough to challenge a car, the consumers must pay $300 per set of new lights. Do the math and find out how much we are paying to save the lives of stupid people.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Have you ever tried this ??? I have restored countless sets of headlights using this method ...
1) Dodge uses a hardcoat on these lenses and unfortunately overtime it yellows and flakes ..
Using the sandpaper removes it , and also removes the rock/stone chips that happen overtime , Do you even know what 2000 grit feels like ?? It's almost like rubbing with notebook paper and does a great job of removing the scratches ...Final buffing removes the rest ...
Here's the way I look at it $20 and some elbow grease for a huge improvement , versus spending $300/$600 for a set of headlights

Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sanding works fantastically.
Name:  head1small.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.0 KB

Here's the write up I did for 2g:
You will need:

Spray bottle for water
Wet/Dry sandpaper
320 grit (if yours were as bad as mine you'll need it)
400 grit
800 grit
1500 grit
2000 grit
Plastic Polish - I had 'Mothers'
Rag

Every item can be found at most auto stores and Walmart.

1.Spray water on the lense on give it a good sanding with your first sandpaper(320/400)
This is the main one so it will look horrible when you get first get done. Dont get crazy and press real hard, but get most of the crazing off. I moved it up and down over the entire lense, then side to side, then all around; make sure its wet the entire time.

2. Wipe all the water off, spray with water again and use your next grit.
These will buff and polish your lense back to its original clearness. Go over the entire surface again.

3.Use the same technique as your previous grits, and it will slowly get clearer.

Once you get to 2000grit youll really notice a difference, but it still wont be perfect, and it will look hazy.

4.Spray off the entire area with water and dry it good.

5.Finally, get out the plastic polish and buff away. I used a buff pad attached to a cordless drill and really worked it in.
let it dry per instructions on bottle, and wipe off.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
john1782
Professional
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
john1782
Professional

There was a company how to video on Youtube for the above product, just do a search for crystal View I think.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Linkinxp

I think i screwed up my left one ;( i use the sandpaper from 320 to 800 and then this polisher from advanced auto parts...and the plastic its foggy a lot ,... then i tried the polisher on the right one (without sanding) and its clear ... what can i do to fix the left one?

Do i need to add the polisher to the sandpaper?'

PS
Can i get aftermarket headlights for my Dodge Stratus 97 2.4 somwhere??

Last edited by Linkinxp; 01-16-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Homemade or storeway to clean headlights?