2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic balancer went bad, it's bouncing around on the crank shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Turrens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer went bad, it's bouncing around on the crank shaft

So, my harmonic balancer is clattering, and moving around on my crankshaft. I'm trying to find out what if tools I need to replace this, and any advice from those that have done it before?

I've never had to pull my belts off before, so I'm not sure If I need special tools for that, plus I hear you need a special dodge branded "puller" to remove the harmonic balancer?

My truck is a 2001 ram 1500, 2wd.

I'm not sure what socket size I even need for the crankshaft nut.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Since you don't care if you screw up the old balancer, you can use whatever puller you happen to have, that will actually get a grip on it, and pull it.

You should only have one belt, just grab ahold of the tensioner with the appropriate tool, relieve some tension, take the belt off one pulley that is easy to reach, then slowly release the tensioner. The sometimes have a hole in 'em for a 3/8ths ratchet, or maybe a block on the end you can grab with a wrench. (or even, the end of the bolt on the tensioner pulley.....) Do NOT remove the bolt that holds the tensioner to the engine. Bad things happen when you do that.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Which engine do you have? They are both a pain in the butt. I've done two - one with the shroud and accessories off and one with everything on. They are different for 5.2 and 5.9. The latter has spokes while the former is solid. You can only get a replacement for the 5.9 at shops. If you have the 5.2 you'll have to go junk yard or dealer. If you've never even replaced a belt before, I'd take it to a shop for the balancer. It's not easy.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

This thread discusses the removal - shows an innovative way to remove it using a standard harmonic balancer puller - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ancer-off.html

Also, that balancer should be available in the aftermarket. Here is an example - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...onic+balancers

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Turrens

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Which engine do you have? They are both a pain in the butt. I've done two - one with the shroud and accessories off and one with everything on. They are different for 5.2 and 5.9. The latter has spokes while the former is solid. You can only get a replacement for the 5.9 at shops. If you have the 5.2 you'll have to go junk yard or dealer. If you've never even replaced a belt before, I'd take it to a shop for the balancer. It's not easy.

I've got the 5.9 gas engine.

I've done a decent bit, just never had the occasion to do a belt. It looks simple enough, but If I'm in over my head I'll need to just take it in and not waste my time. I recently replaced the wheel bearing and brake calipers and this job doesn't seem much harder based on youtube.. :P just pull the nut, pull the HB ,install new HB and torque nut. Am I missing something big?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Apply a bit of grease to the HB where the seal rides. Don't wanna install it dry.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

The nut holding the balancer should be removable with a 1-1/4" socket. A good impact wrench will easily remove it. Go for it!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:50 AM
jlake4130
Professional

Not supposed to use an impact to remove/install the dampener. However, im sure many people have without issues.
To be safe i'd use a large screw driver or something similar to lock the dampener in place (keep it from rotating) and use a ratchet to remove the bolt holding it on.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

In this particular instance, removing it with an impact isn't going to hurt anything. It's already bad.....

Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by jlake4130
Not supposed to use an impact to remove/install the dampener. However, im sure many people have without issues.
To be safe i'd use a large screw driver or something similar to lock the dampener in place (keep it from rotating) and use a ratchet to remove the bolt holding it on.
If you use an impact grade socket, to my knowledge and experience, there is no issue with removing the balancer nut with an impact wrench. If there is a particular reason why this shouldn't be done, I'm all ears.