General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wiper Fuse Keeps Blowing.......how to..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
bottomsup6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Fuse Keeps Blowing.......how to..

Hello,
i'm in the cleveland area and we were one of the many cities that got dumped on with snow. i was adding washer fluid and a huge piece of ice slid under the hood of my dodge ram '96. the hood caught the ice and wouldn' t le the hood close. so i removed the ice and closed the hood and started the truck. i got half way done my street and turned on my wipers to no avail they stopped working. i check the fuse to see that it was blown as soon as i put another one in boom fuse blew? is the wiper motor located under the piece of plastic just under the hood if so how to i go about getting to the motor to see if i am grounding out somewhere?

thank in advance.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:44 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wiper Fuse Keeps Blowing.......how to..

COuld be that you bent the wpier linkage. or cut a wire causing the ground. I'm not real familiar with those Rams.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:06 PM
casper
Legend

yeah I think the motor is under the plastic. I would say the same thing, you either bent somethin and its loading the motor, or you grounded a wire, look for the obvious.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:37 PM
bottomsup6

I removed the plastic cover and checked out the linkage and the motor, nothing seems to be bent or any wire severed. could this have blown my motor? if so is there a way to see if my motor is bad causing the blowing of fuses?

Old 01-05-2005, 04:01 AM
casper
Legend

Depending on the size of the sheet of ice, if it dented the case of the motor or somethin like that then maybe, but general theory is: "if it was working and you did something, and now it don't work, then that something caused the problem" You can quote me on that, I learned the hard way.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
bottomsup6

I checked and saw no nick or depression in the motor's housing. I was also sure to check the linkage and that doesn't look bent either, i am able to grab the wiper arms and push them back and forth, with a moderate amount of pressue? I can't tell you if the pressure feels like a lot or not for i have never had to deal with something like this?[:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
casper
Legend

I don't think you should be able to do that. I just went outside and tryed it with my car, mine won't move at all. I would say the motor is bad as weird as thats gonna sound, try hooking up the motor directly to the battery, see if it works.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
bottomsup6

I went outside and checked my truck again and the wiper definitely move by pushing them. i checked my buddies dodge ram and the wipers don't move at all? Would that be the case if the motor is blown.>>>>[&o]

Old 01-06-2005, 04:41 PM
casper
Legend

If they move pretty easy, I would say that something is disconnected somewhere. It could be in the motor it self, but I would take a real close look and make sure its in the motor.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
bottomsup6

When say easy i didn't mean like there was no tension in the wipers, i had to use some muscle. But even if the linkage was bent i would think the motor, if it was good, wouldn't allow the wipers to move? right>[:@]

Quick Reply: Wiper Fuse Keeps Blowing.......how to..