Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Mechanics' Resources

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:48 AM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanics' Resources

Hello all,
I plan to ask the mechanic these questions but I thought I'd poll this community in case they try to keep the information private to encourage me to continue to use them instead of doing my own work...

Do mechanics have a master book that provides more information than the Haynes manual? If not a repair manual, at least a complete parts list. For example, I want to know what size my fuel lines are. Where can I find that information?

Where do 'good' mechanics get their parts from? I've had two mechanics that I thought did really good work tell me they "don't use 'cheap' aftermarket parts". Does that mean they have a different source, or they still buy parts from box stores and just know which brands to avoid?

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2024, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,339 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Depends on where the mechanic works. At the dealership, they have the factory service manual, which is MUCH more detailed than Haynes, or Chiltons. These days, to work on the newer stuff, the factory manual is pretty much a requirement. Back in the day, generic wiring diagrams were fine, but, today, your van has more computer power than the entire Apollo space program combined.... Things have gotten a bit more complicated.

Most independent shops still buy from the parts stores. Unfortunately, most of their parts come from overseas, and the quality thereof is all over the map. In general, quality of aftermarket parts has nose-dived in the last decade or so. Using dealer only parts is quite a bit more expensive, but, you are far less likely to get parts that are bad right out of the box.... or fail fairly quickly. Some of the aftermarket parts are better than others... but, it's still a crap shoot. For some parts, you pretty much HAVE to use dealer parts, as the aftermarket parts just don't do the job as well. Crank Position sensors being right up there on the list.... O2 sensors as well. If you can find who made the dealer parts, and find the same brand elsewhere, you can save a few bucks, but still get quality parts.

What I try and do, is get the dealer part number, then search on that. They can sometimes be found at significantly discounted prices, for the exact same part.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:23 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

From watching videos there are subscription services that have much better wiring diagrams than even the factory manuals. Wire traces from the ecu to everything it runs and back from the sensors. Love to get my hands on one of those.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

I did eavesdrop on the mechanic enough to notice that they were using this site: https://www.repairlinkshop.com/

It's about half of what I was looking for. It has really nice part diagrams and gives you part numbers. It looks like if you click "order" it looks like it directly places an order with the dealership you chose. I guess they contact you separately for payment. We'll see...

Now I just need to get my hands on a factory service manual (or the even better one Jeffersonracing mentioned.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:43 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

So is something like this what I need? 2000 Dodge RAM Van/Wagon OEM Factory Shop Repair Service Manuals | eBay
or this: 1994-2003 DODGE RAM VAN Service and Repair Manual (emanualonline.com)
Or are these the same except digital vs. hard copy?

Last edited by MKMcDonough; 02-15-2024 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Same, one is a digital download, the other is hardcopy.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:16 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There is another manual I found and I'm wondering if it has easier to decipher wiring diagrams in it. The shop manual gives info on testing and then says to go further you need the Powertrain diagnostic procedures service manual. I've found them on ebay, but when contacting the seller and asking if it is for the vans he says no just the trucks although it does mention jeeps on the cover. Can anyone give me an idea of the type of wiring diagrams that would be in that manual. I can't see the truck being much different than the van.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Parts are in different spots...... and wire colors are likely different as well. Connectors and pinouts are likely the same.... Will it work though? That, I don't know.

Old Today, 05:07 AM
Charger2025
Default Hi

Hi need manual in pdf for charger 2016 any help appreciated

Quick Reply: Mechanics' Resources