Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Hard start\check enging light\P0171 P0174

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 AM
lyterx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start\check enging light\P0171 P0174

My girlfriends car is having trouble starting and has two codes. Takes a few trys to start and sometimes idles rough like it has no fuel and lately doesn't start . I pulled codes and p0171 p0174 come up. I was pulling out of my parking spot at walmart the other day and it had no power and acted like it was running out of fuel and died. Seemed like it wanted to start but wouldn't. Went back a few hours later and it started up, idled rough, gave it some gas and it cleared up and drove home.

Not sure where to start with this. I have autoenginuity, but not with the dodge package yet. I am trying to get this fixed up without just replacing parts at random(she is real low on cash....). I did check for vac. leaks and that seems to be in order.

Some history on the car she recently aquired.... 2001, stratus se, 3.0l, automatic with 141,000 miles.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
BillS
Captain

usually those codes are caused by a vacuum leak or the maf sensor,try cleaning the mass airflow sensor,how did you check for leaks engine warm or cold sometimes makes a differnce ?did you use anything unlit propane torch or carb cleaner or just listen when you checked for leaks? or it could be a one time thing .happened to my mother recently on a '99 ford contour her light came on went over after worked and checked came up with codes 171@ 174 cleared codes checked for leaks ,didn't have any cleaner with me,thats been 3 months light never came back on

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
D Ryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by lyterx
My girlfriends car is having trouble starting and has two codes. Takes a few trys to start and sometimes idles rough like it has no fuel and lately doesn't start . I pulled codes and p0171 p0174 come up. I was pulling out of my parking spot at walmart the other day and it had no power and acted like it was running out of fuel and died. Seemed like it wanted to start but wouldn't. Went back a few hours later and it started up, idled rough, gave it some gas and it cleared up and drove home.

Not sure where to start with this. I have autoenginuity, but not with the dodge package yet. I am trying to get this fixed up without just replacing parts at random(she is real low on cash....). I did check for vac. leaks and that seems to be in order.

Some history on the car she recently aquired.... 2001, stratus se, 3.0l, automatic with 141,000 miles.
You might also check for fuel pressure and replace filter! Would have been a good time to hook up your laptop for the short and long term fuel trim readings. Here is video about that! enjoy!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 AM
lyterx

Originally Posted by BillS
usually those codes are caused by a vacuum leak or the maf sensor,try cleaning the mass airflow sensor,how did you check for leaks engine warm or cold sometimes makes a differnce ?did you use anything unlit propane torch or carb cleaner or just listen when you checked for leaks? or it could be a one time thing .happened to my mother recently on a '99 ford contour her light came on went over after worked and checked came up with codes 171@ 174 cleared codes checked for leaks ,didn't have any cleaner with me,thats been 3 months light never came back on

I listened first and then used carb cleaner, with engine warm. I did clean the already clean maf sensor. Took it out today for a spin and it ran great, pulled in my driveway and was goofing with laptop and it started idling real bad, touch gas pedal and didn't help and it stalled. Not CEL, but showed a P0300 multi cylinder misfire and wouldn't restart. Got home from work tonight and it started right up, stumbled a little and cleaned up to a smooth idle. I don't think it is fuel pump related after the P0300. Anyway I unplugged MAF sensor and tried to start and it acted like it did when it was misfiring. Plugged it back in and started right up. Is it possible for MAF to intermitently act up?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
lyterx

Checked fuel pressure today, not sure I got an accurate reading the way I checked it. Went to autozone and got a fuel pressure test kit on loan. It didn't have enough stuff to hook gauge up inline, so I was not able to check it with engine running. Hooked up gauge to fuel pump directly, turned on key and bled into bucket. It only showed 18-20 psi max, but pumped a steady stream when opening bleeder. Chilton manual says 47-51 psi.

So anyway did I get a correct reading hooking up directly to the pump?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
BillS
Captain

could be the maf sensor acting up maybe, or bad connection, have you checked the pcv valve and hose sometimes after engine gets warm could leak(seen it more on fords the elbow has a small leak) and give the 171 and 174 codes.doubt its fuel pump not sure what pressure would be sure it would be alot less without engine running

Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 PM
lyterx

It was the fuel pump. Picked up an airtex and the pump I took out was an airtex. These pumps any good?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Not from my experiences. At least they're easy to get to if it dies early

Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 AM
lyterx

Originally Posted by TNtech
Not from my experiences. At least they're easy to get to if it dies early
Other than OEM any better pumps?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
D Ryan
Rookie

iv'e had a airtex in our 95 olds for about 5 years now ! No complants!

What kind of fuel pressure did you get, at rest and running?

Glad you got her on the road again.

Quick Reply: Hard start\check enging light\P0171 P0174