1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS unit humming

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 PM
tortorella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS unit humming

I read in other posts on here that the only fix would be replacement of the unit, i was just wondering if it could resolve its self when i replace front brakes. i NEED new front brakes and have parts in route just waiting for a warm enough day to do it. if i replace pads and roters and bleed system could it maybe fix itself? if thats a dumb idea would anyone recommend a rebuild of the unit, has anyone tried it, does it work?

got a lot of help just from reading on here on other problems of mine and first time posting thanks for the help!!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By humming do you mean the pump motor is running when it's not suppose to be?

As for rebuilding the ABS unit itself, you can however, it sounds much more like an electric problem to me. Is your ABS light lit on the dash? That would indicate a deffinate problem with the ABS module

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
tortorella

ya sounds like pump is running even after i shut the engine off.. abs and brake lights have be on and of then stayed on starting bout 2 days prior to humming. i replaced RF wheel hub with new abs sensor a few months ago (barring went out.. it was BAD!!lol) and have LF in route with new rear speed sensor so i could have all parts if the one i tried first didnt work. but now with the humming i dont think it was any of the problems i originally thought. Also no problem with speedo so the rear speed sensor was a shot in the dark.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad ground with the ABS pump module itself. It's located next to the master cylinder under the hood and has all your brake lines and a bunch of wires going to it, you can't miss it. First off just start by unplugging the wire connectors and cleaning those up.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's either an open short or the module is bad. Check for an open short and concitering you have the parts coming anyway replace. But if to no avail head to a junk yard and find a Durango that is the same year and 4 wheel ABS (with the front wheel sensors just like yours) and pic it up. It must be the same type system. Now just swap the modules out and it should be a easy fix.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
tortorella

thanks for the help im sure i will have other questions later seeing as how every time i get one thing taken care of 4 more pop up..lol

Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 PM
fantomlord

@ Tortorella,

So what was the issue? Im having the same problem with the ABS module hum. Replaced the whole ABS Module/Master cylinder and its still humming when the car is off.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Phil

Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by fantomlord
@ Tortorella,

So what was the issue? Im having the same problem with the ABS module hum. Replaced the whole ABS Module/Master cylinder and its still humming when the car is off.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Phil
He hasn't been here in 7 years. Don't expect an answer.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 PM
fantomlord
Default Ok thanks

Thank you

Quick Reply: ABS unit humming